Sell anticipating correction or stay put ?

What do you think?

• Sell

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • Stay

Votes: 85 92.4%

• Total voters

wanaberetiree

Full time employment: Posting here.
That is the question!

Hello all

Wonder what our collective wisdom say:

— Good time to sell all now and wait for correction/recession
— Nope, stay put in the market

What say you ?

You must be new to this forum…

I have a clear view of last week, but not so sure about next…

That is the question!

Hello all

What say you ?

Well, by-and-large, the collective wisdom here would say "Don't sell." I'd say, if you're the kind who would sell, at least wait till you get some kind of cogent sell-signal and don't just try to read metaphorical tea leaves. Or actual tea leaves. Since even those who would say "don't sell" will also concede it's likely peaky now, you could sell now and have some (unknowable) chance of a better price later. 1-2-3-4 years.... you can't know. And how much better? Maybe not enough to go through the rigamarole of selling--waiting-buying back.

That is the question!

Hello all

What say you ?

Stop listening to pundits and reading headlines.
If you’re not comfortable with your asset allocation, go ahead and consider changing it. But don’t time the markets.

The poll is is missing the "I like bacon" option... :)

To be specific, market timing is bad, even when things look inflated, because it has been historically shown it turns out really badly (I am too lazy to cite one of the studies, but it is easy to see from just looking at historical active vs passive indexing performance, which even understates how poorly less professional market timers do).

My personal rule of thumb from what I observed historically, when you market time (gamble), you have to be right about a swing in the market within an average of two-years, AND correspondingly buy/sell at the right time, or you are have almost no hope of avoiding a loss. While bears generally tend to be short, bulls can really vary in length, so just getting the easier first half of that right is very risky.

Last edited:
Market timing question so thread moved to the proper forum.

Can't vote, again.... No option to vote for buy...

Gotta be right twice....when you sell and when to get back in. Are you that lucky or smart?

In that case, I say no!

This reminds me of a former Venezuelan President, who was famous for answering questions with “ni si ni no, sino todo lo contrario”. Roughly translated “neither yes nor no, but just the opposite”.

Last edited:
When in doubt, have a shot of tequila. Still have doubt, have a beer.

Yeah, over and over - :)

Stay put. Rebalance, rinse, repeat.

This.

Did my quarterly 'check' to see if I needed to rebalance. I rebalance typically if it's more than 5% out of wack. I was, indeed, 5% heavy in equities. So the stock fund and bought the bond fund this week.

So I guess I sold off.... but only to rebalance to my target AA.

Back
Top Bottom