Semiconductors: SMH vs FSELX

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
ETF: SMH's returns are lower but it does include ASML, unfortunately it also holds INTEL.

Mutual fund: FSELX holds more NVDIA than SMH but that stock is the largest holding of both. Both hold smal % of Taiwan Semiconductor and Lam Research.

I could buy a few shaes of ASML to feed my need for that stock and buy FSELX.

What would you do?

Funds can change their holdings so if you like ASML or NVDA enough, buy them directly. The roof of the new NVIDIA corporate building looks like a lumpy stingray..bad feng shui. Just kidding. :)

ETF: SMH's returns are lower but it does include ASML, unfortunately it also holds INTEL.

Mutual fund: FSELX holds more NVDIA than SMH but that stock is the largest holding of both. Both hold smal % of Taiwan Semiconductor and Lam Research.

I could buy a few shaes of ASML to feed my need for that stock and buy FSELX.

What would you do?

I think your plan to invest in FSELX with a chaser of ASML is solid.

FSELX is a favorite equity sector growth fund of mine. I would not dismiss INTL as a holding. Yes, it's been terrible for years but in 2021 they rehired their CEO from their glory days, Patrick Gelsinger, and are looking for a turnaround. Expect an announcement from Intel regarding their foray into AI and the resulting jolt in stock price in the next several months or so.

I would not call FSELX's holdings in TSM (5.07% of fund) and LRCX (3.80%) small, but relative to NVDA (29.6%) it might be considered so.

I would not dismiss INTL as a holding. Yes, it's been terrible for years but in 2021 they rehired their CEO from their glory days, Patrick Gelsinger, and are looking for a turnaround.

Is it starting today?

INTC Intel 053123.png

Back
Top Bottom