Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2021

This is a good one... Congratulations to you!

With the business my wife and I started (she works in it primarily while I do my contracting job) flourishing, we are at the point where I could walk away and we wouldn't have to touch our savings until she decides to shut the business down... and we could probably save money still.

At this point, I continue going to work because I can't stay home with the kids all day!:flowers:

So much for that last part!

I put in my three week's notice this past Friday. I'm out 2/18. All done working for "the man."

At age 44, I will transition to helping my wife with the financial and business side of our business while building my gig as an endurance sports coach. Thanks to our wonderful childcare situation, I will be able to pursue my own athletic endeavors while still young enough to enjoy them, and I'll be invested in helping others do the same while taking care of our home and spending time with my 3 and 5 year old daughters.

Thanks to this forum, FIRECalc, and discipline over the course of a 22 year working career (along with the military pension and healthcare), I'm able to give up the typical job life and "find my happy".

Call it ER; call it semi-ER; call it not retired at all but kinda working from home... whatever... I'm stoked. :dance:

I put in my three week's notice this past Friday. I'm out 2/18. All done working for "the man."
Call it ER; call it semi-ER; call it not retired at all but kinda working from home... whatever... I'm stoked. :dance:

Congrats Nash! That's awesome. I should be outta here later this year, barring some unforeseen event.

Just got notified that the pension servicing center has received my paperwork to start my pension in April. So - that does it I'm official for last day of work on March 31. Woot!!

At age 44, I will transition to helping my wife with the financial and business side of our business while building my gig as an endurance sports coach. Thanks to our wonderful childcare situation, I will be able to pursue my own athletic endeavors while still young enough to enjoy them, and I'll be invested in helping others do the same while taking care of our home and spending time with my 3 and 5 year old daughters.

Thanks to this forum, FIRECalc, and discipline over the course of a 22 year working career (along with the military pension and healthcare), I'm able to give up the typical job life and "find my happy".

Congratulations! Who cares about labels - you have a great situation of building a business around your passion... with free time and youth to pursue it.

Congratulations- the point is doing what YOU want to do! Cheers to you doing it!

Just turned 42 and hit 5M! Woot!

Only have 100 of shares of TSLA [emoji3]

Back to 5M!! woot! Hopefully, it won't be too short-lived this time :)
Since Nov: $5M -> $5.1M -> $4.6M -> $5M

-Equities down about $250k still
-Salary/Bonus/RE increase have offset.

Anyways, just highlighting the long game w/ diversity. Getting bogged down with the short-term volatility can be rough.

Well last Friday was DW's "last day" at work... until hours later they called back and convinced her to work 20hrs a week part time for a 3 week stretch in late June. On her schedule not theirs. She agreed to do it "to be nice", the team is trying to reach a deadline and they need her help to do it. Good company, but boring, crappy work. We're still very happy, though, her call and it has nothing to do with money.

Just ramping up some reckless spending plans... lots of travel (I FIRE'ed almost 5.5 years ago) and interesting Real Estate/home options.

I suppose this thread will be dry for few months until market reaches all-time high?

I suspect you may be right! :LOL:

I suspect that the first digit of the value of my retirement portfolio has changed. But not in the good way! :facepalm: So I am not going to look.

I'll share a different type of FIRE milestone - this one is "educational".

Yesterday marked 10 years since I first posted on this site (Interestingly, in those ten years through yesterday I had exactly 4,400 posts, not counting the ones the mods deleted for me being a troublemaker :D) . Here was my first post, a question about a Megacorp retirement offer: https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/new-here-considering-early-retirement-offer-61453.html

What I learned from that thread was just the start of my education from this site, which I rate among the best... simply because here no one is trying to hold anyone else back, everyone *wants* to see everyone else FIRE, and offer advice in that context.

So... cheers! :dance:

I'll share a different type of FIRE milestone - this one is "educational".

Yesterday marked 10 years since I first posted on this site (Interestingly, in those ten years through yesterday I had exactly 4,400 posts, not counting the ones the mods deleted for me being a troublemaker :D) . Here was my first post, a question about a Megacorp retirement offer: https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/new-here-considering-early-retirement-offer-61453.html

What I learned from that thread was just the start of my education from this site, which I rate among the best... simply because here no one is trying to hold anyone else back, everyone *wants* to see everyone else FIRE, and offer advice in that context.

So... cheers! :dance:

Nice post

My projected dividends (reinvested) exceed my military retirement, VA disability and DW's SSDI. Still can't touch any of it without a penalty since I'm a young wipper snapper but I'll let it ride. :dance:

That sound when you wake up knowing you have only one mortgage (the smaller one). And that feeling when you log into you Fido account and see the proceeds of the primary home sale wired in.

We are moving forward with a short plat on the property, which stands to be profitable.

Crossed over the $500k mark in total contributions all time. Kinda crazy to think an annual swing in total accounts value could approach that number. Not looking like the plus side this year though...

Well it finally happened. I FIRE'ed 5.5 yrs ago, DW <FINALLY> retired a couple weeks ago, and just now, I executed a transfer from my 401K at FIDO for $50k to our home bank account. Thus far, we have managed to leave our portfolio alone and pay the bills. Now this, to fund a "savings" account to plop automatic transfer bi-weekly "paychecks" into our household checking account. This will fund us for the remainder of 2022, with a generous monthly budget, and a home improvement and travel budget for the remainder of the year. Time to BTD!!!

Well it finally happened. I FIRE'ed 5.5 yrs ago, DW <FINALLY> retired a couple weeks ago, and just now, I executed a transfer from my 401K at FIDO for $50k to our home bank account. Thus far, we have managed to leave our portfolio alone and pay the bills. Now this, to fund a "savings" account to plop automatic transfer bi-weekly "paychecks" into our household checking account. This will fund us for the remainder of 2022, with a generous monthly budget, and a home improvement and travel budget for the remainder of the year. Time to BTD!!!
Congrats, doneat54! :dance:

Back
Top Bottom