Shipping Container Home

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If I still lived back on the eastern Montana Prairie this might be appealing instead of a double wide.

"Whether they stir up childhood memories of the Boxcar Children
or look like the coolest answer to today's
microhousing movement
shipping container
homes combine innovation and durability in one self-contained package. Some of them do, anyway. Others are multilayer constructions that treat the structures like LEGO blocks and culminate in super-luxurious homes.

In any configuration, a shipping container home is just what it sounds like – a dwelling made from a steel container otherwise used for shipping. From the basic to the lavish, the containers offer the benefit of a ready-made shell, but they can lead to confusion over what is necessary and allowable from site to site. In addition to learning more than you probably want to know about local building regulations, you will need to start by selecting a container or containers from which to build your home."

https://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/repurposed-inventions/live-in-shipping-container.htm

Attachments

• shipping-container.jpg
    shipping-container.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
We (DW) stayed in one in Europe. We were hosted while on a bike trip. Our host met us on his bike along our route and we rode back to his house together.

We turned into his 'yard' and before seeing his unit, there were a bunch of units double stacked which he was renting as storage rental units. Our concern did not decrease.

We reached his house which looked like the rental units. Well were we amazed. Once on the inside, the place was terrific. It was a very nice one bedroom unit with plenty of room. When inside, you could have never guessed what the outside looked like. Based on our one night stay, it is a great idea.

In any configuration, a shipping container home is just what it sounds like – a dwelling made from a steel container otherwise used for shipping.
That is probably great for those who want them.

As for me, a house made out of shipping containers is NOT my Dream Home! No way, no how, take that ugly thing away, it's not for me. :LOL:

That is probably great for those who want them.

As for me, a house made out of shipping containers is NOT my Dream Home! No way, no how, take that ugly thing away, it's not for me. :LOL:

Ditto.

I have made too many trips to Asia where the local help is housed in containers stacked about 5 high, just outside the construction site or chemical plant. Ladder access. No A/C. Minimal, if any, electricity.

I have no idea what the inside of these places look like, and no desire to find out.

I've had a design for a shipping container home I drew up a decade ago that I'd love to build, but yeah, have to live in the boonies or you won't be able to get it approved. You can get a huge amount of square footage with a cool industrial look for very low cost if you use them as the primary wall components.

How are the walls and ceiling insulated? What is the R rating? Given a container of standard dimensions, is the insulation added to the outside or inside?

How are the walls and ceiling insulated? What is the R rating? Given a container of standard dimensions, is the insulation added to the outside or inside?
This is the most important over looked problem and not to mention condensation issues. I opted for building a traditional tiny home on wheels with metal sidings. It's still work in progress but here are couple of pictures. 20191205_150949.jpg20191209_153342.jpg

This would be a big issue on hot climates. In Hawaii, I once used these for storage and field offices, and with no insulation and no ventilation, you felt like you were sitting in a superheated oven. I also had to climb up on top to patch the rust holes from time to time. Let's just say, I'm not convinced!

I went through a container house and a few tiny homes in Phoenix. I was wondering about insulation as well, but didn’t stay around long enough to question the sales person.

It's just cheaper to buy a used fifth wheel trailer, and they're very well equipped for short and long term living.

We have one stored in a mountain campground. It comes with Wifi and cable tv--for our 3 televisions.

Container homes sound like a great idea at first. America imports more than it exports so there are plenty of containers sitting around at fairly reasonable prices. Unfortunately, you need to cut holes in your new metal box for windows and doors. Then you need to build stud walls inside to hold plumbing, electrical, insulation, etc. (reducing the already limited space). Then you have to add a roof and siding to the outside so it doesn't look like a metal box. By the time you've done all this it would have been cheaper and easier to build a simple stick framed building fom scratch.

I suppose if you lived in a warm climate where no insulation was needed and you had an outdoor outhouse or something, it would make a decent cabin. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

There is an episode of Grand Designs there this was done.

Another trend to attract the young set. You know, "reuse" and all.

Here in NC we have the Research Triangle Park. When founded back in the 50s, suburbia was the rage, so they made all the companies form campuses in the woods. Nice thought.

Flash forward to today. The foundation wants to go in the other direction (high density), so they have authorized a small part of the campus to be made out of shipping containers.

It is called "Boxyard RTP". Still a concept, supposedly ready to start building. Concept rendering below:
https://boxyard.rtp.org/

Attachments

• boxyard.JPG
    boxyard.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Had a funny thought about working in a shipping container. For years, to encourage creativity, our bosses said: "You need to get out of your box!"

Can't say that anymore. :)

I lived in a shipping container for a year in Iraq with the army. It was fine, better than a lot of other options over there. However, I would not want to live in one as my permanent home. Then again, I like space. I don't have, nor do I want, a giant house. However, I like much more space than a shipping container provides. Even if a bunch were put together to make a larger house, I still don't like the sectioned off living spaces that would result. I like an open floor plan type house.

This being said, I wouldn't mind plopping one down on my hunting property to use as a cheap cabin.

Shipping containers are fairly popular in my area as storage buildings. There are several properties on the way to town that have one or two of them set up in their back yard. They're not that attractive, but I'm sure they're built like a tank, can hold a lot, and would certainly be cheaper than an ongoing rental at a storage company.

I still wouldn't want one in my yard, but if I did I would at least paint it to match the house or something. Most of the ones I see still have the name of the shipping company on the side. Tacky. :)

We bought a 40x9x9 Conex shipping container for keeping our horse hay in, near our barn. We need to keep the doors slightly open to keep the moisture down, so mold doesn't form. I often think that I could live in 360 SF with a high 9' ceiling, although insulation, and interior walls would eat into that.

Our 2011 Heartland travel trailer is 32'x8', (256 SF) and is more than comfortable to live in should the need arise.

Ironically a completely empty 40' conex weighs the same as our loaded camper ...9000#, no doubt which one is built to last longer.

I like the concept of a tiny home, but I realized that a tiny home is just a trailer home with more wood.

I'd like to rent one (or use AirBNB) to see what it's like to live in such a small space.

I suspect that a converted shipping container, or a tiny home, is better than a cardboard box under a bridge.

Back
Top Bottom