Sincerest gratitude to forum members

Bee4

Dryer sheet aficionado
My sincerest gratitude to those who helped me on my question last April -- go p-t salaried with benefits or hourly with no benefits.

I requested 30 hrs/week and pro-rated benefits at my annual review in May. I am now at 13 months and counting to full retirement. Recently with two fun travel weeks I "banked" 40 extra hrs which let's me just do little project coordination calls with my teammates and not have a real work week for a couple of weeks. Liking it.
I do find though that I have little patience left for interfacing with challenging people. That might lead to "a last straw" event where I just decide to give notice. And I was able to write job description for a "mini-me" that has turned out fantastic, with a professional friend deciding to quit and come work with my team. He is the only person at work who knows my exit plan, and that he then gets to take over completely. So stay tuned Forum Readers to see if I stick with it for 13 more months!

It sounds like you have put yourself in a good position to ease out the door. I actually found it easier to deal with any "challenging" people once I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. I would just silently think "in X months, I'll be gone and enjoying myself, but you'll still be a miserable jerk." And that would brighten my mood.

I agree with both of you on tolerating the BS. Part of me finds it easier to let it roll of my shoulders because I don't need to work, so it's easier to see it as a choice and that I can stop w*rking at any time. Other times, I feel like "I don't need to put up with this BS, I could be floating in my pool with a margarita rather than arguing with an insurance company". Either way, I found that going part-time has made life more balanced and my mood better. At part-time I think you'll find the 13 months to go quickly!

Good luck.

After a couple OMYs and 10 months away from my end date I couldn't take the idiots anymore.[emoji4]

My last work place was infested with such types. The truly good news is, once I left, they were 100% canceled from my existence!

I did part time for a couple years. I enjoyed it and it turned out well. Yes, your attitude does change. I didn’t find it easier to deal with the “special” people, but I did find it easier to ignore them. I pretty much did what I wanted to do while keeping my professional ethics in place. At some point though, once you make your number and you know you don’t have to work, it gets harder and harder to stay. After two years, they were letting people go and I happily volunteered to be let go. Keep an eye out for exit opportunities.

Back
Top Bottom