Slipping into Depression

Wow. I'm humbled by all the great replies. Exercise has been a part of my regimen but stopped recently. Started that first thing today. Working part-time now but no longer the boss...miss people kissing my ass and laughing at my jokes! Now I'm a hired hand.....many nice people but some treat you like a loser. It's very eye opening. Will evaluate my passion....home repairs....maybe renovation is a thing I should do. Also, school and mentoring are great ideas. All the best to all of you. :greetings10:

Do you miss the excitement any? I went through a period where I was super risk averse (success is collecting the pension for 60 years!) and I found I missed doing "exciting" things.

Apparently I do miss it. As DW said "You will take physical risks but not financial ones." This after I bought the motorcycle and we passed each other on a nearby road and she saw me scraping the floorboard in a turn.

And yeah, I miss the adrenaline rush of hearing the alert tone go off for ME, and going 110 mph through turns that grandmas fear to take at 40. Maybe that's why I think acrobatics in an airplane is fun.

As I said to a friend after a couple glasses of wine on the back porch: "I made sure all the financials were in order, and that DW would be comfortable if I got The Big Ache, but I didn't plan on what to do with me." This is proving to be a far more complex issue.

Wow. I'm humbled by all the great replies. Exercise has been a part of my regimen but stopped recently. Started that first thing today. Working part-time now but no longer the boss...miss people kissing my ass and laughing at my jokes! Now I'm a hired hand.....many nice people but some treat you like a loser. It's very eye opening. Will evaluate my passion....home repairs....maybe renovation is a thing I should do. Also, school and mentoring are great ideas. All the best to all of you. :greetings10:
I have not made the leap yet, but I'd also strongly recommend you read How to Retire Happy, Wild and Free (Zelinski) and/or Work Less, Live More (Clyatt). I'm also a type A/boss and I believe what you're experiencing is very common. Read somewhere that 'you must have something to retire to, not just from' and I believe it's a critical aspect of retirement, especially for type A's like us. You'll adjust, but it's not easy I suspect, you have to have new goals and interests (please read the books). Best of luck, you can do this...

If belonging to this forum can mellow me out, then...:LOL:
All kidding aside, sounds like you have a few options to explore there.

Re environment change, we'll laugh at your jokes (see It's Funny Joke Thursday thread) but most will [-]p[/-]ass on the other part. :ROFLMAO:
Sorry, that one was hanging very low on the tree.

May I ask what you are doing part time?

Part timers

I hit that point pretty early in my retirement and I am not a type A . The thought of endless social activities and luncheons bored me . I took some classes but I still needed something so I started selling on ebay . I started with just things around my house but now I've branched out to other merchandise . I do not do it for the money though the money is nice . I do it for a sense of purpose . I was totally burned out of nursing and needed something else . The thought of volunteering did not do it so here I am almost two years into retirement and an ebay powerseller . Who would have thought it ? I think the clue is to find something you like even if it is not what other people think a retiree should be doing . Some find their niche in hiking or travel or samba dancing for me it's shopping and selling .

If things progress (keeping my fingers crossed) as planned, I should be out of my 9-5 job (after 32 years) in a month or so. I have been too busy getting things in order (selling my business) to think much about "retirement" and all the things that go with it.

I have had some wishful thoughts about something to do part time, to supplement me (still 4 years to early SS) For a short time, years ago, I was an EBay junkie (buyer) I was curious about selling on EBay. Any tips on items to sell and other general tips?

Other job options? Like building birdhouses & selling them along the highway etc. :D

drb--I understand exactly what you're feeling. Though I've only been retired a few weeks, I'm already wondering if I made a mistake. I had a very difficult time making the decision to retire...it took me over a year to decide. I was burned out at my job, but now I find I'm often at loose ends and I miss the structure, the challenge, the interaction with my peers. Ugh.

drb--I understand exactly what you're feeling. Though I've only been retired a few weeks, I'm already wondering if I made a mistake. I had a very difficult time making the decision to retire...it took me over a year to decide. I was burned out at my job, but now I find I'm often at loose ends and I miss the structure, the challenge, the interaction with my peers. Ugh.
I'd also strongly recommend you read How to Retire Happy, Wild and Free (Zelinski) and/or Work Less, Live More (Clyatt). I believe what you're experiencing is very common. Read somewhere that 'you must have something to retire to, not just from' and I believe it's a critical aspect of retirement.
I have not retired yet, but I know I have to be occupied to be happy. Reading these two books gave me great comfort in thinking about retirement, I can't recommend them too highly.

Other job options? Like building birdhouses & selling them along the highway etc. :D

Two guys I knew did something like that. Sold fish from the back of a pickup truck along the highway for a couple of years. One got The Big Ache and passed on, and I haven't heard from the other.

When I first retired I felt exactly as you did in fact I was tempted to go back to work .After a few months of this I decided I needed to recreate my life first I joined a gym for social contact . I go to water aerobics several times a week and it gets me out of the house ,exercising and gossiping with nice women . We also go out to lunch on Fridays . I also started selling on ebay which keeps me busy and then I started reaching out to my friends and entertaining more . Look for clubs to join or things to do and you will create a new life .It just takes time .:greetings10:

I have always had too many hobbies to work :0 I would take some classes at the library, check out local college stuff, join some social groups. Or find a job that is so much fun that you forget that you are working!

Back
Top Bottom