Small Intestine Obstruction-Anyone had this?

Rianne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My PCP and surgeon at local hospital were sure I had gallstones. I ended up in ER 3 times. Finally, the bigger hospital in the area did ultrasound, x-ray, and CT scan. I did not have gallstones at all, I had an obstruction in my small intestine. Worse pain in my life. I begged for surgery after 30 hours in pain.

The surgeons ended up controlling the pain and put a NG tube from nose to stomach for 3 days. Total 4 days in hospital, no food or water. That fixed the problem, back to eating, but smaller meals. I do not want this to happen again. I personally think this happened from a crazy abdominal exercise I was doing. Twisting and extending abs to strengthen for back. They said from old scar tissue.

Has anyone had this?

I had a friend with a similar set of symptoms. But he was a weightlifter and took tons of supplements, handfuls at a time. He ended up with an obstruction caused by all the buffering products in the pills. In his case it became a matter of taking fewer at a time, but pretty much all day. It's probably not the same for you. All I can say is good luck on not having a repeat.

Sorry this happened. I've had something similar, which is highly unusual in adults. Major medical center surprised to see similar case a year later.

You mention scar tissue. My issue, too, although the blockage was at the entrance to the small intestine causing pyloric stenosis. The scar tissue is believed to have been caused by a healing ulcer.

For me, repeated endoscopies have been successful in pushing the scar tissue back widening the opening to allow food and water to pass. I'm not sure how frequent they will be in the future since this only happened two years ago. So far, I'm fine with the last procedure in February.

By-pass surgery is an option, but one to be avoided at all costs. I eat smaller meals, avoid large chunks of hard-to-digest foods like pineapple. Tell myself that drinking acidic Diet Coke with meals helps! So far, so good.

Our somewhat differing scar-tissue locations in the gastro track, though, indicate different treatment protocols.

Good luck. It was a miserable year prior to diagnosis with a couple of misdiagnoses along the way (reflux, irritable bowel). But unlike you, I was fortunate enough to get a CT scan that first trip to the ER.

Last edited:
I had a hospital stay due to an obstruction. It had happened in smaller amounts for months prior. I was told to take Magnesium citrate when I felt the intestine pain. After the hospital stay months were spent looking (probing orifices) for a cause. they kept asking about previous surgeries, so I guess that is a common cause. I'm convinced the doc just wanted to bill.:facepalm:

Took the initiative to treat it myself as if I had IBS with constipation. Though I was like clock work, I wouldn't completely empty in 1 sitting. My results from food avoidance were mixed. Then about 75 days ago started a very low calorie, low carb, high protein diet. Symptoms have totally disappeared.:dance:

Couple of key points I noticed on the "medi-weight loss program":
1) Many of the vitamins had magnesium in them.
2) huge doses of B6 & B12.
3) Mood has greatly improved.
4) my food volume and stool volume is tiny. I only eat about 12-16 oz of chicken, 2 oz of cheese and 3 or 4 pickles a day.

I'm due to go back to eating normally in 30 days or so. Which will be the true test of success.

After behavior examination, I wonder if tight pants around the waist adds to the problem. I went to see doc, and he showed me the CT scan on his computer. Pretty cool. He showed me the "loop" where the twist was. CT scans are fascinating. The rest of my organs are ok, but they saw cysts on the kidney, apparently pretty common. As doc moved the CT scan results, showing me my insides, I was going "What's that and that" He got a little frustrated.

My small meal approach is working so far. And I am losing weight. Doc said lots of fiber, but chew food to almost liquid state. I used to wolf food down as fast as I could, do not know why. And I could put away a 1/2 lb. of pasta in one sitting. I weigh 137 and am 5'4" so my weight is ok and has been pretty normal. I had the bad habit of eating so fast. Doc also said part of my colon was working faster than the other part (assuming small colon vs large colon). Wish I had an internist MD for a relative. I'd drive her/him crazy with questions.

After behavior examination, I wonder if tight pants around the waist adds to the problem.
Wouldn't surprise me.
[/QUOTE]
My small meal approach is working so far. I used to wolf food down as fast as I could, do not know why. [/QUOTE]
Same here. Usually older brothers or prison time will instill this trait.

Obstruction

I am sitting in the hospital right now watching my son sleep after 6 days of testing, pain and vomiting. Tomorrow they will operate to fix what they have finally diagnosed as a small bowel obstruction. He's a tough young man but this has been a hellish ordeal even by the standards of someone who last year, at age 21, had a colon resection and 6 months of chemo.

Luck Club I'm interested in your food cure and wanted to ask a bit more. So that's all you are eating for 100 days or so, chicken, cheese, pickles? It seems extreme and I wonder why just those three things. I do get the low carb, high protein!

Luck Club I'm interested in your food cure and wanted to ask a bit more. So that's all you are eating for 100 days or so, chicken, cheese, pickles? It seems extreme and I wonder why just those three things. I do get the low carb, high protein!

Happy to elaborate. It is mostly those items, but some times I'll have fish or beef. Today's meals which is often a typical day included:

2 eggs 2 slices of turkey lunch meat 140 cal
4 oz chicken 140 cal
1 oz cheese 110 cal
1 fried chicken breast 180 cal
small salad of romaine lettuce and Italian dressing ??
4 oz chicken 140 cal
Multi vitamin, 1 fish oil, 2 inner balance, b12, b6, vitamin D.

Yesterday:
2 eggs 2 slices of turkey lunch meat
4 oz chicken & 2 oz of broccoli
1 oz cheese
2 pickles
6 oz of steak & salad
1 celery stick dipped in french onion dip
1 oz cheese
4 oz of chicken

Both days I had vitamins which include Multi vitamin, 1 fish oil, 2 inner balance, huge doses of B6 & B12, and Vitamin D. I went generic, but I'm taking all the vitamins, non of the "fat buster, etc". I occasionally take the appetite suppressant. Signature Weight Loss Supplements by Medi-Weightloss

I've been formulating another poll about weight loss and mood. My mood has been really good. For years I've had ups and downs associated or triggered by life's events.

I had an acquaintance die of sepsis rather quickly after surgery to try to repair a small instestine obstruction. It's serious.

I am sitting in the hospital right now watching my son sleep after 6 days of testing, pain and vomiting. Tomorrow they will operate to fix what they have finally diagnosed as a small bowel obstruction. He's a tough young man but this has been a hellish ordeal even by the standards of someone who last year, at age 21, had a colon resection and 6 months of chemo.

So very sorry. It’s scary when they go into the intestine. Surprised they didn’t at least try the NG tube first. Six days of that kind of pain, I feel for your son. Sending prayers and healing thoughts. He’s too young to go through that.

Thank you Rianne. The surgery was a complete success. An adhesion creating a loop in the small intestine. Found and fixed.

Thank you Rianne. The surgery was a complete success. An adhesion creating a loop in the small intestine. Found and fixed.
Glad to hear.

Back
Top Bottom