Snakebite!

They're sneaky little bas*ards too. They sometimes camouflage themselves to blend in as regular non threatening species. Almost normal. But then they strike with lethal venom. No warning. No rattle.

And then your left standing there wondering how you never saw the snake and why you didn't wear boots or somehow protect yourself. As the life slowly sucks out of you.....

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Well said.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

They're sneaky little bas*ards too. They sometimes camouflage themselves to blend in as regular non threatening species. Almost normal. But then they strike with lethal venom. No warning. No rattle.

And then your left standing there wondering how you never saw the snake and why you didn't wear boots or somehow protect yourself. As the life slowly sucks out of you.....

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Damn spooky that we all had the same boss.

Around here if you see a snake like that it's an Indigo snake.

Back when I was fulltime RV'ing we spent a few winters near Kingsville.......there was an indigo lived in the reeds near one of the small lakes......oftentimes I'd try to sneak up on it to view it in its entirety...but the birds would tip it off and all I ever got to see was the tail disappearing into the water.

Judging from what I did see it was a fair size.

Back when I was fulltime RV'ing we spent a few winters near Kingsville.......there was an indigo lived in the reeds near one of the small lakes......oftentimes I'd try to sneak up on it to view it in its entirety...but the birds would tip it off and all I ever got to see was the tail disappearing into the water.

Judging from what I did see it was a fair size.

Yes they do get quite big and are very shy. We stood still once and watched on working the edge of the river. Usually any hint of a human and they are out of there!

Related to king snakes, hence the rattler eating. The state park next door has plenty of them plus numerous roadrunners. You'd think with all those rattlesnake predators they'd have none left, yet there are still plenty around.

Glad to hear the young lady survived and sorry to hear about the dog's fate.

After 30 years in the oilfield on producing well sites, new drilling locations, field offices, pipe yards, compressor stations, etc, in states like Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, California, Colorado, etc, I have seen my share of rattlers in various situations.

I have never been bitten, but have killed several. The shovel was my main death instrument! Killing them on a lease road (on caliche) was fun to video (haha).

Some situations and what oilfield workers have to deal with daily:

1. Around pumping units and tank farm tanks, these little menaces like to hide out under equipment in sandy soil. You have to watch where you walk.

2. Gas meter house - typically a small porto-potty sized metal building housing a gas meter and plumbing going in and out sitting in the sun. Before opening the metal door, it's best to whack it with a stick and listen for the peeved off rattler you just woke up. Tie a rope on the door and open it from 10 feet away.

3.Compressor stations. Lots of noise from the large heat exchanger fan. Must be very careful going in buildings and opening doors. Around 55-gallon drums is a great place for a snake to hide waiting for a field mouse to strut by.

4. Pipe yards and equipment storage areas are loaded with places for snakes to lay low or nest. I have seen a snake come out the end of a 6" diameter pipe on a rack with other pipe.

5. Scruffy areas around well sites. Many time I have almost stepped on a rattler just walking from the truck to the pumping unit.

Leather boots are a must, and heavy coveralls over denims. I always carried a stick. The major oil companies do not allow any firearms on their sites. Many independent oil companies follow that rule, but it is bent from time to time.

This post made me think of some photos I saw on a construction site... didn't find the one I was looking for, but did find this...

Attachments

• Snakebite2.jpg
    Snakebite2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 44
Yes they do get quite big and are very shy. We stood still once and watched on working the edge of the river. Usually any hint of a human and they are out of there!

Related to king snakes, hence the rattler eating. The state park next door has plenty of them plus numerous roadrunners. You'd think with all those rattlesnake predators they'd have none left, yet there are still plenty around.

Here we have bull snakes that make a hiss sound that mimics the rattle, and without the triangle shaped head. People say the bull snakes eat the rattlers, but this is not true. What happens is the bull snake are better hunters and the rattlesnakes go away to find food elsewhere. Bull snakes do not kill or eat rattlesnakes.

Here we have bull snakes that make a hiss sound that mimics the rattle, and without the triangle shaped head. People say the bull snakes eat the rattlers, but this is not true. What happens is the bull snake are better hunters and the rattlesnakes go away to find food elsewhere. Bull snakes do not kill or eat rattlesnakes.

A bunch of bull, then...

Back
Top Bottom