Sneakers cheap vs longevity

I'm pretty tough on shoes. I can't justify $50-$100 for a pair of sneakers I'm going to tear up doing something stupid anyway. I somehow manage to kick something sharp or oily, or drop something on them, or whatever. My new "dress" sneakers get downgraded to "working" sneakers pretty quickly.

I've tried $10 WalMart sneakers, but those are crap. The $20-$25 price point seems about right, but it's very rare to find anything that will last. And when I do, they're discontinued by the next time I go looking, or the price went up to $50.

It would be interesting to hear some specific recommendations (brands and retailers) in the quality, under-$40 range.

Bought Anhu walking shoes. Not cheap but one of the most comfortable shoe I have worn.

I have been using Nike Air Monarchs for at least 10 years now. I buy one pair a year. I always have 3 pairs in use. The first year while they are nice and clean I use them for my every day shoes and by the end of the first year they still look good. The 2nd year they are used for my walking shoes, which means I use them for our 3.5 - 4 mile walks five days per week which is equal to about a 1000 miles. By the end of the 2nd year the shoes look fairly scruffy and most of the tread is worn thin on the soles but the shoes are still structurally sound and comfortable. The third year the shoes become the shoes I use for yard work and mowing. By the end of the third year they are just about shot. These shoes never require any kind of break-in, comfortable from the first day I put them on. They are still comfortable after their three year life.

I usually get these on sale at Kohl's or Penney's when they are on sale for $54.99. I think they list for about $65.00. I currently have two new pairs in the closet which will hold me for the next two years.

25-30 years ago in my late teens to early 20s, I had always bought cheap shoes, and I invariably wore holes with my big toenails and ripped the outside seam. I tried Reebok (I think "Classic") tennis shoes. They were so soft and comfortable, and the leather was so thin I was sure I was going to destroy them in no time. Nope, I never put a hole in them or ripped them, although eventually the white coating above my toenail did start coming off.

So I stuck with those for years.

For work shoes I settled on "Deer Stags", but they became hard to find eventually.

So somewhere about 15 years ago I kind of went on a protracted shoe hunt and wound up with New Balance for sneakers and Dunham (which is still NB) for work shoes. I'm paying over $100 a pair, but I had really poor luck with other shoes, so I've been sticking with them.

I imagine technology has come a long way, so maybe I could try some cheap ones again.

I'm quite heavy, so I wear out the shoes by compressing the soles before the outsides become a problem now. I buy upgraded inserts, and I used to try to get two insert cycles per shoe, but with the inserts I'm buying now, when they compress, the shoe is compressed, too. And then my feet roll outward and begin to hurt, even with new inserts.

Some shoes I tried a number of years ago that didn't work for me for various reasons include Sketchers, Red Wing, and Sas, even though the latter two are highly recommended for on-feet job wear. But ultimately I think it depends on how the individual wears out a shoe.

Edit: For the Dunham work shoes, at one point I was replacing them every six months, but I was on my feet constantly for work.

Last edited:
I have been using Nike Air Monarchs for at least 10 years now. I buy one pair a year. I always have 3 pairs in use. The first year while they are nice and clean I use them for my every day shoes and by the end of the first year they still look good. The 2nd year they are used for my walking shoes, which means I use them for our 3.5 - 4 mile walks five days per week which is equal to about a 1000 miles. By the end of the 2nd year the shoes look fairly scruffy and most of the tread is worn thin on the soles but the shoes are still structurally sound and comfortable. The third year the shoes become the shoes I use for yard work and mowing. By the end of the third year they are just about shot. These shoes never require any kind of break-in, comfortable from the first day I put them on. They are still comfortable after their three year life.

I usually get these on sale at Kohl's or Penney's when they are on sale for $54.99. I think they list for about $65.00. I currently have two new pairs in the closet which will hold me for the next two years.

Nike Air Monarchs get my vote also, just bought 2 pair for me 1) Black 1) white with black highlights and red around the swoosh and a pair for my son. Nikes online site $54 and free shipping plus free shipping on returns. $65 in stores locally.

There used to be an app that many online shoe sellers used, called "Shoefitr", that you could use to compare one shoe vs another in 2D and 3D. I didn't try the 3D, but the 2D was great to compare a shoe that worked for me but was continued against prospective replacements. If it was any narrower across the ball of my foot, I knew it wouldn't work.

Then Amazon bought the app, used it for awhile and now have discarded it. They may have an improved version in the works, but it's been a year or two. I wish at least they'd have kept the old version going. Sometimes I feel like ordering a pair of shoes every week and returning them and making a comment that they should restore shoefitr to avoid these returns. I won't, but they really did take away a very good thing.

Comfort was/is my number one priority. Over 15 years ago I had a pinched nerve and it just drove me crazy. I would sometimes feel a little discomfort during the day but it would wake me up at night with a shooting pain near the ball of my foot.

A trip to a podiatrist indicated I have a high arch, wide toe box and a very narrow foot otherwise. Hard to fit to say the least.

A friend recommended Brooks athletic and walking shoes and I haven't looked back. I only have one pair of "walking" shoes - the kind that look a bit nicer than athletic shoes. However, I've been on a three year rotation of athletic shoes. The new pair is my going around town, look reasonably nice set. The second set... two years old or so is for more knocking around the house and limited running around town. The third set... three years old or so is for yard work and other tasks that get the shoes dirty. As the shoes age I cycle them through to the next lower grade/duty.

Brooks are not inexpensive at approximately $100 a pair. Once I found my size and particular model I look for them on sale and keep them until I need a new pair.

Comfort is definitely the way to go in my mind. If my feet hurt, my whole body hurts.

I used to buy New Balance, but I went to a real show store and actually got fitted. Not sure yet of the longevity, but they increased my size one full size. They are Brooks and very comfortable.

As has been mentioned, I cycle my shoes from "dress" to yard wear and then to the garbage. I'd think that since I don't run or work in my sneakers, they should last more than a year.

I buy barely worn sneakers, various brands, usually around $3-$5 and found at yard sales and Thrift stores. (No visible wear on the soles-like new insoles). They can be tossed into the washing machine on delicate and double spin, then dried in the sun. They then look like, and smell like, new. Since I keep about 5-6 pair around, I rotate them daily, or due to the colors of clothing worn (black, silver, white). I have one pair of Nikes that are a little tight, so I wear them only when sock less, and for shorter periods of time (3 hours or so). Currently have Puma, Adidas (x2), Nike, Brooks and a new pair of Fila that were close outs at Meijers for $17.50! Entire collection cost less than $50.

Used to only have a couple of pair, but recently have gotten lucky and found my size more often and am enjoying the variety!

I buy barely worn sneakers, various brands, usually around $3-$5 and found at yard sales and Thrift stores. (No visible wear on the soles-like new insoles)!

That's one thing I can't bring myself to do, wear someone else's clothes. My wife loves goodwill, she'll try on dozens of shoes in the store and wear clothes without even washing them first

That's one thing I can't bring myself to do, wear someone else's clothes. My wife loves goodwill, she'll try on dozens of shoes in the store and wear clothes without even washing them first

I understand.
However, most of us did it as kids (hand me downs). Also, every time you stay at a motel/hotel you are using someone elses sheets, pillowcases and towels.

For sneakers my hubby buys NB for width. He’ll buy two pair and alternate. He is a true believer in Rockport prowalkers. They come in wide widths and last. They are his ‘go to’ Shoes. [emoji4]

There are just so many great brands of "sneakers."
My dress shoes are size 15A, so need less to say reasonably priced shoes are rare.
My sneakers are Merrills, and I like the lug tread when I cut grass on steep hillsides.

Otherwise, all I wear are Dockers boat snoes. I am on my fifth pairs of identical shoes in to various states of wear. The oldest are used when painting and buildimg. Dockers are the same quality of Sebagos and other brands but at Hal the price.

Back
Top Bottom