Snip Snip

For men only: Have you had a vasectomy?

• yes

Votes: 47 42.0%
  • no

Votes: 65 58.0%

• Total voters
And an FYI, for the ladies, I have been plagued by migraine headaches that are hormone related for as long as I can remember, taking expensive triptan drugs every month. After DH had the procedure last May, and I went off the BCPs for the first time in my life, I have not had ONE SINGLE MIGRAINE.

A freaking miracle, and had I known that would be the case, well, you could have added one more DIY project to my list as I'd have taken care of it on the spot! :)

And an FYI, for the ladies, I have been plagued by migraine headaches that are hormone related for as long as I can remember, taking expensive triptan drugs every month. After DH had the procedure last May, and I went off the BCPs for the first time in my life, I have not had ONE SINGLE MIGRAINE.

A freaking miracle, and had I known that would be the case, well, you could have added one more DIY project to my list as I'd have taken care of it on the spot! :)

Brief (no pun intended) aside - Imitrex is going generic in the next year or so.

2Cor521
Former migraine sufferer

Wow, who would have thought a thread about boy parts would get some male members feeling sensitive?

To all the men who grasp the vast difference between birth control pills, tubal ligation and other drastic things women have done for birth control - a big :-*:-*:-*

For the guys who think birth control pills are not a big deal - try taking one and see how you feel! I tried after college and it made me totally crazy - imagine pms X 100 - i couldn't concentrate, i felt like i wanted to jump out of my skin - and forget about it if you miss a day and take two! It's like a day after tijuana hangover. Some people can take them with little consequences, my sis has been on them for a LOONG time and they actually benefit her severe cramps...but me, NO WAY!

And for those of you who think your lady should undergo another surgery (if they didn't have one w/ a c-section) after giving birth - i'll happily join Martha and Sheryl, but bring only dirty, dull instruments and the duct tape someone else mentioned!

i don't think a vasectomy even compares to a 4th degree tear (which i had after #1) or episiotomy which they give with no anesthesia, they just cut!

If I recall correctly if the man or woman are married is there some kind of counseling that is given and in some cases does there have to be consent from both parties in order for the snip snip and the tubal ligation to become a reality.

Please correct me if I am wrong in my assumption.

Years ago while we were driving thru Abilene Texas there was a bill board which advertised vasectomy reversal. How well it works remains to be seen maybe the couple would find out in about 9 months.

God Bless Us All:angel:

Back when DW and I discussed this, there was legitimate concern (later disproven) about vasectomy increasing the risk of prostate cancer. To my relief and her distress, we agreed that tubal ligation was best.

So far it's working...

That is incorrect, Wags. No such consent is required. Some doctors may ask questions if the person requesting the surgery is very young or childless, but certainly I gave no sort of permission for DH's procedure. We are happily childfree.

Rich, how much did you have to pay to have those studies published where your wife could see them? :)

Twice, the first one was a real hoot. You never want to be splayed out like that and hear the doctor shout, "God damn it!' and then watch him start throwing things and running around the room tearing things out of drawers and throwing them on the floor while cursing. This was in 1978.

The second one was for repair. I have one of the few 6+" vasectomy scars around. Once in the hardware store some guy way bragging about his heart operation scar. My vasectomy scar is longer. I shut him up pretty quick. It is a pretty good way to win a bet. No one believes me when I tell them, "That's nothing. I have a vasectomy scar longer than that."

Twice, the first one was a real hoot. You never want to be splayed out like that and hear the doctor shout, "God damn it!' and then watch him start throwing things and running around the room tearing things out of drawers and throwing them on the floor while cursing. This was in 1978.

The second one was for repair. I have one of the few 6+" vasectomy scars around. Once in the hardware store some guy way bragging about his heart operation scar. My vasectomy scar is longer. I shut him up pretty quick. It is a pretty good way to win a bet. No one believes me when I tell them, "That's nothing. I have a vasectomy scar longer than that."

Consider yourself lucky that you did not end like the great John Wayne Bobbitt who almost met his demise way back in 1989 at the hands of his wife (now ex) Lorena when she dismembered the poor devil with a kitchen knife.

CBS News - Lorena Bobbitt, 15 Years Later

Lorena Bobbitt, 15 Years Later, A New Job, A New Man, And Focus On Helping Others - CBS News

Just like in the case of the Bobbitt's we all deserve second chances.

God Bless Us All :angel:

Geez, it's hard to believe it's been 15 years. Those of you who hesitate should spend a weekend with our teenager. It was the right decision when she was six months old and that hasn't changed a bit.

Our discussion went something like this:
"Wanna have another one? What if we had a boy this time? Compared to this one, how bad could the second kid be?"
"Boy or girl, what if they're even worse than this one?!?"
"OK, good point. Never mind!"

Balboa Naval Hospital used to have mass v-briefs (so to speak)-- a dozen guys would file into the room looking at each other out of the corners of their eyes. ("Is this the right place?" "The right place for what?" "Uh, never mind...") I had to submit a special request because we were under the two-child requirement, but all reluctance disappeared when the corpsmen found out that they'd be keeping an officer from re-procreating.

As for the shaving, you just have to approach it with the right equipment (so to speak) and enthusiastic help. Spouse had a great time. The itching of regrowth was by far the worst part of the experience.

I don't know if this is the current practice, but I had a "local" anaesthetic. The downside is that I could still feel various tools grinding & grating as they were being applied, and you really don't want to smell the work of an electric cauterizer coming from that area of your anatomy. But it must have speeded my recovery because I took it easy for a day and then was back in action. No complications, no stitch problems, no side effects, and so far I'm still sterile.

In the first couple months after 9/11, when metal detectors were cranked to max sensitivity, it was a little difficult to convince the TSA screeners that I really did have staples down there. For most of a year I traveled through airports wearing just a t-shirt, shorts, & slippers. But they must've gotten tired of discussing the issue and dialed back the senstivity.

A vasectomy is an intensely personal decision, but I believe that it's unfair to expect the other spouse to bear the burden. Unless, of course, they decide not to have kids by you or anyone else ever again.

No one believes me when I tell them, "That's nothing. I have a vasectomy scar longer than that."
You may be the first poster to have his picture-posting privileges suspended before you even get a chance to abuse them...

I intend to get snipped once we finish having all our children, but I'm not done just yet!

Our daughter has been a total joy for us and we are super excited about planning out our second little miracle. :)

I remember having an appointment for the operation when i was with my first wife,i made it to the clinic door but at the last moment decided to go to the tavern next door instead.Glad i made that choice because that first wife ended up running off with my best friend shortly thereafter. 5yrs after that i met my current wife who i've been in love with for 32yrs now and we've raised 2 of the best kids a daddy could ask for thanks to my love of beer.:D

You never want to be splayed out like that and hear the doctor shout, "God damn it!' and then watch him start throwing things and running around the room tearing things out of drawers and throwing them on the floor while cursing.

Huh, my tile guy did the same thing yesterday after polishing and bullnosing all four sides of a piece of marble and then having it break on him.

As an aside, I read an article some months ago about an angry wife attempting her own extended vasectomy on her husband with a kitchen knife. This is the photo that was attached for a very brief time before it was changed by someone with no sense of humor.

BTDT, back in '99. No regrets. I don't feel any need to replicate my DNA or bring more resource consumers into the world. I believe we need fewer people in the world, not more.

Brown bag a sample and bring it in to the lab and they'll get back to you.

Don't know about you, but I used a sterile sample vile provided by the physician after the procedure (a brown bag might have been messy)>

The doc that did my procedure was a 7th Day Adventist (small town--everybody knew everything about everyone). He got the sample vial, acted embarrassed, and told me that after "about 16 ejaculations" I should submit a sample.

I felt a little fun was in order--I looked at him in disbelief and said "won't that grow hair on my palms?". I actually had him for a second, before I cracked up....

The hospital where the sample was to be delivered was 1/2 hour from where I lived, and I was told very explicitly that the sample should be submitted within 10 minutes of the lizard being milked. So I reluctantly had to go into the hospital restroom and polish the old rocket.

I show up at the lab with my sample vial, and there is a mid-twenties lab tech (I was about 40 at the time). Yes, I was embarrassed. She asked me "is it fresh?" I gruffly responded "yes." Then she asked "how fresh?" Good heavens! I thought about responding "I'll tell you if you tell me what colour panties you are wearing!" But settled for "pretty darn fresh!".

nuff said....

I had it done about a year after we got married. She was talking about getting a tubal litigation and I volunteered to go because for me it was an office visit and a few days off from work. And I knew that she was absolutely terrified of surgery.

I'd heard other guys at work talking about having it done and as one put it "Everything works but you're just shooting blanks." Everything went as advertised, a little sore & walked like a cowboy for a few days but no big deal.

:D...maybe I should have said anything on two or four legs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom