So what are we driving?

1985 Chevy Silverado pickup: Primary vehicle. Gets horrible gas mileage, but it's long since paid for, cheap to fix when it breaks, you can abuse the hell out of it, and heck, work's only 3.5 miles away anyway, so it's not like I'm making the oil companies THAT rich whenever I drive it! :D

2000 Dodge Intrepid: Used to be my primary vehicle, but I let one of my roommates borrow it. He has about a 20 mile commute to work, versus my 3.5, so I figure I'd let him take advantage of the better fuel economy. It has about 130,000 miles on it, so it's not like it's worth all that much anyway.

1979 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Avenue: backup car. I bought it about 5 years ago, because for some reason, I've always found the big 1979-81 Mopars to be pretty cars. Most people probably don't agree with me, though. I try not to drive it in the winter though, because, well, they weren't so hot with rustproofing their cars back then. Especially Chrysler, which was in the throes of bankruptcy at the time. It has very little rust on it, and I'd kinda like to keep it that way.

1976 Pontiac LeMans: Toy. Ever since I was a little kid and my Dad took me to see Smokey and the Bandit, I thought these were cool. Most normal people probably lusted after the Trans Am, but I thought Sheriff Justice's car was cool! Okay, well his was a 1977, but the '76-77 are very close in style.

1967 Pontiac Catalina convertible: Another toy. Always liked the style of these too, ever since I was a little kid. Found this one for sale at a used car lot back in 1994, fell in love, and it followed me home.

1957 DeSoto Firedome: Yet another toy. When I was a kid, my Granddad had a '53 DeSoto that he bought from his brother-in-law, with the intent of fixing up as a second car. Granddad was a shadetree mechanic, but as the 70's wore on, emissions controls and computerized stuff ensured that his breed would have a difficult time surviving. I think his intent was to use it as a secondary car, so he and Grandmom could use it for some of their driving. That would help prolong the lives of the cars they currently had, and help them hold off on getting a new car. Anyway, because of that, I knew what a DeSoto was, where I'd imagine most people my age wouldn't, unless they're really into cars. I think I first saw a picture of a 1957 DeSoto when I was about 15, in the 80's, and I fell in love. Finally found one in 1990, and bought it.

1968 Dodge Dart: was my daily transportation once upon a time, but it's mainly a home for the wasps and rodents now. 338,000 miles, and quit running about 5 years ago. All it needed was a fuel pump, but I didn't have the money, time, or patience to mess with it at the time. I have the money now, but not the ambition. And since it's sat, other things have gone south on it, like the driver's door sticking shut, brake pedal falling to the floor, etc. I'll get rid of it, eventually, but just been too lazy.

'03 Subaru Forester - 90,000 miles (me)
'01 Subaru Legacy - 105,000 miles (hubby)
'93 Nissan Pickup - over 150,000 miles

All paid for.

'05 Ford F350 Diesel 4x4 - long bed. 28,000 mi.

Truck is driven about 20 miles/week to the gym/grocery store and back. Mainly used to pull our 34 ft. Fifth-Wheel trailer to our paradise of choice.

Plan to drive until motor vehicles are replaced by personal flying vehicles.

'03 VW Passat - 49,000 mi.

Daily driver. DW drives primarily to girl scouts, soccer games, grocery store, etc.
Will drive until it dies. I'll go back to a Toyota or Honda next. I think the maintenance and repair costs are extensive. DW liked the german engineering/handling.

yelnad said:
'03 Subaru Forester - 90,000 miles (me)
'01 Subaru Legacy - 105,000 miles (hubby)
'93 Nissan Pickup - over 150,000 miles

All paid for.

Yelnad, you guys sure drive a lot. Live far from work?

Ha

Mclesters, FD, take a look at Hemmings.com and go to the Hemmings Muscle Machines.

My car was on the cover of the September 2004 issue. Also the 8 page article they wrote was called Swan Song. 73 was the last year for the SS chevelle and the year they changed the body style.

I wish I knew how to post it here but I'm a little slow with computers.

1997 Toyota RAV4, about 70K miles, bought new in late 1996. Still runs pretty good, will keep it. This car was my self-indulgence -- I had just got my first NIH grant, and was up for promotion to Assoc Prof, and was feeling pretty good. And my 10 year old Corolla was starting to need work.

Used to have a 1999 VW Jetta, but when we moved to a place where I can walk to work (what a luxury!), sold it to a medical resident, since we now only needed 1.05 cars.

OMG, I'm in love! :D

Thanks--and I'm going to have go pick up a copy of the magazine to ogle that awesome 1970 4-4-2 that is featured in the most recent issue. I think that might just be my dream car! The only cool car I've had was a 1970 Caddy convertible--we turned 30 together, then I sold it, as we had to get the boat outfitted for cruising. I can have only one time/money sink in my life at a time!

Mmmmmmmmm...your car is SWEET! What a bunch of work! WOW!

Sarah

2003 2500 HD Chevrolet with 8.1 liter engine and 5 speed allison trans. Towes 26" TT in summer and is daily driver in winter to get over the 4600' pass to work each day.
44K miles.
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Daily driver rest of the year. 88K miles.
1990 Buick Reatta DW's summer car 215 K miles.
1967 Jeepster Commando fire trail rig 118K miles.

All free and clear.

HaHa said:
Yelnad, you guys sure drive a lot. Live far from work?

Ha

I drive 46 miles round trip each day and my car is the "family" car that we take on all weekend trips and outings. I bought it new. My husband is an Account Exec for a bank so he's on the road all the time. His territory is all of PA except Philly and Pitts. His car was used and had 27k on it when he bought it? The truck is also used and had 50k on it when we bought it. Yes, we beat them pretty hard ;)

1998 Pontiac Bonneville 155k - Our commuter car. Love it... pissed they stopped building it. Yearn for an '05 GXP.

1990 Chevy 2500 188k - The workhorse

1977 Chevy 1500 ? miles - Family heirloom... can't stand to part with it.

1994 Impala SS 102k - Her hotrod.

1972 Chevelle ? miles - My hotrod. 454 cubic inches... zoom zoom. :D

I forgot the weekend toy, the 52 Ford Pickup

Attachments

• trucksnow052.jpg
    trucksnow052.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 14
  • trucksnow052.jpg_thumb
    30.7 KB · Views: 3
BEAUTIFUL TRUCK!

You guys keeping these old cars/trucks running deserve major kudos! I love them but we lack the space/energy/time to maintain one right now.

Sarah

1994 Acura Integra - 112k miles, 5spd . LS only, so small weak, underperforming engine... either that or my shifting is not good enough.

2006 Chevy HHR 14,000 miles (had 13,000 when I bought it in Oct. traded in '96 Mitsubishi Galant)
2004 KIA Spectra ~4,000 miles (traded in '97 Buick Century)
2003 Torker Boardwalk 6-speed bicycle, decked out with chrome fenders, and lots of lights. 8)
1987 Schwinn 10-sp mtn. bike, decked out with chrome fenders, and swept-back handlebars.

And if I take on the part-time j*b I've been offered after ER, I'll be driving a 45 foot Prevost Motor Coach

Attachments

• prevost 1a.jpg
    prevost 1a.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 7
  • prevost 1a.jpg_thumb
    18.4 KB · Views: 7
'98 Ford F-150 XLT extended cab w/140k miles.
'07 Toyota Camry LE 4 cyl. auto trans.

Traded a 1990 Honda Accord that we bought new & drove for 16 yrs for the Camry. I'll be getting a new truck prior to retirement.

cube_rat said:
A high-end german made car. I'm spoiled now from this particular brand of German cars :mad:

Hey, Drip Guy - Very cooool vette....

Thanks! I was never a Corvette nut, like many owners are, but the new one has refined things really well - no more squeaky box of rox feel... :LOL:

My 'weekender' is a 2000 Ford truck - sometimes feel that is much more my style. 150,000 miles; still drives and looks like new.

2005 Ford Five Hundred for Dad
2002 Mustang Convertible for Mom
2005 Jeep Wrangler for the kids - 16, 18 and 20

Nice income stream for the insurance man!

I'm a big fan of bringing back the horse!

2006 Ford Expedition 4x4 Limited - paid cash, ordered from factory, 16K miles
2006 Ford F350 4x4 diesel pickup - paid cash, ordered from factory, 4K miles

Sold last year: 2000 Ford diesel full size van, 1997 Ford Expedition w/177K miles.

We plan to keep these until 177K also

You too can Fire !

Stop workin' and start livin'

- just git those expenses down ! ;)

Attachments

• MyLittleRide.JPG
    MyLittleRide.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 22
  • MyLittleRide.JPG_thumb
    36.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Shack.JPG
    Shack.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 16
  • Shack.JPG_thumb
    29.3 KB · Views: 3
I drive a 2003 Toyota Camry. We bought it used in 2005.

I used to drive a 1990 Toyota Camry, we passed that one down to our younger son. He recently got hit on the left side, just past the door to the gas tank. The poor car already had an advanced case of rust, so it looks even worse now. It wasn't his fault and the other driver's insurance has already told us that the car is a "total loss", but it's still drivable so we are keeping it for now. Whatever they pay us for the accident we will set aside for the next Toyota. It won't be very much.

Hubby drives a 1995 Ford Ranger. It's been paid off for a long time and he just uses it to commute so it's a keeper.

Our 22 year old son just bought his own 2007 Toyota Yaris. He graduated from college last May and is in his first well paying job. Toyota has a wonderful college financing program for recent college graduates. Unless you have something negative in your credit history they assume you are credit worthy. He got a very good rate for a first timer and a $400 rebate.

Sue J said:
Toyota has a wonderful college financing program for recent college graduates. Unless you have something negative in your credit history they assume you are credit worthy. He got a very good rate for a first timer and a $400 rebate.

Sounds like a business decision to attract customers for life, if done well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom