Son joining corporate world

Look slightly disheveled, walk around a lot really fast, carrying a clipboard, while staring at the floor and talking to yourself...

Walk the the halls in a hurried fashion, with a load of papers under your arm, and a pissed off expression.
You will then be deemed incredibly productive and will be promoted.

Last edited:
If you want to not be bothered or appeared lost in thought pretend to talk on your iPhone or appear deep in thought on your iPhone without making eye contact.

This book may help: “Corporate Mission Possible - The Manager's Guide to a Successful Corporate Career”, available at Amazon. He may not be a manager yet but who knows...

If you want to not be bothered or appeared lost in thought pretend to talk on your iPhone or appear deep in thought on your iPhone without making eye contact.
Hah. I had a co worker who I would IM to call me on my work phone when Bothersome Bob walked over to my desk. Problem was I woulf say excuse me I have to take this and he would stand and wait for me to end the call.

Sad to say in the corporate world that even some professionals have no respect for other peers lunches. At Megacorp, the admin staff even had to post signs on the kitchen fridge. " Don't take other people's food". So hands off my lunch.
People stealmmy lunch. Pisses me off. Sometimes I just leave it jn my truck and eat it luke warm lol.

This one's just simple and practical -- I told my (adult) kids this.

If you can, always have a clean shirt (and maybe even pair of pants) in your office. The day of the big presentation is the day you'll spill spaghetti on yourself at lunch.

Learned this the hard way. :)
True that. Another piece of advice...nice shoes are expensive...leave them in the office and commute in your cheap sneakers. Lots of people do this in snowy climates. I once had to borrow a belt to a superior who had a big presentation. He was super grateful his broke.

Always keep a clean cloth hankie on your person.

Any advice that I could give him?

- enjoy your life
- spend less than you make
- learn as much as you can as soon as you can
- visit us at least yearly
- call your mother weekly

People steal my lunch. Pisses me off. Sometimes I just leave it in my truck and eat it luke warm lol.

......... I once had to borrow a belt to a superior who had a big presentation. He was super grateful his broke.
Now you know who was stealing your lunches.

A lot of good advice of what to do. I'll give advice of what not to do.

Do not trash talk any coworkers of management to you peers. You never know what their connections either are, or might become. Those peers may become your manager at some time. Try to stay away from office gossip. And there is a lot of that.

And use your best judgement on those all you can drink alcohol fueled office parties.

- enjoy your life
- spend less than you make
- learn as much as you can as soon as you can
- visit us at least yearly
- call your mother weekly

Call your mother weekly. Probably the best advice in this entire thread:)

She will be happy, he can vent (a little). Everyone Happy.:dance:

And use your best judgement on those all you can drink alcohol fueled office parties.

That reminds me of a local corporate legend -- a couple of guys who ran a bar started a sideline into frozen pizzas and hit it big. One of the annual perks they offered members of their executive staff was to join them on a big-game hunting trip out west.

It was offered as a bonus to their most successful workers, but it tended to get pretty boozy out there in the wilderness, and by the time they all got back, the cherished executive often found himself in the doghouse. The bonus junket could turn into a career killer.

Once again thanks for all of the advice. I'll make sure he gets it.

Alums from big state and other schools often frequent a particular Chicago bar for big games (I know there’s one the Kansas “kids” go to, one the Mizzou grads congregate at, etc.). A good way to make friends. I hope your DS enjoys Chicago as much as my kids have!

Back
Top Bottom