SS and Deflation

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So, we all know that we're getting a raise in January from SS due to inflation. The following year may also be equally advantageous as inflation is expected to continue through '22.

BUT...at some point inflation will/should/might calm down, possibly even reverse.

Could we expect a 'cut in pay' if we end up in a deflationary period? Has that ever happened in the past? Or would we sort of 'lock-in' our benefit with no downside?

Asking for a friend.

Ask your friend to take a look at the SS COLA adjustments for 2009, 2010 and 2015. The inflation rate was less than 0% for each of those years and the COLA adjustment was 0. No COLA related SS pay cuts.

Ask your friend to take a look at the SS COLA adjustments for 2009, 2010 and 2015. The inflation rate was less than 0% for each of those years and the COLA adjustment was 0. No COLA related SS pay cuts.

Ok, but 2009 inflation was negative 0.36%. I'm thinking about something like negative 4,5 or 6% for an extended period (years). Do you think it will hold under that scenario?

It will never go negative.

" To compensate for the effects of inflation, Social Security recipients usually receive an annual cost-of-living adjustment (COLA). According to parameters outlined in the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. §415(i)), a 5.9% COLA is payable in January 2022. For a retired worker receiving the average monthly benefit amount of $1,565, the COLA will result in a $92 increase in Social Security benefits (after final rounding down to the nearest dollar for a total of $1,657). Social Security COLAs are based on changes in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W), updated monthly by the Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The COLA equals the growth, if any, in the index from the highest third calendar quarter average CPI-W recorded (typically, from the previous year) to the average CPIW for the third calendar quarter of the current year. The COLA becomes effective in December of the current year and is payable in January of the following year. (Social Security payments always reflect the benefits due for the preceding month.) If there is no percentage increase in the CPI-W between the measuring periods, no COLA is payable. In other words, the Social Security COLA can never be negative, and benefit levels are not reduced, even during times of a decreasing price index. No COLA was payable in January 2010, January 2011, or in January 2016. The January 2022 COLA will also be applied to Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and railroad retirement “tier 1” benefits, among other changes in the Social Security program. Although COLAs under the federal Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and the federal military retirement program are not triggered directly by the Social Security COLA, these programs use the same measuring period and formula for computing their COLAs."

I'm thinking about something like negative 4,5 or 6% for an extended period (years). Do you think it will hold under that scenario?

Nobody expects that to ever happen (of course, nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition either).

We certainly haven't seen such big deflation since the Great Depression and it doesn't seem to be in anyone's crystal ball now.

Yes, a floor of zero COLA is great for beneficiaries, not so good for the Trust Fund though.

If we have significant deflation, I'm guessing we'll have bigger problems than SS cutting our monthly checks. Oh, and speaking of cutting our SS checks, have you checked the crashing SS lock-box (er, I mean the Social Security Trust Fund)? If you want to worry about something, worry about that.:( YMMV

Oh, and speaking of cutting our SS checks, have you checked the crashing SS lock-box (er, I mean the Social Security Trust Fund)? If you want to worry about something, worry about that.:( YMMV

Fair enough but I've been warned about that since the day I started my first job 55 years ago.

Last edited:
Nobody expects that to ever happen (of course, nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition either).

We certainly haven't seen such big deflation since the Great Depression and it doesn't seem to be in anyone's crystal ball now.

Nobody expected 6% positive inflation rate either but here we are. Of course its a matter of if it's "transient" but I've heard reports that it will run until '23 or longer. Let's hope for the best.

FWIW, my original question was more academic than a fear of the reality coming to fruition.

Nobody expected 6% positive inflation rate either but here we are. Of course its a matter of if it's "transient" but I've heard reports that it will run until '23 or longer. Let's hope for the best.

FWIW, my original question was more academic than a fear of the reality coming to fruition.
It may not be policy now but if you see a Bonus Army camping out on the National Mall you might want to start planning for it.
The Supreme Court has ruled SS can be modified by Congress anytime. I won't plan on it for this year or next though.

Not worried about it.

Back
Top Bottom