Staying Motivated after FI(re)

Whenever making a big change in your life, it is always better to be moving towards something than merely moving away from something.

There are literally gazillion things you can do if you have time, money and health. Everyone needs to figure out what are they going to retire to. I view such planning very much akin to financial planning. Just like you setup multiple cashflow streams before you retire, you need to also setup multiple "activity streams" before you retire. You have to do some introspection to figure out what activities will appeal you. The internet is full of ideas. If you describe your personality and health condition then people can make specific suggestions.

There are literally gazillion things you can do if you have time, money and health. Everyone needs to figure out what are they going to retire to. I view such planning very much akin to financial planning. Just like you setup multiple cashflow streams before you retire, you need to also setup multiple "activity streams" before you retire. You have to do some introspection to figure out what activities will appeal you. The internet is full of ideas. If you describe your personality and health condition then people can make specific suggestions.

Good post. It is fairly easy to find things to do. There are many of us who made good money and got the ego satisfaction out of it, but just don't need it anymore.
There are so many possibilities of interesting things to do when retired.

silvor. There is so much good advice here, I don't who to tip my hat too first. Let me try to summarize what I have read...

At a minimum, someone in your FI position has *choices*. Lets first acknowledge the luxury of choice and how few people get to be in your position.

Do you want to keep working? Great. You have f-you money now, so chose the projects that challenge and excite you. Say NO more often. What is the worse that can happen? F-you money, remember.

Do you want to figure out what your RE life might look like? Then coast in your current job. Do the damn work, of course, but spend the extra time playing with new ideas, directions, etc. For me, this took the shape of going half time but for you it might look different. Again, I defer to the excellent advice that others have given you.

Celebrate where you are. It is amazing. Then move.

Thanks Silvor, for posting this. I'm in the exact same boat. Especially since we're all working from home full time, I really can't see any reason to quit. I kinda hope I get laid-off.

Well just keep working until you don't want to. I noticed you plan on making your kids pay for school another year or two work could help fund them some school. You realize you make enough money so they won't get need based aid? IMO those kids end up stuck between a rock and hard place.
I was in a similar situation. Dad made too much and 7 of us went through college. Having worked and paid my own way, gave me motivation and a sense of accomplishment. Poster could always gift a down payment for first house after graduation

Anyone go through this? Any advice?

I haven't exactly gone thru that, but I am four months away from retirement and not feeling motivated at work already.

Perhaps if you read some biographies of rich people you would get some ideas. It seems like a lot of them have charities. Maybe you could create a new goal to make enough to provide a scholarship. I have no idea how that is done or how much money it takes to do it, but I think if I wasn't old and really needing to retire that kind of goal might motivate me to keep working.

I was in a similar situation. Dad made too much and 7 of us went through college. Having worked and paid my own way, gave me motivation and a sense of accomplishment. Poster could always gift a down payment for first house after graduation
College is a lot more expensive these days

I didn't say they should pay for college, I said it's expensive and might be a pro for continuing to work...How old are you? If you are older then 40 paying your way was a whole different things then it is now.

We did partial funding for our DD's they went to an in state school, got done in 4 or less, worked part time on campus. Worked hard in HS to get scholarships. We paid for the rest of the costs.

Why not try a month or two month sabbatical and try a few things? See how much you miss work, pick up anything that interests you outside of work, etc.

Giving up good money is tough, but being unhappy at work is worse.

I experienced both, and "re-invented" my work routines several times to get back in the happy mode (usually lasts a few years). I retired in 2016 and was more than ready to go.

As far as what you do in retirement. I struggled for about 6 months with getting into a routine and doing the things that I was interested in. You'll find something.

I just sat at my desk, surfed the internet and waited for the phone to ring.

Please say that is partially hypothetical. Not sure how to get away with that at w*rk. Don't like the w*rk "piling up."

People also know who can do/will do the w*rk and that's who gets the w*rk.

Last edited:
I don't really want to retire, as I really don't know what I would do all day. I have read the "what did you do today" threads and, no offense, nothing I read there really appeals to me.
For a while after I retired, I tried to sound busy to respond to the “What do you do all day” comments I got from family and friends. One day it dawned on me that the reason I retired was so I didn’t have to do anything. Now my response to anyone who asks is “As little as possible”. :LOL:

That being said, since retiring: I’ve gone on a book reading binge (50 books last year, 37 so far this year); I started taking guitar lessons; I bought a bike and love hitting the trails in our forest preserves; I even started taking over some of the housekeeping duties (stacking/unstacking dishwasher and vacuuming) which delights the DW.

That's me.

I love doing absolutely nothing. Just appreciating being alive every day is enough for me.
Two thumbs up to this.

Nothing beats sitting up late on a beautiful Sunday evening, enjoying a glass (or two) of good Scotch, listening to some great jazz, and realizing you don’t have to go to the office in the morning.

That's me.

I love doing absolutely nothing. Just appreciating being alive every day is enough for me.

Thank you for saying this! I'm almost 5 years in and honestly I now find inner pleasure in simple things. I don't need to be "busy" to feel complete. It's almost been like a spiritual awakening.

Are you indispensable? That is no fear of repercussions if you try to explore alternatives. maybe you could negotiate a 30 hour work week for less salary or whatever is needed to get health benefits, etc. or half day Fridays, or a 4 day/ 40 hour work week. Something that would allow you to ease in to more free time.

The joy of thinking about the "weekend" being Monday through Friday. Still off Saturday and Sunday but they're not the same.

Wish the other half had the same thought process on this topic 😕

Please say that is partially hypothetical. Not sure how to get away with that at w*rk. Don't like the w*rk "piling up."

People also know who can do/will do the w*rk and that's who gets the w*rk.

I worked in a small satellite office. 5 people, the boss (who moved to the main office), 3 sales guys (who were out in the field) and me (who was in the office alone)

So, if the phone rang, I answered it. If the sales guys needed help, I gave it. If a customer called, I helped him (or her)

Otherwise, I surfed the net, and played hold'em on the computer.

Easy.

I'm 50 and hit my FI goal which I pretty much saw coming for the past 3-4 years. I am having trouble staying motivated at work, and kind of life. I mean, I planned for this time forever, but now that I'm here, so what?

I don't really want to retire, as I really don't know what I would do all day. I have read the "what did you do today" threads and, no offense, nothing I read there really appeals to me.

I'm making good money (for me) at Megacorp, and don't see a reason to go on, but don't see a reason to quit. I still plan on saving the max in my retirement accounts. Then I think, "WHY"?

Anyone go through this? Any advice?

I think many here went through that. We create financial goals for ourselves but not personal or life goals? You don’t mention a spouse but retirement can be life changing so what does your family think?

While the money to FIRE is critical so are all the other parts. What will you do with the next 40 years? Ever play the “I won the Mega Jackpot lottery and let yourself dream? Write them down, now which are real desires and which are kind of crazy? Narrow the list down to what you find important, exciting, sustainable, and real. Figure out what would make you happiest and see if your FI will alliw that. Maybe you love what you do just not who you are doing it for or with. Maybe do it on your own or for someone else? Maybe try something new like having a store or volunteering but do something you love. It sure doesn’t sound like you are living it….

Ideas

I’m about 6 years away from my FIRE number, so consider that.

First, I’m an over-achiever, but that’s because I wrap too much of my identity in achieving at work. I don’t know if you’re similar, but I’m working on breaking that mentality now and hoping FIRE will challenge me to do so.

With that said, I’ve thought about outsourcing vs FIRE when I hit my number. So keep working, but pay someone to essentially play the role of the house spouse. Hire a cleaner, get someone to do my meal prep for me, don’t do my own laundry, all of those things that take time away from me getting to relax when I’m not working.

Another thing I do is keep a list now of things I may want to do after FIRE. Some items:
- Learn to play guitar
- Self-care like it’s my job
- Volunteer for refugee services
- Travel more
- Do consulting
- Take philosophy courses at the local college/university
- Take on more mentees

Last edited:
I
Another thing I do is keep a list now of things I may want to do after FIRE. Some items:
- Learn to play guitar
- Self-care like it’s my job
- Volunteer for refugee services
- Travel more
- Do consulting
- Take philosophy courses at the local college/university
- Take on more mentees

Like your list. It'll grow and shrink with time as desires change.

If you want to stay "busy" (with love) in retirement get a high energy puppy.

Silvor, great post. I'm in a similar position, but older than you. I have been struggling with the whole "what am I going to do all damn day" issue, and while I have made a few lists of things that interest me, I don't really have an answer to it. So, my plan when I retire is to figure it out. Friends who retired have all told me that they wonder how they ever had time to work before.

Now as my days at work are numbered, I just need to figure out the right time to pull the trigger. It's not long though.

You need some hobbies. With hobbies, you’ll soon find out that there are more enjoyable things to do than work.

Back
Top Bottom