Stocks are expensive?

freedom2022

Recycles dryer sheets
Even though I am in the market over two decades, I am still not a sophisticated investor. I look at simple overall measure of the market: Shiller PE ratio and S&P 500.

S&P 500 reached highest ever in late 2021/ early 2022. Shiller PE ratio reached second highest about the same time. They both kept going down until Fall 2022. Then, S&P 500 kept going up fast until July 2023, however Shiller PE ratio not so much.

Looks like the market is very optimistic about interest rate will go down soon.

Any thought?

The market is banking on earnings growth to keep it propped up. If earnings don’t keep pace, we could be looking at another bad market ‘20, ‘22 and TBD.
I will also say, that if/when rates drop, it won’t be a positive for the market, it will be in reaction to a recession. Watch what you wish for.
When rates drop, folks holding current coupon bonds will benefit.

Last edited:

Any thought?
I guess it depends on your definition of "soon". (Sort of like what is the definition of "IS".) :LOL: Okay, I won't go there.

Listening to the Fed this week it sounded to me like rates may stay this high or higher, for longer than they anticipated. So if "soon" is late 2024 or even 2025, then probably yes. If soon is this year, then NO.

Last edited:
Yes, they are. About 25% based on current and forward P/E ratios compared to their long term averages.

Even though I am in the market over two decades, I am still not a sophisticated investor. I look at simple overall measure of the market: Shiller PE ratio and S&P 500.

S&P 500 reached highest ever in late 2021/ early 2022. Shiller PE ratio reached second highest about the same time. They both kept going down until Fall 2022. Then, S&P 500 kept going up fast until July 2023, however Shiller PE ratio not so much.

Any thought?

Yes I have a thought :LOL: I cannot stop thinking ;)

The Shiller PE10 is not really a short term indicator. Maybe a case can be made for it being a very long term indicator but only in the extremes. I do not invest that way.

I do not think the SP500 reaching high levels is actionable. Look at all the times it reached new highs.

Unemployment going up above it's moving average AND the SP500 breaching a 12 month moving average would get my attention. The first condition has been met but not the second ... yet. Also troubling is the amount of time the yield curve has been very strongly inverted -- not a good sign at all.

Here is the FRED graph of 2 views of the yield curve with recession shown:

image2.jpg

Last edited:
Slightly undervalued based on my historical 10% expectations.

StockHistory.jpg

The price of any given stock is irrelevant given the fact that you can now have fractional ownership.

Look at the overall company itself for long term value style investments, or if you are swing trading, or even shorter day trading, you really just want to buy and consider for market cycles.

PE ratio is just one indicator. And not a very good predictor at that. Shiller PE thingy --10 years ago indicated the market was "too high". How did that work out?

PE ratio is just one indicator. And not a very good predictor at that. Shiller PE thingy --10 years ago indicated the market was "too high". How did that work out?

I agree with you on Shiller P/E ratio, and I prefer gold 'ol historical P/E and forward P/E ratios.. But if P/E ratio is "not a very good" indicator, then what do you use to assess whether stocks are valued reasonably?

I agree with you on Shiller P/E ratio, and I prefer gold 'ol historical P/E and forward P/E ratios.. But if P/E ratio is "not a very good" indicator, then what do you use to assess whether stocks are valued reasonably?

PE ratio is just one component.

I don't pay too much attention to valuations in any given year because they change year to year due to a multitude of factors. Moreover, making investment decisions on where I think the market is going in any week, month, even couple years is an impossible game.

For me, it's about my investment time horizon and at 57 years old, barring a tragedy, I have a 20-30 + year time frame. If you look at history the stock market has provided extraordinary returns for those time frames. So, for me, even if returns are half of what they have been in the past I will be fine. The best way to participate in those returns are through effectively no cost, tax efficient major market index ETF's. Simple. That's my mindset and investment philosophy.

Stocks are expensive. Like everything these days. The only action I've taken over the last year is to stop reinvesting dividends. With current real rates around 2% all maturing CD's, bonds and equity dividends are going into my TIPS ladders. It looks like TIPS, Strips and I bonds have about 25 years expenses covered.

Meanwhile, while expensive I'll keep the same number of shares in equity ETF's. I don't need it so I'll let it ride.

Last edited:
I'm seeing utilities with high P/Es. No need to go there. There are value stocks in many categories. Just don't get tangled up in a value-"trap."

I don't think rates will come down until 2025. Intuition combined with current situation. Workers do deserve a raise. They've been screwed for decades. Still a tight labor market. Unemployment is lower than it should be if a recession were imminent or already present.

Stocks are expensive. We may have a repeat of 2007-2008 when real estate loan activity indicate many folks are waiting for lower interest rate to jump back in. I’m holding onto my stocks right now, selling a small % for living expenses. The SP500 has been pretty flat over the past 3 months.

Stocks are expensive. We may have a repeat of 2007-2008 when real estate loan activity indicate many folks are waiting for lower interest rate to jump back in. I’m holding onto my stocks right now, selling a small % for living expenses. The SP500 has been pretty flat over the past 3 months.
My only REIT is the Postal REIT. PSTL. I don't bet the P.O. will default. Nevertheless, there is a knock-on effect in the current smelly situation. REITs are suffering. Still, PSTL is quite unique. A true niche stock. The only single stock I own that's actually doing very well is ET. Oil/gas midstream L.P.

The market is banking on earnings growth to keep it propped up. If earnings don’t keep pace, we could be looking at another bad market ‘20, ‘22 and TBD.
I will also say, that if/when rates drop, it won’t be a positive for the market, it will be in reaction to a recession. Watch what you wish for.
When rates drop, folks holding current coupon bonds will benefit.

Now that is an interesting way to finesse my portfolio that I had not thought of. I don't have any Bonds and never have. I may need to start looking.
I have a buddy that lost a bundle when rates took this rise and his lower premium bonds dropped in value.

My only REIT is the Postal REIT. PSTL. I don't bet the P.O. will default. Nevertheless, there is a knock-on effect in the current smelly situation. REITs are suffering. Still, PSTL is quite unique. A true niche stock. The only single stock I own that's actually doing very well is ET. Oil/gas midstream L.P.

$16.90 in May 2019 and $13.68 today? 1.86% total return since inception? Not compelling to me even if it doesn't default.

Now that is an interesting way to finesse my portfolio that I had not thought of. I don't have any Bonds and never have. I may need to start looking.
I have a buddy that lost a bundle when rates took this rise and his lower premium bonds dropped in value.

That’s bonds 101. They drop when rates rise and rise when rates drop and you get paid interest in between.

Last edited:
I really do not look at the ratios to make decisions (well, at least conscience decisions)...

You invest in a ration of stocks and bonds... you re-balance when they get out of whack.... trying to time the market is a fools game no matter much you think you can do so...

But and hold...

Any thought?

I keep a relatively low commitment to equities. My goal is around 35% though it's crept up since last re-balance. That's how I deal with the rather high stock prices these days.

I agree with picking and AA and staying with it as long as it makes sense. YMMV

S&P 500 was up 16%+ in 2020. I’d take that any day.

Are stocks expensive - as compared to ?

About 7 months ago, was Apple’s stock expensive at $125/share? What about a couple months later when it hit $150/share? What about when it almost hit $200 last month? Since it’s dropped to $175 or so recently, does that mean it’s cheap now or that it was too expensive last month when it almost hit $200?

Point is if you’re a long term investor then it doesn’t matter. If you’re a swing or day trader then this forum is probably not the right venue for those types of questions. I’ve spent the better part of a year (part time) developing my own algo day trading bots which have significantly outperformed my long term portfolio because the bots trade short and long throughout the day and always pull out before the session ends.

Are stocks expensive - as compared to ?

About 7 months ago, was Apple’s stock expensive at $125/share? What about a couple months later when it hit $150/share? What about when it almost hit $200 last month? Since it’s dropped to $175 or so recently, does that mean it’s cheap now or that it was too expensive last month when it almost hit $200?

Point is if you’re a long term investor then it doesn’t matter. If you’re a swing or day trader then this forum is probably not the right venue for those types of questions. I’ve spent the better part of a year (part time) developing my own algo day trading bots which have significantly outperformed my long term portfolio because the bots trade short and long throughout the day and always pull out before the session ends.

:popcorn:

‘20’s returns were eaten in ‘22.

After a 26%+ gain in 2021? Or the 28%+ gain in 2019?

Idk about you, but I’m up nicely compared to where I was a few years ago, even after 2022, with an equity allocation of 85%+.

Down years happen. There are more up years than down years and the last decade has been phenomenal.

Back
Top Bottom