Stressless Recliners

Another Stressless fan here but I recommend you try them out. Models have different shapes - not just sizes. Various models offer more or less support and have uniquely shaped seats and backs.

No question about this. I think the few who have expressed skepticism about Stressless chairs were simply not able to try a big enough variety of samples. That's probably why their dealership network is limited -- each one will have a number of display models you can sit in so you can get a good "feel" for them.

When DW and I went to look at them, we were both surprised that the ones we liked best were not what we would have chosen based on their descriptions. We lucked out, because there are only two dealers within 100 miles of me, and one of them is right in our neighborhood.

We have 4 with the oldest over 20 years old. Recommended.

Two of ours were clearance floor models, so keep your eye out for that. Gets the price under $2K.

We bought a pair of Ekornes Stressless recliners and accompanying ottomans about seven years ago. I’ve never been so happy with a purchase.

IMG worth a look

IMG (as others have noted) is worth a look. They're part of the Ekornes (Stressless) Group, so similar designs (although I like their 1-piece recliners, i.e., not a separate foot piece).

About IMG - IMG Comfort

They have lots of choices, manual and electronic recliners.

They're cheaper than Ekornes Stressless. Best to find a store that carries them so you can try them out. I also like that they have different sizes . . . so I don't have my feet hanging over the edge!

During the pandemic I had to wait about a year before getting mine (made and shipped from Viet Nam), but the supply chain issues might be better now (who knows!).

We have five Ekornes Stressless recliners in various rooms of the house. They are wonderful chairs and so well made that they last forever.

One of my retirement hobbies is restoring "trashed" Stressless chairs that I find online. I will patch the leather, if needed, maybe add a little padding or even re-color the whole chair.

I would recommend buying a used chair. You can find them on Facebook Marketplace, OfferUp and Craigslist. A new chair will cost anywhere from $1,800 to $4,000. Used, that chair will sell for $350 to $750. Maybe clean and moisturize the leather and you are set.

Last edited:
During the pandemic I had to wait about a year before getting mine (made and shipped from Viet Nam), but the supply chain issues might be better now (who knows!).

Ah, that may explain why the IMG brand is cheaper than Stressless. My Stressless recliner was made in Norway, where labor costs are obviously far higher than in Vietnam.

I've been looking at Stressless chairs with the ottoman or something similar. I am tall about 6'2" and am wondering how taller people feel about these chairs. I realize that I will need a large chair, but I am wondering if any person who is tall has found one model to be better than the others.

I have tried sitting in them in the showroom of a local furniture seller. But, I know that 5 or 10 minutes in a chair is not the same as 30+ minutes. And as a tall person I know that many furniture pieces are simply not built for people much over 5'10".

I would like to hear from tall people who have owned used a Stressless chair for a few years. Or another similar brand if they like it. Thanks.

I've been looking at Stressless chairs with the ottoman or something similar. I am tall about 6'2" and am wondering how taller people feel about these chairs. I realize that I will need a large chair, but I am wondering if any person who is tall has found one model to be better than the others.

I'm 6'1.5". I have the largest size Stressless - I believe there are three sizes, if I'm remembering correctly. I watch a movie in one 2-3 times a week, and more rarely read. As I've said before in this thread, I'm totally happy with mine, and actively look forward to sitting in it.

I would not buy one unless you have tried sitting in the size you want - don't make any assumptions about what the next size up or down will feel like. But if you like it in the showroom, I have a hard time believing you won't also like it at home.

I would not buy one unless you have tried sitting in the size you want - don't make any assumptions about what the next size up or down will feel like.

I second that. The size I chose was not the one I expected to choose.

I have tried sitting in them in the showroom of a local furniture seller. But, I know that 5 or 10 minutes in a chair is not the same as 30+ minutes. And as a tall person I know that many furniture pieces are simply not built for people much over 5'10".

I would like to hear from tall people who have owned used a Stressless chair for a few years. Or another similar brand if they like it. Thanks.

DH is 6'1" and I'm 5'5" & of normal weight. We both got the largest size chair. DH got an 'elevator' for both the chair as well as the ottoman (you can stack more than one if you need the seat height) and I did not. We both loved our chairs. Have changed to true recliners but are keeping one and maybe two of the Stressless.

I have found the stressless recliners very comfortable, however, we like recliners that recline all the way back and elevate our legs so we can sleep in them if needed.

My newest find was a recliner on sale at LaZeboy, smaller size for my shorter frame (5'1), but everyone sits on it! It is sooo comfy. Found it in the back corner of their clearance area, under $1000.

I looked at the Stressless Recliners, but they aren’t what I wanted. We had to return a chair to Pottery Barn where they sent the wrong size chair. Went to a local store and bought an in stock chair by FlexSteel. It’s very comfortable and supports my back and legs nicely. Still waiting for the refund from Pottery Barn.

Old thread, but I was reminded of it when I saw the deal for today at Costco is a chair made in the same style as the Stressless chair.

Oslo Leather Recliner & Ottoman - normally $1,200 now $300 off = $900

Given Costco’s leaning towards quality products and their excellent return policy, if I was in the market, I think I’d give it a try.

Old thread, but I was reminded of it when I saw the deal for today at Costco is a chair made in the same style as the Stressless chair.

Oslo Leather Recliner & Ottoman - normally $1,200 now $300 off = $900

Given Costco’s leaning towards quality products and their excellent return policy, if I was in the market, I think I’d give it a try.

Nice looking chair, and appears to be quite similar at a great price.

Stressless offers a wide variety of styles, sizes, and colors, and this is just one size and two colors, but it's hard to say no at that price. I paid a fair bit more for my Stressless.

Ekornes Stressless are pricy, but worth it. We have had two recliners for years, and they remain the most comfy chairs we ever sat in. We just bought an Ekornes Stressless couch, and a pair of dining room chairs.

All are warranteed: ten years for the frame, five for the base, 1 year on the upholstery.

I have had a couple of Braddington-Young swivel rocker recliners that I love. Made here in USA (I think they still are?). Might want to compare those. But I didn't see they still make the ones I have or I would have attached a link. But they make alot!

I have an ekornes in the RV. They make a good RV chair as they are not heavy and you can stack the ottoman on the seat when the slide is in. When we get set up I can move it about to take advantage of the space. I need to make that lift platform or ring for it.

I’m going to splurge and get a Stressless. I’ve tried a few different versions and narrowed it down to the model/size I want. Now I need to figure out if I should get leather or fabric. I’m not a fan of leather and unfortunately the showroom didn’t have any fabric chairs on display.

I’m wondering what material others have?

If anyone chose fabric, can you let me know how it held up over time? Any regrets?

I've never actually seen one in fabric covering, but I'm a big fan of leather anyway. Seems to me the fabric would be harder to keep clean, but I have no idea.

Good that you've experimented to find the right size though. We found in the showroom that it made a big difference in comfort, and the size I chose wasn't the one I would have guessed.

I’m going to splurge and get a Stressless. I’ve tried a few different versions and narrowed it down to the model/size I want. Now I need to figure out if I should get leather or fabric. I’m not a fan of leather and unfortunately the showroom didn’t have any fabric chairs on display.

I’m wondering what material others have?

If anyone chose fabric, can you let me know how it held up over time? Any regrets?
I didn't even know they had fabric available. We have two Stressless recliners, one over 30 years old and one about 6. Both are leather. The older one's leather has held up wonderfully while the newer one still looks like it came off the showroom floor. Both have ottomans; I don't remember if they were an extra but I would definitely get the ottoman. The older chair required replacement of a couple of plastic bushings a decade ago but otherwise has been trouble-free. I'm sure the fabric covered recliners would be of equal quality.

Comfort-wise, I'll just say that they were lifesavers following my two rotator cuff surgeries: for weeks after each surgery, it was impossible to sleep in a bed but I was able to sleep through the night in these recliners.

We have two classic Ekornes Stressless recliners with ottomans. a Stressless power sofa, and a pair of Stressless dining chairs. Only the dining chairs had a fabric option. To the best of my knowledge, both the recliners and the sofas are only available in leather.

DW says that she’s just received an e-mail that Stressless recliners are now available in fabric. It’s not on the website and I’ve never seen one. Good luck.

Like others I didn’t know fabric was an option. We have 2 leather Stressless recliners w ottomans (Mayfair sand w walnut base), bought them Dec 2013, sit in them for several hours every day - and they are good as new. The leather gets a little shiny, but a good leather cleaner brings them back to soft and matte finish whenever we want to. I wish all purchases were as satisfying.

Last edited:
I’m glad I tried it out too. The showroom had a lot of models with all the different sizes. There is also two different base configurations for the model I picked (Mayfair).

The salesperson told me that the fabric options are only made in Norway and take about 4-6 months for delivery. For popular leather options, they’re made in New Jersey with a 6-8 week delivery.

Idk how long they’ve been offering fabric, but it’s been on their website for at least six months, since that’s about when I started looking.

I asked why they didn’t have any fabric models and was told that everyone orders leather. I wonder if that’s because people don’t know there’s a fabric option? Or maybe people prefer leather regardless?

I’m going to try calling a few other stores to see id they have any fabric models on display.

If I don’t find one, I might have to risk it.

Please let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom