Super Bowl Squares

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm in a super bowl table that has squares for 100 a piece. I was lucky to draw 7 and 0 so I have a pretty good chance early on anyway. Each quarter is worth 1500 to the winner and then various other payouts. My question is to etiquette as to a tip for the person that is setting up the game. I'm not familiar with the person but through a friend. Anyway the payouts come to 9500 so I take it he is taking 500 for himself.

Super Bowl Squares: A game show like Hollywood Squares but with washed-up pro football players instead of washed-up comedians.

When I played in those 100 square football pots we didn't tip the "treasurer" but he played too.... A $500 "skim off the top" seems more than enough to me.

In your case, since you don't know the person, I hope you know/trust someone who watched as the numbers were drawn for the squares. We used cards to pick the numbers.

Last edited:
When I played in those 100 square football pots we didn't tip the "treasurer" but he played too.... A $500 "skim off the top" seems more than enough to me.

In your case, since you don't know the person, I hope you know/trust someone who watched as the numbers were drawn for the squares. We used cards to pick the numbers.
Yeah, I know but I did get a 7 and a 0 which are pretty good numbers for football. Of course any numbers can win and could backfire on someone who is trying to be unscrupolous.

If the guy has already taken his vig, then no need to tip. In my case, a friend gets me in the squares from a person he knows. I’ve been lucky enough to win a couple times. I give my friend a $100 for handling the logistics for me. If you’re at a bar when you win, buying a round would be in order. Don’t sweat it.

If the guy has already taken his vig, then no need to tip. In my case, a friend gets me in the squares from a person he knows. I’ve been lucky enough to win a couple times. I give my friend a $100 for handling the logistics for me. If you’re at a bar when you win, buying a round would be in order. Don’t sweat it.
Now that is a good answer, Jerry. I think I will take that route. Thanks ;)

All you have to do now is win.:dance:

My pool pays out $1200. I won twice, two years in a row. One time was extremely exciting. Near the end of the quarter I had my numbers and one team had to mount a goal line stance. They did. More exciting is after holding one time, they drew a penalty and had to do it again. I was up yelling at the tv to be sure. I’ve won more money than that, but that was probably the most exciting money I’ve ever won.

Good luck.

All you have to do now is win.:dance:

My pool pays out $1200. I won twice, two years in a row. One time was extremely exciting. Near the end of the quarter I had my numbers and one team had to mount a goal line stance. They did. More exciting is after holding one time, they drew a penalty and had to do it again. I was up yelling at the tv to be sure. I’ve won more money than that, but that was probably the most exciting money I’ve ever won.

Good luck.
Great story. Thanks, Jerry:)

I'm in these pools each year and as far as I can recall never won. Anyway, I never thought a tip was necessary, and if I won I would not tip.

Tipping has gotten out of hand in my opinion. You go pick up a pizza & when you put the credit card in, it asks you how much you want to tip. If someone delivers the pizza to me, definitely, but not when I'm picking it up myself.

If you win on the Super Bowl board, should you tip ?
I certainly wouldn't.

Some guys will take a free square or two as payment, or like your guy some money off the top. If so, I wouldn't tip. If he takes nothing 10% is the going rate.

Some guys will take a free square or two as payment, or like your guy some money off the top. If so, I wouldn't tip. If he takes nothing 10% is the going rate.

Long ago and far far away - our New Orleans neighborhood watering hole took nothing. Each brought a dish/tailgate item to eat. They made plenty on 'beverages'. Grin.

Heh heh heh - :greetings10:

They did one of these at a Superbowl party once...first time I'd seen it. I thought it was legit random, and it was, up to a point. They sold a lot of squares using a deck of cards for randomness. Then the trouble began. The wize guy in the crowd looked at what was left and decided to buy out the rest of the board. It would have been different if he'd pledged to buy the board before he knew what remained, but I think he saw some juicy numbers left. Of course the wize guy won most of the money with about 1/3 of the board.

They did one of these at a Superbowl party once...first time I'd seen it. I thought it was legit random, and it was, up to a point. They sold a lot of squares using a deck of cards for randomness. Then the trouble began. The wize guy in the crowd looked at what was left and decided to buy out the rest of the board. It would have been different if he'd pledged to buy the board before he knew what remained, but I think he saw some juicy numbers left. Of course the wize guy won most of the money with about 1/3 of the board.
That seems pretty "wise" to me if it was allowed..:)

You mean they put the numbers up before all the squares were filled?:facepalm:

Not the way it is supposed to done.

You mean they put the numbers up before all the squares were filled?:facepalm:

Not the way it is supposed to done.
There weren't enough gamblers to fill all the squares.

I lobbied to keep the non-filled squares empty, got agreement, and the board became public, with a few minutes until kickoff.

Then the wize guy re-lobbied the gamblers with the promise of a bigger payout, I kept saying "no", but I was in the minority. The wize guy's answer was "If you don't agree, I'll buy you out". I didn't want to look like an ***, and had only $1 invested, so I let it go. As it turns out, I hit on my one square, so luck was on my side that day.

There weren't enough gamblers to fill all the squares.

I lobbied to keep the non-filled squares empty, got agreement, and the board became public, with a few minutes until kickoff.

Then the wize guy re-lobbied the gamblers with the promise of a bigger payout, I kept saying "no", but I was in the minority. The wize guy's answer was "If you don't agree, I'll buy you out". I didn't want to look like an ***, and had only $1 invested, so I let it go. As it turns out, I hit on my one square, so luck was on my side that day.

Well then. Sounds like your wize guy is an A$$hole as well. As well as whoever was running the board. The board should have be closed. No new bets.

That said. Who cares for a buck. You probably got more than your money's worth telling the story (and you won some money) :D

Back
Top Bottom