Supportive Living in Chicago

RandomPJ

Dryer sheet aficionado
I am placing a sister in "supportive living" in the Western Suburbs of Chicago so have to choose the right place, as she really cannot. She's on SSDI and Medicaid, so I would like to read some reliable reviews for such places in Western Suburbs area of Chicago.

Any ideas on where I can find some reviews? I will travel from CA to visit some but would like to narrow it down before I go.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have other family in the Chicago area, or are you looking there because that's where she is? Have you considered moving her to a facility in CA near you or other family?

We've just gone through similar with mom, taking place over the past 5 months. She was in FL, with no family or anyone else close. We chose to move her to a facility in NJ, so it would be close to me, sis, and other family. There was a lot of work involved to make it all happen, but in the end, everyone is happier.

Do you have other family in the Chicago area, or are you looking there because that's where she is? Have you considered moving her to a facility in CA near you or other family?

We've just gone through similar with mom, taking place over the past 5 months. She was in FL, with no family or anyone else close. We chose to move her to a facility in NJ, so it would be close to me, sis, and other family. There was a lot of work involved to make it all happen, but in the end, everyone is happier.

Just one brother in Chicago, and her doctors etc. feels she has to get her medical problems stabilized before she is moved. And like you say the process is daunting to move from state to state but she will come to CA, if we can find a suitable one. I'm glad it worked out for your family. Was your mother also in the same position with insurance?

Is there a social worker you can talk too? If your sister is currently is in a medical facility, they usually have one on staff. They would be able to access a list for you to investigate, and may even have some real life opinions.

Best of luck to you. That does not sound like an easy task.

Look up the state agency that does inspections of those facilities, and review the results for the facilities you are considering. Should be available online in most states.

In some states, such as NY, facilities are required to have their inspection results available for review on the property.

I am placing a sister in "supportive living" in the Western Suburbs of Chicago so have to choose the right place, as she really cannot. She's on SSDI and Medicaid, so I would like to read some reliable reviews for such places in Western Suburbs area of Chicago.

Any ideas on where I can find some reviews? I will travel from CA to visit some but would like to narrow it down before I go.
I am not familiar with “supportive living.” Is that in a NH or in an assisted living facility?

Does your DS have any financial resources beyond SSDI? Could she private pay for a year or two? We found it really hard to find a decent NH for my MIL until we got together some funds to private pay for a year+ And then the shopping was much easier.

IMHO, Illinois, and particularly NE Illinois, is a tough place to find decent Medicaid funded live-in services because the state is in deep trouble financially and pays low and slow.

It's like assisted living but you are more independent, for people on Medicaid I think. I wish she/we could pay for a year or two. I have heard that those places tend to be better.

And thanks all, I did get a list.

Just one brother in Chicago, and her doctors etc. feels she has to get her medical problems stabilized before she is moved. And like you say the process is daunting to move from state to state but she will come to CA, if we can find a suitable one. I'm glad it worked out for your family. Was your mother also in the same position with insurance?

Mom just has Medicare Advantage.

She was in the hospital in FL during last few days of December and first few of January. They wanted us to move her to rehab in FL, but most facilities were either full, not accepting new folks (due to Covid/staffing/etc.) or were pretty poor. We made the decision to bring her back to NJ, and she lived with us the first month regaining some strength. We moved her to assisted living close by in February. At the end of March, our claim with her LTC insurer was declined, saying she did not meet ADL requirements, and we were counting on that LTC money to help pay for assisted living, which is extremely expensive. At that point we decided to move her to a more independent (less expensive) facility. She's now in a life plan community, where she is currently "independent" with her own apartment. The place has skilled nursing and assisted living which she can migrate into if/when she needs it in the future.

Part of our work was in moving her Medicare Advantage plan. It's all done locally - down to the county level. So even though where we live, the first assisted living facility, and the physician seeing her were all within the same zip code, each was in a different county and so the applicable plans differed. Thankfully the assisted living facility and the life plan community are within the same county, so that move was easy with no insurance change necessary.

Actually moving the insurance from FL to NJ wasn't difficult at all, once we decided on the plan we wanted. I just applied for her through ehealthmedicareplans.com (which is a part of ehealthinsurance.com, and we've used for years with our own health insurance). Once she was approved by new insurer, they notified Medicare, and automatically cancelled the existing FL plan.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance!

when my mother-in-law could no longer care for herself and after a search of many, many assisted living centers we chose Belmont Village in Carol Stream, IL (Geneva Road just east of Schmale Rd). well kept, nice rooms. if you call or visit ask for Jeannie and tell her that Rich & Donna sent you.

Looks like a great place!

it is. my MIL was there for ~10-yrs or so. she was happy and we were at ease.
we especially liked the on-site restaurant. they offered the usual two-choices at each meal but also a full menu. the only thing i'm not sure of is if they'll accept medicade. we never asked as MIL was able to pay. be sure to talk with Jeannie.

Thanks in advance!

I lived in Elmhurst for years. I would look in the Addison, and Bensenville areas.
Not as expensive as other NW suburbs but very nice. I knew an elderly couple in extended care in Bensenville. I seem to remember good long-term care options there.

OP, I sent you a PM. If your sister is being released from a rehab facility they may have a social worker on staff who is familiar with options in the area and who will (hopefully) help you to understand what is and is not covered with Medicaid and SSDI. It is different scenario than someone who has assets and regular Medicare. Best of luck, I’m sure she appreciates you helping her through this process.

Back
Top Bottom