T minus ~30 days

It's so bad that everyone on my team (about 10 of us) basically all decided together to respond to the "employee survey" that just came out with super low scores (basically 1 out of 5 where 5 is good and 1 is abysmal) on both our Director and our company. Basically, we all agreed that we were going to respond and speak the truth vs. holding anything at all back. Should be major fireworks when they read the responses. Who knows if anything will change..I doubt it, but we tried..

Regarding the employee survey mentioned above, that approach could backfire, which is what happened to us. As a result of the low survey scores, the Higher Intellects made the decision to have ongoing meetings to review the scores and discuss what we could do to improve things. During these review meetings, we had to break up into small groups and were given 2-3 questions to review and come back with recommendations on how to improve the score. It was one of the most painful periods of my MC life and from the experience I learned that you never report anything bad and always give every item a 5 (out of 5).

To this day, I wondered if it was the Higher Intellects way of getting their revenge on us for giving low scores on the survey.

Regarding the employee survey mentioned above, that approach could backfire, which is what happened to us. As a result of the low survey scores, the Higher Intellects made the decision to have ongoing meetings to review the scores and discuss what we could do to improve things. During these review meetings, we had to break up into small groups and were given 2-3 questions to review and come back with recommendations on how to improve the score. It was one of the most painful periods of my MC life and from the experience I learned that you never report anything bad and always give every item a 5 (out of 5).

To this day, I wondered if it was the Higher Intellects way of getting their revenge on us for giving low scores on the survey.

I had an old boss you used to say a complaint without a solution is just a bitch. So you might be right. If you complain, you need to be prepared to also solve.

...And am completely miserable and stressed out of my freaking mind.

You might want to see a Doc:
1. miserable: anti-depressant med might help
2. stressed out: anti-anxiety med might help
3. out of my freaking mind: anti-psychotic med might help
(keep in mind I'm not an MD)

This sounds like less of a retirement and more like quitting without another job.

Ummmm..what's retirement, then? That's exactly what most people do - "quit without another job". If you took another job, that by definition would not be retirement.

I already commented up thread why I am not looking for another gig and plan to retire instead.

Ha..that made me laugh, but no, meds are not the answer.

I think it's pretty darn normal for people to be stressed about making a major, life altering change like this. In fact, you might need meds if you're NOT freaked out about it.

Ummmm..what's retirement, then? That's exactly what most people do - "quit without another job". If you took another job, that by definition would not be retirement.

I already commented up thread why I am not looking for another gig and plan to retire instead.

My point being that he is not retiring to something he wants, but getting out of something he hates.

I read some of your previous posts to gain a little more context. I read that your DW had a heart attack at a young age (56, if I'm not mistaken). I read how you've been miserable doing what you're doing. I read how you think your numbers will allow you to RE. I read how you would like to spend your RE in a cabin somewhere, enjoying your hobbies. You've been planning RE for a number of years now.

I know it would mean walking away from a lot of money, but risking your mental and physical health is not worth it. How much would be enough? You said you're already FI.

You and/or your wife could expire tomorrow (G*d forbid). Life is too temporary. You have the means to call the shots. You deserve to be happy.
I say go for it. For whatever it's worth.

I wish you well.

Job satisfaction and net worth

I have a theory. J*b satisfaction is inversely related to net worth. Every situation is different but once you realize you don't need your j*b, it becomes tough to stay. I tended to love my j*bs. But, notice I don't go in and volunteer my time during retirement. Nor does anyone else I know that is FI and retired. :)

Edit to add: Assuming my theory is correct, as much as you dislike your job, you must really be rich!

Last edited:
To err is corporate, to forgive divine.

I think is sad that people here won’t name and shame the companies.

On the contrary, I think leaving the offenders anonymous shows good manners and a healthy moral code. Forgoing revenge is a (small) step in the direction of forgiveness, and I'm a proponent of raising the total amount of forgiveness in the universe, seeing as how I need all of it I can get.

Also, "shaming" is almost certain to NOT drive improved behaviors. It might make it worse.

Finally, it promotes camaraderie among all of us who suffer at the hands of Megacorp overlords. As long as they don't name the company, we are free to imagine that it's the same place we perform our labors. The day I saw my first Dilbert cartoon I was certain his creator (Scott Adams) w*rked for my employer. Friends and relatives who w*rked for other businesses were similarly certain Adams was one of theirs. We all identified with the comic strip because it appeared to be lifted directly from the managerial blunders we endured at our own sweatshops. I was a little disappointed when I found out Adams was from a totally unrelated shop.

Why medicate when you know what root-cause is??

Why medicate when you know what root-cause is??

EXACTLY. Family Doc wants me to see a counselor for the depression and stress. I KNOW what is causing both. Unnecessary, since once I remove the cause, the issues are hopefully resolved.

Ditto to the meds.

Meds aside, while you know the cause, some counselors might be able to provide you with coping mechanisms, behavioral therapy, etc.

In your case, with 30 days, not so much, but to someone who is reading this thread with a longer off-ramp but the same symptoms, it might be more helpful.

Just because you know the cause doesn't mean you can personally do nothing to provide relief; it doesn't mean the only way to feel better is to remove that cause. And it also doesn't mean removing it (for everyone) means the symptoms go away. Similarly, someone else in your same circumstances might not find it as damaging to their health because they are wired differently. Someone more prone to anxiety might already have exploded.

OP: I believe you've already decided to wait until you get that stock vesting. Presuming that is the case, I strongly urge you to not give any notice, verbal or otherwise, until that vesting is in black and white. I wouldn't trust Megacorp to honor any vesting if you give notice prior, regardless of the effective date.

Drive through skid row, you will realize this is just a job and how fortunate you are. Millions would trade places with us.

I felt just like you until I ran into one of my old hs classmates a few months ago. Went from the high school football star to a lifetime if heartaches. Broke my heart to hear his story. I determined right then to not give a ........ about a job. It had been consuming me for many years. It’s a decision you have to make. Millions of people would do anything to be in our position. Good luck to you. Remember you and I no longer need a career.....this is just a job.

I was in a toxic situation and when I realized we were (well beyond) FI, this forum helped me over the hump to JUST DO IT. Once I decided on the date (based on health insurance subsidies), even though it was 3 months out, everything got better. I gave a heads up to my boss 6 weeks out, and spent the last month trying to leave everything for my team in good shape.

Again, my advice is JUST DO IT.

OP: I believe you've already decided to wait until you get that stock vesting. Presuming that is the case, I strongly urge you to not give any notice, verbal or otherwise, until that vesting is in black and white. I wouldn't trust Megacorp to honor any vesting if you give notice prior, regardless of the effective date.

I totally agree with this advice.

OP, I hope you can make the decision to resign in August immediately after your RSU’s are no longer at risk. Yes, you’ll be leaving money and benefits on the table, but virtually everyone who ER’s does the same and the water’s fine on the other side.

Nothing is worth putting up with such a stressful and miserable situation. I like the advice to take 3 months off after ER’ing, and afterwards see how you feel about what you want to do then. Good luck.

Act for the next 30 days like you have already given notice and no longer care. Come in late (or, not early). Leave at 5. Stop answering emails after 5. If you read this and say "oh I can't because they...." then you are kidding yourself. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow and everything would be normal in a week at your MC.

But I have a (sad) feeling you won't pull the plug in August. Why? You've been more than ready to do so but there's always some other reason to go a little longer.

This sounds like the right path to me too, but admit it is harder to do than to say. But I imagine once you decide you no longer need the job, why care about it? What's the worst that can happen? You get fired? Cool, severance. I get that at some jobs that just doesn't work, like if you are a nurse or doctor in the ER, if you just stop caring people die. But if you are just moving numbers, or moving widgets for corporate profit, can't you just decide you don't care anymore? Just go into work and be Peter Gibbons from Office Space. If bosses or coworkers are being literally abusive that's another issue, that should be handled differently, but if it's just stress to meet deadlines, just decide that when you don't meet them it's the fault of the person who made the deadline, not yours. Is your boss or coworker stealing credit for your work? Fine let em have it, in a month you won't need credit for anything, meanwhile the paychecks keep coming, and it's not like you are fighting your coworker for the next promotion right?

I guess I'd be curious to hear what exactly about the company is driving you to madness here, maybe they simply can't be ignored, maybe they can.

"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Been there, done that. I don't bother with surveys anymore.

It's a hard call. I was older than you but equally sick ought what I was doing. And I really liked the people I worked with; 6 years later, I still like them.

I have a great life in retirement. Sometimes I think a little more money would be nice but we have 2 really nice houses, 1 on the water in Florida and 1 in the mountains of NC, with no mortgages. We have to do a lot of stuff ourselves that I wish I could afford to pay someone to do. But...There is a lot of satisfaction in doing it yourself. Right now, my wife and I are hand digging or re-digging a drainage ditch beside the driveway at the mountain house. It's hard work but very satisfying.

That was a major digress. If you aren't pretty sure, don't retire. If you're pretty sure but have some doubts, go for it.

I waited until I had a heart attack. I had no risk factors, never smoked, exercised, low bmi, no diabetes, controlled blood pressure, no family history. Just STRESS as you have described. Having your chest cut open and arteries rerouted makes priorities crystal clear.

9 months ago I did a similar move. Sleepless nights, headaches after his ignorant email and broken promises. Last straw was cancelling post retirement medical subsidies. I had had enough with the tyrant boss. No raised no cost of living just an increased work load. I realized I could retire early but a few months of added work would greatly help.
After talking with my DEAR wife who kept me calm the last year it was time to leave. a week before my last day he pulled more garbage so I used a small portion of my sick pay and then promptly left. I left my keys, key fob,credit card and a short note in the Executive Directors in box and walked myself out the door.
I have never been so relieved as I was the next few weeks. No more fires to put out, no more ignorant emails and no more broken promises.
I found my sanity was more important than their garbage and attached paycheck.
Please give it lots of thought and take care of yourself.

....because I've learned through painful experience that they pretty much all suck. Just in different ways, and rarely something you can predict during the interview cycle

TIA..

Agreed 100%. It's not the work, it's the JOB that kills.

Letting go is not easy. Yes, Money/bonus/stock etc. is nice but it's the TIME that's "priceless". It's a good feeling that you are "able" to go on your own terms b/c you handled your finances well.

.....I left my keys, key fob,credit card and a short note in the Executive Directors in box and walked myself out the door.

Did you give any advanced notice? Is it required to give 1 or 2 week notice or can we just walk away & don't show up *again*?

Think about how much you are adding to your portfolio each year you stay. Let's say that's $200k/yr. That will allow you to spend $8k more per year (4% of $200k). Is it worth it to work another year for an additional $8k of spending if you already have enough. I decided I had enough of the job and had no problems leaving money on the table to reclaim my time and my health. I retired a few months ago and already lost 8 lbs without trying. I used to drink immediately after work to relax myself and before bed, and now I only drink if I'm out socially.

I didn't notice if any one mentioned this. Will you be 55 when you actually pull the plug? IIRC, retirement AFTER you turn age 55 entitles you to get into your 401(k) without penalty. Otherwise, it's wait until age 59 1/2 to avoid penalty (or use the 72(t) rule).

I'm thinking just show up for work, put in your time, don't let anyone stress you. Ignore the powers-that-be and then bail on the day after your 55th BD. Someone PLEASE advise if I'm suggesting something wrong here because YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom