Tablet - Apple vs Android

Still can't figure out what you're trying to say. Any iPad (WiFi or cell) can send email or text MMS/SMS to any brand tablet, smartphone or dumb phone that can receive them using the software that comes with it - I do it all the time. No extra software or charges involved. Of course a WiFi only iPad has to be connected to WiFi to send or recieve, but that's true of any WiFi only tablet - Android, Apple or other.
Plus if your iPhone is within range of your wifi iPad, you can use your phone from the iPad to send and receive calls or texts.

Plus if your iPhone is within range of your wifi iPad, you can use your phone from the iPad to send and receive calls or texts.
I'm wondering why one would want to do this sort of thing. I guess it might have something to do with easier typing on the iPad? My phone is almost always in my pocket.

I'm wondering why one would want to do this sort of thing. I guess it might have something to do with easier typing on the iPad? My phone is almost always in my pocket.
I can offer two other reasons:

• A text comes in while I'm already on my iPad
  • A text comes in with a picture attached, the larger screen helps
If I only have my iPhone on me, so be it.

Got the Google Pixel C and love it. As fast as 99% of the best tablets and the keyboard is an awesome engineered product. Check it out....I got the 64gb version and keyboard for around $600. Been very happy with it for a few months now.

Screen resolution is also one of the best I've seen. Aluminum case is nice and plenty loud dual speakers. Recent updates to software allows for a split screen too.

I use a bluetooth mouse and can network into my w*rk computer and do anything needed...really is a mini-laptop.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the release of the Samsung (Google) chromebook pro which should be early May. It's a computer with a key board that folds to a tablet and has a gorgeous screen.

I can offer two other reasons:

• A text comes in while I'm already on my iPad
  • A text comes in with a picture attached, the larger screen helps
If I only have my iPhone on me, so be it.
Thanks Midpack. I guess this shows why we are often finding different solutions that work fine for us. In my case I get only a few texts and can see the pictures nicely on my Nexus 6P phone which is the same size as an Iphone 6+ screen. So in that case having a big phone screen helps. :)

Thanks Midpack. I guess this shows why we are often finding different solutions that work fine for us. In my case I get only a few texts and can see the pictures nicely on my Nexus 6P phone which is the same size as an Iphone 6+ screen. So in that case having a big phone screen helps. :)
I have a 6+, but pictures on my iPad are far easier to see detail with my old eyes. :blush:

You don't even need the phone to be around.

With WiFi calling turned on you can take your iPad somewhere and (having say forgotten your iPhone) make a call as long as the iPad is on a WiFi network.

This has turned out to be handy a few times.

The kindle fire 8 HD is only $70 right now. Smaller, 8" screen, but otherwise seems a lot better than paying $300+ for a similar product. I believe it uses an Android OS also.

As some other poster recently mentioned, Apple is doing great at making a profit. I'd prefer to keep that money for myself.

The kindle fire 8 HD is only $70 right now. Smaller, 8" screen, but otherwise seems a lot better than paying $300+ for a similar product. I believe it uses an Android OS also.

As some other poster recently mentioned, Apple is doing great at making a profit. I'd prefer to keep that money for myself.
That Kindle Fire uses the Amazon Silk OS. I hope they've really upgraded it as it really was pretty bad on the first Kindle color tablet. It's a great price.

I'd have to do some research to see how many Google apps I could get out of the Amazon App store.

That Kindle Fire uses the Amazon Silk OS. I hope they've really upgraded it as it really was pretty bad on the first Kindle color tablet. It's a great price.

I'd have to do some research to see how many Google apps I could get out of the Amazon App store.
I'd look first. The first Kindle Fire I tried out in a store felt cheap and had a far inferior display (to an iPad or a decent Android tablet). But that was several years ago, maybe they've gotten better.

Disclaimer: I own stock in AAPL.

Lot's of good discussion here. I teach computer science (Full Time) at the college level and am also an equipment addict. I have six laptops, several servers, multiple android phones (I use an Android phone as does my teenage child and I use them as devices such as a dedicated engine control monitor in my truck). I also have multiple iPads (old ipad 2, ipad air, and ipad air 2) as well as four Android tablets, and even a chrome book. I even have devices such as pogo plug's which I've hacked into low cost Linux servers. Of *ALL* of these devices, my son uses the iPad more than any other device, including his phone. As far as I go, I spend more time on (one or more) laptop's, but also think the iPad is fundamentally easier to use and less effort to keep updated and working efficiently than the Android tablets.

FWIW.

Disclaimer: I own stock in AAPL.

Lot's of good discussion here. I teach computer science (Full Time) at the college level and am also an equipment addict. I have six laptops, several servers, multiple android phones (I use an Android phone as does my teenage child and I use them as devices such as a dedicated engine control monitor in my truck). I also have multiple iPads (old ipad 2, ipad air, and ipad air 2) as well as four Android tablets, and even a chrome book. I even have devices such as pogo plug's which I've hacked into low cost Linux servers. Of *ALL* of these devices, my son uses the iPad more than any other device, including his phone. As far as I go, I spend more time on (one or more) laptop's, but also think the iPad is fundamentally easier to use and less effort to keep updated and working efficiently than the Android tablets.

FWIW.
Interesting. I think that the Google equipment is perhaps easier to maintain then other Android products. Are any of your Android products Google ones i.e. pure Android so updates happen faster after Google roles out the latest OS?

Interesting. I think that the Google equipment is perhaps easier to maintain then other Android products. Are any of your Android products Google ones i.e. pure Android so updates happen faster after Google roles out the latest OS?

Yes, I own a Nexus 5. While better, the last guaranteed update on it was in October 2015. In the meantime my ancient iPad 2 was good till ios 9.x, and the Air and Air 2 still support new ios iterations (as of now).

However, I should take a look at the Nexus 5 to see if there is a way to further update it.

Yes, I own a Nexus 5. While better, the last guaranteed update on it was in October 2015. In the meantime my ancient iPad 2 was good till ios 9.x, and the Air and Air 2 still support new ios iterations (as of now).

However, I should take a look at the Nexus 5 to see if there is a way to further update it.

Just got the recent update on the Google Pixel C. Don't know if it gets updates sooner, but I have to believe that the updates are designed for Google product and maybe Samsung and then tweaked for the lesser sold brands...just a hunch. The update seems to be a touch faster and some minor changes on the look, but seems very stable at the moment.

I've owned a Toshiba Thrive, Google Nexus 10, Nexus 7 and Nexus 5 phone and a Samsung Note 10. Wife now has an Ipad mini 2nd gen. I have to say that all have performed well. My newest is my favorite for sure just for the speed and keyboard...

It should get security updates.

You don't even need the phone to be around.

With WiFi calling turned on you can take your iPad somewhere and (having say forgotten your iPhone) make a call as long as the iPad is on a WiFi network.

This has turned out to be handy a few times.
Thanks. I did not know that was possible. We are mostly the opposite but when we buy another new cheaper iPad, this might change!

As far as I go, I spend more time on (one or more) laptop's, but also think the iPad is fundamentally easier to use and less effort to keep updated and working efficiently than the Android tablets.
I am a Windows guy and DW and both DS families are 100% Apple. I remember one granddaughter using Facetime on her iPod touch when she was 8 YO to introduce me to a neighborhood friend. The only other holdout is my oldest son for his spreadsheets. So 12 Apples and 2 Windoze laptops.

(I have a friend who is an Android bigot and he has native Google on his phones and tablets. Whenever he tells me about great new features, he gets mad when I say "Oh yea we have had that for 3 years!" Then he grasps at maps and translate and I say "Yes we love them and we also love Chromecast to get Netflix on our dumb TVs".)

We also use Kodi and other add-ons to watch TV and cast it. I am thinking of upgrading from my 4S this fall before we go to Europe. It is such a great appliance!

Apple vs. Android, the great phone wars!
2 totally different concepts, Apple is a very closed infrastructure while Android is very open.
I have used both and currently have Android phones & tablets along with 2 Apple laptops and a new iMac desktop. Android phones can be bought much cheaper than Apple's and there are correspondingly similar apps, one we use frequently is Google Hangouts which allows wifi calling both video and audio only.
I've had the first generation iPad and liked it but currently use an 8" Asus tablet. I'm glad there are choices and competition between the two systems.

This is definitely worth a try if it is pretty new, and still worth a try if it is less than a year old. If she says nothing happened with it and it was just noticed, I bet they would do something for you.

Went to Apple today and since we did not buy from them they said 'tough luck'...

Well, what they really said was 'We can replace it for $200'.... nothing else...

As for the old Ipad that does not get a good wifi signal.... it was a 1 1/2 hour wait... so we declined and said we would get back to them...

This thread has gotten me interested in buying an iPad. The new one is $329 and it is about 1.0 pounds. So it could be OK for travel needs while in hotels or flying. For on-street mobile I'd just use my Google 6P phone.

I played around with my wife's old iPad mini and started getting more familiar with the Safari browser. Probably a bit of a learning curve for this Windows/PureAndroid guy. :)

In the past I was turned off by the Apple pricing but now they seem to be getting very competitive on the tablet. I have to admit the iPad mini build is superior to my Nexus 7 tablet. Will have to venture out to see the new iPad as there is an Apple store in town along with a Best Buy.

I still use a 4S and and put it on low power draw to keep it available for calls and texts. It disables all updates until plugged in and fully charged. Trying to keep it useful. With low power it will stay on standby for days.

Look at your smartphone if you have one, pick tablet with same operating system.

Back
Top Bottom