Talking about "it"

Sheryl said:
coworkers and friends constantly give me grief about being "cheap,"

The obvious answer is, "But if I did that, then I wouldn't HAVE plenty of money, now would I?" This somehow just does not compute. It seems to be impossible for about 80% of the people I know to understand that if you spend less, you save more, and then you have more.

Sheryl I run into that every day, they don't get it and never will. They've stopped asking because they don't like my answers.

mathjak107 said:
well since its my article current running in money magazine in the makeover column i have to tell you my first reaction was i didnt want that info displayed for all to see...but then when i really thought about the well why not?   i really coudnt come up with a valid answere...as long as it was in the interest of those people who read the magazine and these kind of articles to read them to get ideas,and to see how others are doing it i saw nothing wrong....i wouldnt just blab it around the office but in the interest of helping interested people or getting better ideas from others for myself ,it was all a go....

I respect your decision to have your information posted and discussed in a public periodical but it would never be my choice to do so. Having my personal financial information out there for my boss, co-workers, family and friends to see would only create more "expectations" than I already receive for financial "considerations". I don't mind buying dinner out every once in a while for the whole family (14 people), or the occasional round of drinks with co-workers or friends but when they "expect" it beause of my net worth then that is when I have an issue with sharing this kind of information. I have already had to deal with family asking for money because they are in over their head and think I can "afford" to pay off their debt for them. No thanks....you got yourself in... get yourself out. I did it by myself years ago and no one gave me a dime. You learn a lot more by learning to do it than if someone just gives you a chunk of money to take care of it.

Maybe if this place was under lock and key except to authorized members I would feel more inclined to share more financial information but as it is anyone that knows me could determine from information in my past posts who I am. Because this is public forum you don't know who is "shopping" around for information on you.

My real name is "Justin". I don't mind disclosing some information on these forums as long as it is sufficiently vague or misleading as to be useless.

Of course, everyone must realize that I lie about half the stuff I post, and I don't tell the truth about the other half.

justin said:
My real name is "Justin".  I don't mind disclosing some information on these forums as long as it is sufficiently vague or misleading as to be useless.

Of course, everyone must realize that I lie about half the stuff I post, and I don't tell the truth about the other half. 

So, were you telling the truth in your post or were you telling a lie? Seems like a logic theroem. :D

SteveR said:
So, were you telling the truth in your post or were you telling a lie? Seems like a logic theroem. :D

I always lie.

(ponder that statement for a moment).

(ok, stop pondering. It's a paradox.)

Going deep here...

Attachments

• mudd.jpg
    mudd.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 83
Excellent!

And if you remember that much, you'll remember that Mudds androids were 'defeated' when Spock told them that he always lies, and then said "I am lying", or something to that effect. They became locked in the logic loop and locked up.

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
Excellent!

And if you remember that much, you'll remember that Mudds androids were 'defeated' when Spock told them that he always lies, and then said "I am lying", or something to that effect.  They became locked in the logic loop and locked up.
I hate when that happens to my androids. :eek:

SteveR said:
Maybe if this place was under lock and key except to authorized members I would feel more inclined to share more financial information but as it is anyone that knows me could determine from information in my past posts who I am.  Because this is public forum you don't know who is "shopping" around for information on you. 

I considered recommending this forum to a woman a know who FIRED at 55.  She would fit right in (Intelligent, cynical, and from Minnesota) but I have hesitated, because I thought it might limit the details I post...   Sounds stupid when you think about it, though.

Sheryl said:
I considered recommending this forum to a woman a know who FIRED at 55. She would fit right in (Intelligent, cynical, and from Minnesota) but I have hesitated, because I thought it might limit the details I post... Sounds stupid when you think about it, though.

I have the same reservations about sharing this website with others at work or in my family. I would lose a certain degree of anonymity here.

Steve R-
I totally concur with your thinking - Unfortunately there are too many people - family, friends and acquaintances - who really think nothing of using up other people's money in one way or another.  Years ago a good friend asked us to co-sign a loan for her.  Knew it's not a good idea so told her no.  She got insulted.  Pretty nervy.  We are raising our kids to respect money and to learn how to EARN it, have always talked about family finances at dinner table - it has seemed to work.

Sheryl-  I hold back too much on giving out info on here as it is (yes - I AM paranoid) I'm trying to work on this.  Anyway,  I too have thought of recommending this venue to my (like-minded) sister but then I would be even more reluctant to post private info.  This is my forum and I'm not ready to share  :D - plus I wouldn't want to get negative feedback about it  :eek:  that would make me mad  :mad:   I guess I'm trying to say I totally see your point   :D

CFB - I'm so scared I'm shaking  - not another pole poll about "it"   :D

Anyway, guys - it's fun to "hang" with you all - and it's nice that people understand that not everyone is comfortable with being dis--clothed   :-[
I mean disclosed!  :eek:

Have a great day!
Jane :)

I try to remain anonymous here for all the reasons mentioned above... don't want people to jump to the conclusion that because I have a big wad of money that they can have a part of it. I am generous but it only works if I give when I want to, not because it's expected of me.

I figure this board is about finances, so I haven't held back in posting my financial details, right in my first post in fact. But the flipside is that I sometimes don't feel comfortable revealing personal details (even when they are relevant to my financial decisions) due to concern that I will be "identified" by someone I know.

Well, if some masochist read every one of my posts, and pieced it all together, they'd have a lot of relatively vague ballpark numbers, would know I live somewhere near Dallas, know what type of company I work for, and would have read lots of bad jokes/puns/wisecracks...

But, to paraphrase CFB, they still wouldn't know me...

I'd be fine with posting all my details, if I were sure I was anonymous. But I think a bad guy could get past the anonymity, so I talk in generalities, and say things like "I don't keep any of my gold in the house."

Does anyone here use a different login ID to reveal personal information anonymously? (If you answer this, you may want to login under your "anonymous" ID).

My wife reads the posts sometimes if I leave the computer on and sitting here, which happens a lot. She's mildly amused by some of the shenanigans. I got an email from someone I used to work with that happened upon the place and guessed correctly who I was, also found it somewhat amusing.

My spouse says that she couldn't care less what you guys discuss with me, as long as you relieve her of a portion of the spousal conversational burden.

And she never reads any of this stuff.

Right, honey?

The great thing here is you can open up and talk about your finances, your investments, your wife, your plans to retire from your job, etc. and no one knows who the hell you are unless you post pictures of yourself or your kids.

Sheryl said:
I considered recommending this forum to a woman a know who FIRED at 55.  She would fit right in (Intelligent, cynical, and from Minnesota)

Hey, I'm not intelligent, cynical, or from Minnesota. Although I can say Minnesota just like Louie Anderson says it.

Ha

HaHa said:
Hey, I'm not intelligent, cynical, or from Minnesota. Although I can say Minnesota just like Louie Anderson says it.

Ha

I have noted you to make intelligent comments occasionally. Maybe it was an accident.

Back
Top Bottom