Tax Software, changing to a different brand - export data ?

Amazon has only pre-orders at the moment. I haven't gotten mail or email offers from H&R Block, but then again, I only buy the "Basic", so they don't like me, hehe!

$45 - Deluxe Federal & State
$35 - Deluxe Federal
$20 - Basic

(same prices as the Block site, as far as I can tell)

I just received an email offering a $25 discount on Delux download for Federal and State taxes.?
So bottom-line is that you got Deluxe Federal & State for $20? After you've used it, would you mind sharing the link? It might be a one-time thing, but might be worth a shot for others here.

Hmmm.... I got offer, but it was only for $20 off ($34.95) on Deluxe. Guess I'm not as special as you :(
I'm not sure how to interpret this. $20 off of Deluxe Federal and State would mean you would pay $25 for Deluxe Federal & State? Or are you getting $20 off on Deluxe Federal for $15? Either way, that's nothing to sneeze at. Now, if they give you $20 off of an inflated price, or a higher priced version, that's not a deal.

Last edited:
I'm loyal to TT. Had to call them a few times, over the years, and they've always been great. The last time I called I was having major problems filing an amended return. The service rep had to do a lot of things to get it ironed out. I was on the phone with her for quite a long time, and that call confirmed for me TT is right for me.

Like another responder wrote, I won't switch to save just a handful of bucks (but I'll still wait and hope I can get a good deal on TT!).

Like another responder wrote, I won't switch to save just a handful of bucks (but I'll still wait and hope I can get a good deal on TT!).
I'm hoping for a black Friday deal on TT, or maybe Costco will have something good. If it's not on sale by Cyber Monday I'll probably go ahead and get it at Amazon because I want to get things as close as possible before the end of the year.

I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of download vs CD, other than the obvious. Mostly in case I need to install it in a future year on a new laptop to file amended or whatever. CD seems good for that, but will I always have a CD player? Will the download link always work?

I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of download vs CD, other than the obvious. Mostly in case I need to install it in a future year on a new laptop to file amended or whatever. CD seems good for that, but will I always have a CD player? Will the download link always work?

Nothing to worry about. When you download it, you're actually downloading a virtual disk with the installer on it. Just save that file onto a thumb drive and you can reinstall it whenever you like.

I pre-ordered the HRB "Deluxe" based on an email offer and it was $25 plus tax, without the extended download service. I was going to switch back to TT this year but I needed to verify my withholding for 2018 and I don't think TT will be available until later. I could have done it by hand but things are complicated enough to warrant the price, IMO.

Looks like with the increased standard deduction but with the elimination of the personal exemptions, my taxes will be significantly higher this year. I need to be sure to pay some state tax by the end of the year to avoid penalties. I'm about 50 bucks shy on my federal withholding as well.

I paid $29.95 for Fed + State without the extended download offer. Maybe not the best price.

Oh well, at least I can play around with the $s early.

I paid $29.95 for Fed + State without the extended download offer. Maybe not the best price.

Looks like $15 off... not bad if you get mileage out of the state feature.

Before I even install the download, I burn a CD with the installer and also a text file with the unlocking code. Then I install from the CD. That CD goes into the pile of tax software install CDs (that I have never had need to touch, but might need to some day).

Turbo Tax Deluxe dropped $10 on Amazon ($49.99 with state). Early reviews said they had a glitch with state not being included in Deluxe versions that should include it, and it would be an additional $39 to get that. This has been fixed, at least in the download version. I suppose I should've waited to see if there will be a black Friday deal, but I pulled the trigger now. State will not be ready to download until mid December.

I know HRB is cheaper, but I had serious problems with it the year I tried, and won't go back. Two letters from the IRS for separate things that forced me to file amended or explain, plus two other issues I didn't like with the output of the return. http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/tax-prep-software-89479-6.html#post2064377

One TT annoyance already, it forces you to register, which signs you up for their promos. They have a link to opt out, where you have to enter the same info. Instead, I registered with my email, but used Intuit's mailing address so they can get their own junk mail. This is only on the registration page, not the return.

In TT, there has always been a fee that was large enough that I just mailed in my State return. If Michigan has some way around that, please let me know the specifics.
I finally figured that out last year. Slow learner.

Nit: I’m having trouble following this thread because so many of the posts do not identify which program they are referring to. Is this HRB or TT?

I’ve been using HRB basic Federal only for many years and paid $21 last yr at Amazon. I use the download version but I think you can get the CD for $5 or $10 extra. I won’t use any online proprietary tax software but I do use our state’s free online tax program.

I don’t import/export data much but I always save a backup .pdf version of my returns that I think any program can open.

I'm waiting a while to purchase TT given the tax law changes. Let them work a few kinks out first.

I'm waiting a while to purchase TT given the tax law changes. Let them work a few kinks out first.
They do updates automatically, so I'm not going to be stuck with an old version. But, I'm sure there will be a lot of updates to wait for each time I start it. I'm just a little anxious to figure out my Roth conversion amount because there are no do-overs. Of course I have to wait for December distributions anyway. I should just trust my spreadsheet, it's not that hard to calculate MAGI. Probably makes more sense to wait, unless this was a temporary price drop.

Attachments

• hrborder.jpg
    hrborder.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 135
That’s a great price. Unfortunately it’s the Windows version only, so for those of us with Macs we will have to keep looking for a better deal.

That’s a great price. Unfortunately it’s the Windows version only, so for those of us with Macs we will have to keep looking for a better deal.

Or you get a cheap windows machine just for doing taxes.
That's what I do as I run Linux on my main machine.

Well I just went to order it and when I added it to my cart and went to check out they raised the price to $31.92. All I need is basic anyway without state so no big deal.

This could go in the Black Friday thread too but it seems like this is the new game. Instead of luring you to the store the day after Thanksgiving, they are putting up short term deals. I guess to keep you on your toes. Should be some site or app that will alert you when a deal comes up. Seems to really be a time when you have to know what you want and what is a good deal because you’re going to have to find it and jump quickly. I’ll be looking for TT. Wish me luck.

Back
Top Bottom