Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.
What her best songs are is very subjective. My personal favorite is "You Belong With Me". It is geared more towards teens than Boomers so it may not be liked by the majority on here. A few of the many other good songs include "Our Song", "Fearless", "Shake It Off".

Yes, 'best' (as in 'favorite'/like) is subjective. But that's not what I was asking, I was asking for:

I'd also be *interested* in hearing a few of her songs that people might consider some of her best (musically, not necessarily most popular) works.

Some of her "best musically" will still be a bit subjective, but there are objective measures of 'musicality'.

And as I said, it doesn't really matter (I'm just curious), if her fans like what she produces, they like it, and it's all good. I also enjoy some performances that don't have much to offer in the 'musicality' area. An overall performance can be enjoyed based on any number of things.

-ERD50

Taylor Swift is best seen and not heard. But YMMV :)

I started writing songs when I was twelve and since then, it’s been the compass guiding my life, and in turn, my life guided my writing. Everything I do is just an extension of my writing, whether it’s directing videos or a short film, creating the visuals for a tour, or standing on stage performing. Everything is connected by my love of the craft, the thrill of working through ideas and narrowing them down and polishing it all up in the end. Editing. Waking up in the middle of the night and throwing out the old idea because you just thought of a newer, better one. A plot device that ties the whole thing together. There’s a reason they call it a hook. Sometimes a string of words just ensnares me and I can’t focus on anything until it’s been recorded or written down. https://www.billboard.com/music/mus...mmencement-speech-full-transcript-1235072824/

Her father must be very proud of her accomplishments in life.

I only saw her in the stands one time watching the Chiefs game, yesterday on TV. They angled the camera up there again later, but I only saw her finger nails that time. I sometimes skip bits and pieces with my 10 second jump button, so I might have missed something. But they're not going crazy showing her. Funny thing was that Tony Romo called her Travis Kelce's wife at first. :LOL:

Last edited:
She is a favorite of my granddaughter and I like a lot of her songs too. My favorites are Lover, Cardigan, Love Story, and You Belong to Me. Anti-Hero is cute. I like to watch her videos too.

I like to ask my grandkids what their favorite song is. That can be very interesting.

And Cruel Summer. I get her songs stuck in my head for days.

The only time I rmember "Time" still exists.

I'd like to know who actually gets or reads Time or Newsweek anymore. I don't even see it in the dentist's lobby.

While I wouldn’t disagree…

I am not a fan of hers perse but she has an huge and loyal following and is an extremely positive and uplifting person. We could use more people like her who lead their masses with positivity. I went to two of her concerts (long story) and witnessed it firsthand. Very impressive.

…there is something inside me that cringes and is turned off by such over-the-top idolatry. I’ve never heard a single song of hers despite admitting to being at least a bit curious…just haven’t been able to bring myself to give her a listen…at least as yet, lol

I know some of her songs and I know she is a huge celebrity. But what impressed me is her business sense. She rerecorded several albums to get back the rights to her songs. She was a strong supporter of the Me Too movement. She has given a lot financially to the staff involved in her tour and to the different communities. That impresses me.

Perhaps a read beyond the surface, one that is certainly relevant to ER:

Ms. Swift was the single biggest economic driver in the US this summer, creating billions in spending - not just on tickets for her Eras tour and movie, but her fans spent on travel, clothing, etc., to attend sold out concerts in every city. One thing I read somewhere a few months ago is she - alone - may be the reason we didn't slip into a mild recession this past summer.

You can yawn all you like, but she's a powerhouse. And no, I would not recognize one of her songs. There are far worse people to follow in showbusiness. I'm glad my niece grew up following her.

Yep that’s what I read as well.
And I would agree with this post 100%
It was a nice photo too.
I also like to add,if you love music, you love all kinds.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder about the people in this forum. I know we are (mostly) all retired, but I see some pretty curmudgeonly, mean spirited comments. We can be old of mind, or young of mind. I never paid a lot of attention to Taylor Swift although I like some of her songs. I listen to a hit radio station periodically so I understand what music is popular. My daughter-in-law is a Swiftie so I got us tickets to one of her concerts. It was amazingly good. I read more about TS and she is a savvy business woman and stands up for herself. She is a great role model. I also read the criteria for Time Person of the Year and agree she meets the criteria. We should all take more time being familiar with what drives pop culture today and research more instead of popping off unkind snippy comments, in my opinion.

Sometimes I wonder about the people in this forum. I know we are (mostly) all retired, but I see some pretty curmudgeonly, mean spirited comments. We can be old of mind, or young of mind. I never paid a lot of attention to Taylor Swift although I like some of her songs. I listen to a hit radio station periodically so I understand what music is popular. My daughter-in-law is a Swiftie so I got us tickets to one of her concerts. It was amazingly good. I read more about TS and she is a savvy business woman and stands up for herself. She is a great role model. I also read the criteria for Time Person of the Year and agree she meets the criteria. We should all take more time being familiar with what drives pop culture today and research more instead of popping off unkind snippy comments, in my opinion.

Nicely said..

Person of the year used to be Man of the Year. Just a way to sell more magazines at years end. it must work!

I can't believe this needs saying when here we are in twenty twenty three, but it was changed with good reason in the last century. 1999.

In the past, for those who are interested, apparently it did sometimes specify Woman of the Year (going back to the 1930's) and has been "Man and Woman" of the year.

Sometimes I wonder about the people in this forum. I know we are (mostly) all retired, but I see some pretty curmudgeonly, mean spirited comments. .....

That's a pretty broad brush isn't it? Maybe a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

I'd agree that some of the people in this thread are pretty curmudgeonly, but there are some of us who aren't being that way at all. Read my posts and then come back and tell me I'm being a curmudgeon.

-ERD50

How about her mother being proud? I am sure both her parents are proud. The patriarchy is strong here ?
You slightly misread me on that. I do agree with the patriarchy comment.

One thing I learned about young girls when I coached was that men could quickly go to misogyny, objectivity, and other bad places when they became insecure.

Another thing I learned was that women were very protective, as they should be. So, they don't need to be reminded of much. They carried the child, and were primary care-giver in many instances.

So it wasn't my intent to ignore her mother. I was pointing out that the comments from men might be off-base, and to think of other fathers and what they think when you objectify their daughters.

Thank you for the reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom