Tesla Model 3 full tax credit

Is there any way to get one of these vehicles for a good price if the tax credit is sort of worthless?

I don't understand why it isn't a refundable credit if the point is to make the car available to lower income.

My neighbor placed the order for a Tesla Wednesday morning, I don't know what model. They told her 3 weeks delivery, enough time to get the charger installed. They called last evening at 6, it'll be here on Monday.

According to the Car Dealership Guy, Telsa is mainly selling from their inventory of already assembled cars. You can still custom order a car, but if it's already in inventory, then the wait is minimal. They are switching from the order, assemble, then ship approach of their early years to having an inventory of cars already on the lot. Apparently, there are efficiencies of scale in doing that. Musk wants to keep EV prices low and the heat up on the other EV competitors.

The podcast below talks about this among other things. It starts at about 2 minutes. There's an interesting discussion at 25 minutes about how EVs may change the rules of car ownership. Think subscriptions, not leasing. That's the theory.

https://pod.link/1677810412/episode/6bd792600d0115a0474bfce6c16109fd

Last edited:
According to the Car Dealership Guy, Telsa is mainly selling from their inventory of already assembled cars. You can still custom order a car, but if it's already in inventory, then the wait is minimal. They are switching from the order, assemble, then ship approach of their early years to having an inventory of cars already on the lot. Apparently, there are efficiencies of scale in doing that. Musk wants to keep EV prices low and the heat up on the other EV competitors.

The podcast below talks about this among other things. It starts at about 2 minutes. There's an interesting discussion at 25 minutes about how EVs may change the rules of car ownership. Think subscriptions, not leasing. That's the theory.

https://pod.link/1677810412/episode/6bd792600d0115a0474bfce6c16109fd

Luddite checking in. I don't care for the subscription concept. But it may be the wave of the future (most likely after I'm gone.):(

Keep in mind a Model 3 refresh is coming some time this year so now is probably not a great time to buy a Model 3 unless you get a good incentive to do so.

Keep in mind a Model 3 refresh is coming some time this year so now is probably not a great time to buy a Model 3 unless you get a good incentive to do so.

I was thinking updates were just like updating your phone or computer. So buying a Mod. 3 now just meets it will updated later. Of course, IF they want to charge you for that update...

I was thinking updates were just like updating your phone or computer. So buying a Mod. 3 now just meets it will updated later. Of course, IF they want to charge you for that update...
These are hardware changes, not software updates. You don’t get later model hardware in general.

These are hardware changes, not software updates. You don’t get later model hardware in general.

I guess I'm learning more every day. I did not realize that hardware ever needed changing. I need to quiz my son more about the changes he has experienced. Thanks!

A “refresh” is simply a new version of the car. You know - 2022 versus 2021. New hardware features are introduced. New computing power or cameras maybe. Battery and range changes maybe. Style and trim. They change things over time just like other car companies do.

If you want the latest and greatest phone, you have to buy a new phone…..

Last edited:
For anyone interested, Tesla just announced a few hours ago that the Model 3 is now eligible for the full $7500 tax credit.

Just in case you were wanting to BTD...

I just learned that if you lease any EV of any kind it is considered a commercial vehicle and is eligible for the credit. A deliberate loophole in the Inflation Reduction Act.

Back
Top Bottom