The $2 bill

Being a collector of US currency, I get them frequently from my bank and use them to tip when we go out....although (until reading here) had never thought that the recipient might have thought them to be counterfeit :eek:

My husband would get them frequently too. He also liked to collect US currency.

DWs mother works at a credit union, so we get greeting cards all year long with $2 bills in them. I save them too, not sure why, just seems wrong to spend them.

Tho, today, while running my change thru a coinstar machine I found a roll of Sacajeweia $1 coins, $25. Can't remember where I got them, but must have been from DWs mother.

Our local hardware gives half dollars in change anytime they are needed. They have been doing it for years (since before it was odd). It is an old fashion hardware so it is kind of like a WayBack machine trip.

I use to get dollar coins for tips and such, may have to get some more and a few $2 bills.

Don't remember now who, but it was a well known person use to buy uncut sheets of $2 bills and have them bound into pads. He would then take out his swiss army knife scissors and cut off a bill or two to buy things. Was a great gimmick till he was held by security while they verified they were real.

Jeb

My wife carries two, two-dollar bills in her purse. Never spends them. Thinks they're lucky (or feels it would be unlucky to spend them. I'm not sure which, because I don't listen to her all that closely).

Yes, the guy certainly would seem to have a case against Best Buy and the officers who detained him.

My father keeps some $2 bills that were printed in the 1950s as good luck.

Ok... make room. Move that puny $100k bill out of the way.

Make room for the big dog! >:D

Attachments

• million-dollar-bill.jpg
    million-dollar-bill.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 6
Just out of curiousity I googled Mike Bolesta, the $2 bill guy. I couldn't find any followup, such as a lawsuit or anything. The only thing I found other than the original story was som blogger who contacted Best Buy about 6 months later. They sent a response:

Thank you for contacting Best Buy about the two dollars bill article. I
apologize I wasn't able to respond sooner. I'm Leda with Customer Care.

We appreciate your concern about the article published in the Baltimore Sun.
We are aware of the article you referenced, and the situation that occurred at the store. Best Buy does regret the
incident took place, however, we also have an obligation to contact the police when it appears counterfeit money is being used. The fact the police were concerned enough about the money to take the man into custody, and felt the need to contact the Secret Service, further validates the store's concern. While I was happy to know that the money
was found to be legitimate, I am sorry the situation left you with a negative feeling about our company.

Thank you for sharing your comments with Best Buy. Please do not hesitate to contact us with additional questions or concerns.

Best Wishes from Best Buy,
Leda and the Customer Care Team
I guess if it was my company, I'd pretend we were in the right too. And truthfully, I suspect that there might be more to the story to get the cops to overreact like that. Either major mouthing off or something.

Still, I would have expected a response from Mr. Bolesta. I suspect money changed hands with an agreement to keep mouths shut. :angel:

I just read the article. I'm not sure what this guy could sue Best Buy for. Best Buy didn't handcuff the guy, nor did it mention that they even detained him. They called the police, but that's about it. The police, I guess, did what they were probably taught to do, cuff the guy and then call in the Secret Service. However, I do think that all this could have been handled a whole lot better. It's seems that there wasn't much thinking going on, just a bunch of reacting. And, somehow, I don't think Mr. Bolesta was trying to make it easier for anybody. He did go into the store with an attitude and probably didn't do much to help his cause when things started heading south.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom