The biggest, baddest way to quit your job!

I was tired of my job situation when I retired, but the company provided a livelihood, and the means for me to achieve FI. My boss treated me very well while I worked for him, but even though I gave lengthy notice and did everything they asked of me, my boss and some others treated me poorly during my last weeks/months.
I think it's tough for managers to treat departing employees the way the departing employees would like. They're trying to cut off the relationship and move on. By definition, that often means not inviting the departing employee to meetings, not asking for his advise or comments, etc. This can seem offensive because the departing employee, of course, is thinking of all the important things he's done to contribute to the success of the team over the time he's been there. I've been through it from both sides and can recall both feeling ignored in my final months and guilty of ignoring others during their final months. But there is a weaning process that has to take place and, by definition, that process is going to make the departing employee feel less needed and less a part of the team.
I tried to leave with class, I held on to the respect of the people I cared about (who I still keep in touch with), and I don't really care what the others thought...YMMV
I did the same thing. There were some days where, after sitting for hours in my office with nothing to do, I felt extremely unappreciated "after all I had done for the company." Meetings were held where I wasn't invited or where my POV was not sought. Prior subordinates who always seemed loyal and attentive barely spoke when we passed in the hall. But, like you, I left with dignity and with a very low key aura to the whole thing. I'm really glad. In retrospect, having been gone since 6/30/2006, I realize there's little else for those staying on to do beside to move on.

You did the right thing. Personally, when I hear these "take this job and shove it" stories, only rarely am I impressed that the departing employees accomplished anything positive and frequently feel they've been jerks.

Last edited:
The ill will that was created by this was amazing, .

I agree.

Despite having been RE'd for over 5 years, I still get some (although diminishing in number lately) requests to be a reference for former staff and peers. Sadly, I've had to say no to a few who couldn't accomplish the task of "leaving with dignity." And this despite the person being a good employee prior to the resignation process.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom