The continuing Saga of the suicide purger..

I think we all have a "breaking point" when it comes to clutter and sometimes make rash decisions to find relief. I have lots of old electronics that I keep thinking would be worth selling, but keep procrastinating because I don't want to deal with figuring out ebay or have to interact with strangers/spammers via craigslist. We once listed furniture on Craigslist and I kept getting obvious fakes saying they'd ship the product to themselves and pay on delivery, which would have allowed them to say it got lost in the mail and never pay for it.
I'll probably eventually just make a Goodwill stop for the tax deduction. Or worse, drop stuff at the local landfill.

You may not agree with me but I believe the refusal get rid of useless clutter is a insidious disease. Do you really think there was any need to keep those old blinds behind the couch for years? Or the unused pool table? I suspect that two days later the incidents are forgotten. His wife will walk through the center of the downstairs and enjoy the newly freed up space.

Ive learned not to be quick in judging other peoples relationships; My buddy is a hard working stiff that probably never said no to the Mrs.

Selling a used pool table can be a pain (Selling Your Used Pool Table - DK Billiards Pool Table Sales & Service), sometimes it is easier (and perhaps more fun) to just take a sledgehammer to it. :)

While I'm sure that many people would have chosen to sell the pool table on Craigslist or something similar, I don't think the disposal method is the issue most of us are having with the conversation. I think it's the dishonesty and passive aggressive method of dealing with each other that makes this a thread worth reading. It could be that the blinds and the pool table will be forgotten in a few days, but the feelings of deception and disrespect won't. I don't know these people or how they react to each other, but that's not how I'd like my marriage relationship to be. JMO.

In the last story he removed some things from the house hid them and them disposed of them after time has passed.

In this story he got tools to flat out wreck a pool table, was questioned by his wife and lied to her and said he has already done it? Like she couldn't see the pool table was still in one piece? Are you sure this dude isn't trolling you in person?

I believe there are a number of fancy home furnishings that can fall into this category-

The basement sports bar. The piano. The pool in the back yard. The water feature.

I am enamored with the thought of creating a basement sports bar- but the reality is that it would become a dusty accumulation of junk. For the few times that we entertain, we can walk down the street to several sports bars.

We considered moving a piano that was DW's childhood piano. It was nice, and I'm sure it was a significant outlay for her family. The reality is that it is a dust collector. We decided to let it go, and our kids found a family that really wanted a piano. I told my wife that if she still wants one, we can buy a nice electric piano/keyboard. (Anyone want a player piano? We still have one of those in the basement of the old house that our son is buying from us...)

They key is- don't spend the money on things in the first place that you will end up spending money to get hauled away later. That is what we learned from cleaning our parent's houses, and cleaning out our own junk when we moved.

It is tough letting go of things that you spent good money on, especially when the value went to zero or below. Anybody need a set of encyclopedias?

Back
Top Bottom