The cyst removal..[ bad choices in healthcare]

As one who as recently as last January underwent surgery for malignant melanoma I strongly disagree. I see a dermatologist twice a year now.

DH had a spot on his forehead that turned out to be basal cell. His GP removed it and said nothing about screening. :confused: DH changed doctors the next year. The new guy said, "WHAT!? You're blonde and blue-eyed, had a BSC, and haven't been getting screened??" So DH went to a dermatologist. She spotted a tiny but suspicious freckle on his bicep, took it out for testing, and it turned out to be melanoma. Did a "shark-bite" surgery and the borders came out clean, so case closed on that it seems. He did screenings every 3 months for awhile, then every 6 months, now he's down to once a year. I started getting screened, too.

I hate to think what might have happened had that melanoma not been spotted!

For other than skin tags... ie. brown age spots and basal cell carcinoma, see if your doctor will prescribe fluourocil or the brand equivalent. It's a salve, that over a few days, or sometimes weeks, will cause the skin to scale and slough off the skin layers, only leaving a temporary red skin. Less aggressive than the freezing method.

And... as to the cost?... about $60 per tube, to clear the entire body, versus anywhere from $150 to $300 per spot at the dermatologist.

Disclaimer:
Fluorouracil - Drug Information - Chemocare

I have a tube of Fluorouracil in my medicine cabinet, expired in 2015, not used for several years. I am now on Medicare and have Humana for my drug plan. Fluorouracil is not covered by Humana and is priced at $425 on their website.

Back
Top Bottom