The danger of knowing your lifespan...

I don't think I'd change much. I LBYM mainly because I'm happy with what I already have. Plus, if I die, the money would just pass to my family. I'd be happier knowing they were better off than by having a viper for the last 6 months of my life.

yeah, we wouldn't make any money changes....but BOY, would I eat chocolate like there was no tomorrow.....(because, of course, there wouldn't be)......

Other than just forgetting about calories and what was healthy, wouldn't change a thing.......we are living life exactly as we want....except for unlimited chocolate, of course.

mmmnnnn.....Belgian chocolate........ LooseChickens

lazygood4nothinbum said:
hey nords, where's the "would you make significant change to your lifestyle if you knew when you were going to die?" poll?
Results will depend on whether you are still working or not, yes?
I would imagine the common change would be to quit work.

There is a country song about this, "Live like you were dying" , by Tim Mcgraw

TJ

teejayevans said:
Results will depend on whether you are still working or not, yes?
I would imagine the common change would be to quit work.

There is a country song about this, "Live like you were dying" , by Tim Mcgraw

TJ

Exactly. I would quit work and travel the world. I plan to do the "travel the world" part when I retire, so I'd just do it earlier.

Karen

I guess if he had a large life insurance policy he could have sold it to a firm that specializes in 'viatical’ settlements and spend the insurance companies money. Or find out that he did not have a terminal disease by the 2nd opinion the company would want to confirm his impending death.

OldAgePensioner said:
As a patient who was diagnosed with metastatic disease (lungs, liver, spine) at two Comprehensive Cancer Center's and having Renal Cell Carcinoma with no radiation/chem options (Grade 2 or 3 Clear cell RCC)

I recall private emotions that shall remain private. But I recall clearly the stigma of being considered a CANCER victim. But not me, I wont be anyone's victim, even to provide good laughter.

My reaction was simple. Get a comprehensive Medical Directive and a Bullet Proof Trust.

And Mayo clinic proved to be my sword and buckler, I was sent there by a guardian angel. She knows who she is.

FWIW, my sister NEVER thought of herself as a "victim", she often referred to her cancer as an "inconvenience"............I think it was her will to live that kept her going almost 7 years after she was told she had 6 months to live...........

My dad is a retired pharmacist. I remember his take on getting a bad prognosis from a doctor. His advice?

"Go to the Mayo Clinic. If they tell you the same thing as your first doctor, then get your affairs in order, because you're going to die"..............

FinanceDude,
Sorry to hear about you sister. Bet that extra 6.5 years having her was a blessing.

Your dad gives good advice, same here:
"If you ever get diagnosed with cancer, get a 2nd opinion trip planned for the Mayo Clinic, for those that have been, you know what I mean"

And please disregard the hokey US New & World Report rankings, what a joke.

And whatever Mayo says, plan your future accordingly.

OldAgePensioner said:
FinanceDude,
Sorry to hear about you sister. Bet that extra 6.5 years having her was a blessing.

Your dad gives good advice, same here:
"If you ever get diagnosed with cancer, get a 2nd opinion trip planned for the Mayo Clinic, for those that have been, you know what I mean"

And please disregard the hokey US New & World Report rankings, what a joke.

And whatever Mayo says, plan your future accordingly.

I find it amzing that more folks don't go there. I went there 15 years ago for something (non life-threatening), and watched a princess walk up with 3 bodyguards, I assume for a physical.

That was good enough for me....................

I told my kids that when the time comes .. .feel free to pull the plug on me ... but I did ask that they ship me off to Mayo ... for that one last 'look see... '

Exactly. I would quit work and travel the world. I plan to do the "travel the world" part when I retire, so I'd just do it earlier.

This is my plan too, Karen. But if I got sick, I wonder if I could really, truly enjoy any trip that was likely to be my last? It always seems to me that the fear would outweigh the enjoyment.

I'm really struggling with decision to bail out now (at age 50) vs working 5 more years for a bigger nest egg. Must be a mid-life crisis, but it seems that the closer I get to freedom the more fearful I am that I won't get there / won't get to enjoy it when I do.

Nords said:
But the heck with the "would you or wouldn't you" poll. I'd like to know "What specific activities would you indulge in if you had only x hours/days/months left to live? Provide graphic proposals and include pictures..."

i can't think of a thing i would do that i'm not already doing and i can assure you that the last thing you want to see are the pictures.

As a childhood onset diabetic who didn't take good care of his blood sugar, I figured out I would be dead by 45. I was almost dead by 42 from kidney failure but was saved 11 years ago by a kidney/pancreas transplant.

So I sort of knew when the end was coming. I still spent on hobbies for fun and saved all I could in a 401K since their inception. I'm glad I did now that I'm going to live forever!

Mike D. (Who has had 5 more almost-pancreas-transplants in the last two months)

Back
Top Bottom