The erosion of ideals

So there is no higher purpose? No interest in contributing anything to society? It's all about taking all you can, from anybody and everybody else? No satisfaction in leaving the world a slightly better place than you found it?

Nice ideals, but I view making money and 'leaving the world a better place' as two separate actions. They're not directly connected.

Make the money, then use it to leave the world a better place.
(Think: Bill Gates)

As noted, I can't make the world better for everyone; can't even make a dent in it. I can make it better for those close to me and my heirs.

And also as noted, it's not a zero sum game. It doesn't have to be "taking from everybody else"; that's the flaw in some people's thinking. My own nephew once commented that I "must've cheated a lot" to get where I am. When my will is read, he'll find out exactly who got cheated.

Over the past hundred and fifty years my family had contributed significant amounts to 'leaving the world a better place'. How they got there is another story altogether but I doubt anyone would want to return the money.

Last edited:
Higher purpose not required

I'll give it one more try.

So there is no higher purpose? No interest in contributing anything to society? It's all about taking all you can, from anybody and everybody else? No satisfaction in leaving the world a slightly better place than you found it?

That would be really depressing.

The non-religious answer is that there is no "purpose" whatsoever. That being said, we are social animals who have evolved to be loyal to our groups and to make those groups better in order to survive. I feel a duty to help my family and friends and co-workers that is driven by my innate desire to be a good group member. That causes me and others to sometimes defer personal gain in favor of the group. No higher purpose is required; it is programmed in our genes.

As Stanley Kubrick said:
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent, but if we can come to terms with this indifference, then our existence as a species can have genuine meaning. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.”

I have a higher purpose, that's why I smoke dope.

I'll give it one more try.

That would be really depressing.

It would be a false assumption that I don't want to contribute because I prefer to spend my money in the manner that I see fit.

I also can't change society, but I can make the world a better place for those close to me. And, like most, I simply prefer to do it my own way if it involves my money and my time rather than being told by other people how my money should be spent.

That's how I contribute. Those who want to spend my money on their ideals are the ones who are greedy. I don't demand that others spend money on causes that I find worthy.

I have 2 purposes left in my lifetime:

1. Be the best grandparent I can be. I have completed the parent part and am patiently waiting for the grandparent part.

2. Save animals. I have a business plan ready to go, just need to get to FI so I can get on with it. That's where money comes in.

All else is noise.

Yes GCs(5) are 21 to 6 so will not be finished for a while. $10k/yr for university each.
Animals need help and we do our part in both places. Spaying clinics and foster homes.
Helping poor kids. We help finance education through university for capable Mexican kids.

Yes GCs(5) are 21 to 6 so will not be finished for a while. $10k/yr for university each.
Animals need help and we do our part in both places. Spaying clinics and foster homes.
Helping poor kids. We help finance education through university for capable Mexican kids.

That's the ideals I can relate to. We may not change the entire world, but we can change our little world for the better.

Back
Top Bottom