An Update For The "Managing My Mother's Money" Thread From Last Year

Ed B

Recycles dryer sheets
An update on this situation: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/need-advice-on-managing-my-mothers-money-86223.html

[FONT=&quot]My mother responded very well to the feeding tube and over time was weaned off of it and began regaining strength. She has regained some of the function in her left leg and over time transition from 2-person max support at skilled nursing, to wheelchair at Assi[FONT=&quot]sted Living and finall[FONT=&quot]y [/FONT][/FONT]to her current condition of living independently in my guest house in the back yard. It has been a remarkable, perhaps miraculous turn-around over the past year.

We had to use some of her money to make my guest house wheel-chair/walker accessible. The wheelchair is now in the storage building and she is using a walker, cane, and her new Chevy Equinox (smh). While she isn't exactly agile, she is mobile and hostile and that $2550/month income is more than she needs by a good amount. You see, her landlord who doubles as her son doesn't charge rent.

So now I am about to invest her money for real. I will still use Wellesley but I am looking at an initial 33/33/33 with something like 33% VTI / 33% VWINX / 33% CD and cash. I [FONT=&quot]will think about the [FONT=&quot]AA a littl[FONT=&quot]e before pulling the trigger[FONT=&quot]. It might be more like 20[FONT=&quot]/50/30[FONT=&quot], but I want [FONT=&quot]her to have so[FONT=&quot]me gro[FONT=&quot]wth potential since she won't need the money unless and until [FONT=&quot]she must return to Assisted Li[FONT=&quot]v[FONT=&quot]i[/FONT]ng. The 30% in CDs is a reflection of my near[FONT=&quot]-term[/FONT] une[FONT=&quot]as[FONT=&quot]e[/FONT] with any bond[FONT=&quot]-heavy invest[FONT=&quot]ment[FONT=&quot] and [FONT=&quot]recognition of [/FONT]rising [/FONT]CD[FONT=&quot] rates. [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

She will be contributing a little from her monthly income stream partly to watch the cash numbers go up and to prepare for future needs. But she will still have plenty to use for eating out with the Church ladies and paying the older church gentleman to come do some odd jobs for her.... she needs a man to order around; it’s one of her life-long hobbies and I am too much of a procrastinator to make it fun. :)[/FONT]

My mother responded very well to the feeding tube and over time was weaned off of it and began regaining strength. She has regained some of the function in her left leg and over time transition from 2-person max support at skilled nursing, to wheelchair at Assisted Living and finally to her current condition of living independently in my guest house in the back yard. It has been a remarkable, perhaps miraculous turn-around over the past year.

Good news!

Back
Top Bottom