The Gas Vehicle Thread

For a while.....soon to be closed, I bet.;)

Why? I do not mind the back and forth... and I learn something over time...

But then again I do not see the posts that are deleted so what do I know :LOL:

Heh, heh, you're gonna need to change your screen name to Jonathan Swift.
Seems Lagado's Savants have skills for creating the ultimate ICE. It could assist denizens in the fine lands of Houyhnhnms.

Last edited:
I have an e-bike because it is easier to pedal uphill/ against the wind as compared to a conventional bike. I now have battery powered leaf blower, chain saw, and string trimmer because they are easier to start and more convenient than the gas powered versions. They have enough power to do the jobs at hand without needing charging to continue.

But I don't ever see getting rid of my gas powered truck or Jeep in favor an electric vehicle. Our roads trips require several refueling stops in areas where there are gas stations but few if any charging stations. For us, ICE vehicles today are a more reliable form of transportation than EV's. So we'll keep using our ICE vehicles as long as they are the most convenient and reliable form of transportation.

I have an e-bike because it is easier to pedal uphill/ against the wind as compared to a conventional bike. I now have battery powered leaf blower, chain saw, and string trimmer because they are easier to start and more convenient than the gas powered versions. They have enough power to do the jobs at hand without needing charging to continue.

But I don't ever see getting rid of my gas powered truck or Jeep in favor an electric vehicle. Our roads trips require several refueling stops in areas where there are gas stations but few if any charging stations. For us, ICE vehicles today are a more reliable form of transportation than EV's. So we'll keep using our ICE vehicles as long as they are the most convenient and reliable form of transportation.

So I guess the only thing electric you still might need is a pace-maker!:LOL:

We have three cars:

1. 2018 F-150
2. 2012 Subaru Outback (200k)
3. 2023 VW ID.4 EV

I think until you have owned an EV its difficult to have a clear perspective on them.

There is no doubt they have their shortcomings (mostly range based) but there is also no doubt they are far simpler than an ICE car and progressing rapidly. The VW is quick as heck for a 6000 lb. vehicle and fun to drive.

My feeling is that in 10 years ICE cars will be a nostalgia item. Battery technology will eliminate the last issue surrounding EVs and there will be many many new models to choose from.

I'm already imagining my 2028 Lightning F-150 with a 6.5' bed (today only 5.5' exists), a range of 1000 miles, and 0-60 in 4 seconds.

Last edited:
My feeling is that in 10 years ICE cars will be a nostalgia item. Battery technology will eliminate the last issue surrounding EVs and there will be many many new models to choose from.

Heh, heh, I'd put $50 against that - but not sure I'll be here in 10 years to collect.:facepalm:

IF you are correct, it will be through gummint "coercion" and not whole-hearted "conversion" to the EV band wagon. And I'd put another $50 in 10 years on that as well. Same caveat. I may not be here to collect (well, or pay up:blush:)

Why? I do not mind the back and forth... and I learn something over time...

But then again I do not see the posts that are deleted so what do I know :LOL:

When the pissing matches start, and they usually do with these topics (mine is better than yours), Porky gets dressed and is in waiting! :LOL:

When the pissing matches start, and they usually do with these topics (mine is better than yours), Porky gets dressed and is in waiting! [emoji23]

I think the trick is to avoid the personal attacks. Also, avoid simply having the same argument over and over again while convincing nobody of anything. So avoid the “Your mother wears combats boots!” comments and world won’t end. In any event, I suggest letting the mods decide these things. That’s why they get paid the big bucks.

Back on topic….. IMO I think we might easily see the full electrification of new cars by the end of this decade. IOW, full EVs and hybrids will be the only new passenger vehicles made. I am thinking world wide here, not just the USA.

Or people might just keep their ICE engine cars running longer. They are doing that today as the price of both new and used cars has inflated to the point that spending $2500+ to keep the old clunker running another year or two is now a very reasonable decision. Economic Man strikes again!

Last edited:
We have three cars:

1. 2018 F-150
2. 2012 Subaru Outback (200k)
3. 2023 VW ID.4 EV

I think until you have owned an EV its difficult to have a clear perspective on them.

There is no doubt they have their shortcomings (mostly range based) but there is also no doubt they are far simpler than an ICE car and progressing rapidly. The VW is quick as heck for a 6000 lb. vehicle and fun to drive.

I'm already imagining my 2028 Lightning F-150 with a 6.5' bed (today only 5.5' exists), a range of 1000 miles, and 0-60 in 4 seconds.

I have a 2017 F-150 and was intrigued by the lightning until I saw the price and 300 mile range. I hope your imagination of a 2028 Lightning with a 1000 mile range and 6.5' bed come true. Then I might get one.

Back on topic….. IMO I think we might easily see the full electrification of new cars by the end of this decade. IOW, fully EVs and hybrids. I am thinking world wide here, not just the USA. Or people might just keep their ICE engine cars running longer. They are doing that today as the price of both new and used cars has inflated to the point that spending $2500+ to keep the old clunker running another year or two is now a very reasonable decision. Economic Man strikes again!

In all reality, most Americans can't afford to buy an electric car and hybrids come with a premium cost adder. That won't change by the end of the decade due to high battery costs, unless "new" battery technology is developed. And that's been talked about for quite some time with no recent concrete results.

Also, many ICE vehicle uses don't convert well to battery due to size and end use. And there are a lot of them (buses, big trucks, construction equipment, aircraft, boats and ships, etc).

EV's work for small passenger vehicles and local delivery vans, and I see that continuing, but my lawn crew, hauling a trailer full of equipment in and heavy cuttings/tree stumps out, won't do it without his big diesel or gas powered truck. And his crew making minimum wage won't drive home in their $50,000 - $80,000 Tesla.

No manufacturer here in the states has come forward with a truly affordable EV in the $25 - 30 K range. I know the model 3 by Tesla claims to be close, but they mask the cost by subtracting the income tax credit (not everybody can use this) and then subtracting some fictitious savings on gasoline that's not offset by the cost of electricity needed to run the car.

GM's Bolt was a close candidate, but try to find one for under $40 K. And GM has decided they won't make them after 2023 as there is not enough profit in them. I have a friend who has a 2023 Bolt, and I have driven it. It's quite nice for the $43 K he paid for it. I would buy one if it was inexpensive enough. But the range is just slightly over 200 miles (on a good day with no hills).

So I'll stick with my 2021 Hyundai Tuscon SUV witch I just drove back and forth from Texas to Joplin, MO this last week averaging 31. 7 MPG @ 75 MPH most pf the time with the A/C blaring (hot here). It was 550 miles in each direction with one stop for fuel and a bathroom break. I can't give this car up as it fits my needs and is economical. Best run this year averaged 34+ MPG (Birmingham, AL to Atlanta, GA with a tail wind!).

Saw this in Scottsdale Az, and gave me a laugh.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 10.44.50 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 10.44.50 PM.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 48
^^^ Nice car, where does one put the shoehorn after getting in? Nice to have muscled in on the spot for T.

Our current tow vehicle for our camper, which doubles as the haul vehicle for fishing trips, is a 1999 F-150, V8, 5 speed manual. It's been a good truck for 24 years but I'm thinking it's time to get one last old school ICE truck to finish my days with. I'm concerned about the new designs that use small turbo charged engines and would rather find something with a traditional V8 or even a V6. I'd rather buy new and avoid the hassle of finding a used vehicle. 5K lbs towing capacity would be fine. I'd also like to keep it below $60K OTD. Any suggestions as to what is out there?

I've been tempted by a 150 or some other reliable pickup, but I notice my neighbor can't park his in the garage. Does yours go in the garage ? It looks so nice that it seems you do store it inside.

.... It's true that some regions and especially cities need especially clean cars to avoid significant local pollution. LA is one such place. ...

So far, Hawaii does not have such testing and, I submit, does not need it. I have never seen smog in Honolulu. The wind blows almost constantly and removes the pollutants which cause smog.

Isn't air pollution a global issue.

I think China has a no worry view as they continue to build 1 new coal fired power plant per day to feed their growing electricity needs. And no worry about pollution as it all blows on the West wind to .... North America. :facepalm:

I think the trick is to avoid the personal attacks. Also, avoid simply having the same argument over and over again while convincing nobody of anything. So avoid the “Your mother wears combats boots!” comments and world won’t end. In any event, I suggest letting the mods decide these things. That’s why they get paid the big bucks.

Back on topic….. IMO I think we might easily see the full electrification of new cars by the end of this decade. IOW, full EVs and hybrids will be the only new passenger vehicles made. I am thinking world wide here, not just the USA.

Or people might just keep their ICE engine cars running longer. They are doing that today as the price of both new and used cars has inflated to the point that spending $2500+ to keep the old clunker running another year or two is now a very reasonable decision. Economic Man strikes again!

Yes. My 2000 is running fine and is much more comfortable than any of the little boxes running around these days. Yeah, it's a bit more expensive to operate, but tags and insurance cost less. I'm hoping it will go another 5 or even 10 years. (Hoping I will too!:facepalm:)

Our current tow vehicle for our camper, which doubles as the haul vehicle for fishing trips, is a 1999 F-150, V8, 5 speed manual. It's been a good truck for 24 years but I'm thinking it's time to get one last old school ICE truck to finish my days with. I'm concerned about the new designs that use small turbo charged engines and would rather find something with a traditional V8 or even a V6. I'd rather buy new and avoid the hassle of finding a used vehicle. 5K lbs towing capacity would be fine. I'd also like to keep it below $60K OTD. Any suggestions as to what is out there?

I've been tempted by a 150 or some other reliable pickup, but I notice my neighbor can't park his in the garage. Does yours go in the garage ? It looks so nice that it seems you do store it inside.

BIL just got an F250 with a big v8 to tow his camper. His F150 with the eco boost engine struggled on hills and against the wind

Last edited:
I have a 2017 F-150 and was intrigued by the lightning until I saw the price and 300 mile range. I hope your imagination of a 2028 Lightning with a 1000 mile range and 6.5' bed come true. Then I might get one.

That will probably be an option by 2028 but the price will be something like $120K. I don't think there will ever be a $50K truck with that kind of range.

IMO I think we might easily see the full electrification of new cars by the end of this decade. IOW, full EVs and hybrids will be the only new passenger vehicles made. I am thinking world wide here, not just the USA.

Prices will have to come way down for the masses to go with hybrids and EVs. The majority of people can't afford $30K for a car let alone $60K+ which is what it costs for a good EV. Living in the North I won't consider anything without AWD and a decent ground clearance. It also has to have enough declared range to take the 30% cut from freezing temps and still safely get me where I need to go. Nothing like that is affordable for the average person right now.

It is interesting.... I read an article a few days ago saying that the inventory of EVs is starting to grow as the demand is not as high... even Tesla inventory is starting to grow...

It might just be me but I do not think that the demand for EV is there yet... time will tell..

It is interesting.... I read an article a few days ago saying that the inventory of EVs is starting to grow as the demand is not as high... even Tesla inventory is starting to grow...

It might just be me but I do not think that the demand for EV is there yet... time will tell..

There have been published reports to that effect.

But this is the ICE thread...

;)

There have been published reports to that effect.

But this is the ICE thread...

;)

LOL, I know... but I would have been beaten up, tied up, put on a stake and even quartered if I put this in the EV thread... :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom