The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunset on 7 Mile Beach on Grand Cayman this week.

17426191_10211834266559770_5950618216894923808_n.jpg

I need to get a new circular polarizer. The candidates are Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL that they claim is the best available @ $149. The next contender would be B+W XS-Pro HTC at $95.50, or Hoya Pro1 at $61. Which one is the right choice? I am willing to pay more for a better resulting image.

Interesting, never heard of the Breakthrough.

I ordered the B+W just the other day. It's suppose to be thinner, to minimize the chances at vignetting.

However, I've heard some claims that it's too thin that you can't put a regular lens cap on it.

I've also used the Marumi polarizers too. They're between the price of the B+W and the Hoyas. Nikon has one for about $150 too.

Also I've seen Zeiss one for $180 at B&H.

Interesting, never heard of the Breakthrough.

I ordered the B+W just the other day. It's suppose to be thinner, to minimize the chances at vignetting.

However, I've heard some claims that it's too thin that you can't put a regular lens cap on it.

I only recently heard of Breakthrough myself. I had an earlier B+W that had the lens cap issue. There was no front thread either. The current product description says that it has a front thread and will take a snap on lens cap.

I only recently heard of Breakthrough myself. I had an earlier B+W that had the lens cap issue. There was no front thread either. The current product description says that it has a front thread and will take a snap on lens cap.

I got my B+W KS polarizer.

Fits my Nikon 20 mm 1.8 fine and I can put the Nikon lens cap on.

In fact, when I bought the lens, B&H threw in Luminesque UV and CPL filters. Never heard of the name. It says Made in China, in contrast to Made in Germany for the B+W.

Actually the Luminesque CPL is thinner than the B+W and it also fit the lens cap.

I did use it already and the pictures look fine, maybe the skies in the photos I took with it aren't as deep blue as the photos I took with the Marumi CPL I had on my other lens.

My main concern was that with a wide lens the skies would turn out uneven but I don't see it.

I owned a portrait studio that I operated out of my home for several years. I closed it when I went back to work for my old government contractor. I sold off nearly everything except for my camera and lenses but still have some props left and a light stand on castors plus a bunch of frames. I haven't been able to find a website that caters to photographers where I might offer this material up for sale. I have pretty much worn out EBay. Does anyone here know of such a site?

I haven't posted here for a long time, since retirement I have gotten into photography and my finances on autopilot.

I bought a Nikon D750 and Olympus om-d e-m1. I used Light Room for editing and include Copyright information in the JPG metadata. If you do this and post an image you could expose your Identity (if that is any concerned) using a meta data viewer, or reverse image lookup if that same image in already on the web. JMT

I got my B+W KS polarizer.

Fits my Nikon 20 mm 1.8 fine and I can put the Nikon lens cap on.

In fact, when I bought the lens, B&H threw in Luminesque UV and CPL filters. Never heard of the name. It says Made in China, in contrast to Made in Germany for the B+W.

Actually the Luminesque CPL is thinner than the B+W and it also fit the lens cap.

I did use it already and the pictures look fine, maybe the skies in the photos I took with it aren't as deep blue as the photos I took with the Marumi CPL I had on my other lens.

My main concern was that with a wide lens the skies would turn out uneven but I don't see it.

One thing noice abut the B+W compared to the Marumi is that it doesn't darken the skies (or the landscape, such as vegetation) as much, at least in the viewfinder or in the LCD of my D750. Haven't yet developed these photos.

Some of it may be due to 20 mm 1.8 vs 24-120 mm 4.0.

I used Light Room for editing and include Copyright information in the JPG metadata. If you do this and post an image you could expose your Identity (if that is any concerned) using a meta data viewer, or reverse image lookup if that same image in already on the web. JMT

Why even bother with Copyright? Are your images so good someone will steal them and make fortune off them?

The Photographers' Corner

Why even bother with Copyright? Are your images so good someone will steal them and make fortune off them?

I never charged for my photo's except for weddings. I often post on FB groups where most photos are copyrighted and are of National Geographic quality. They are often shot by professionals, seeing this I started adding the copyright info myself.
A good day is when I have the most likes that week on large Face book group like NANPA (13,600 active members). http://www.nanpa.org

I have found some of my photo's, without my copyright, on other websites, used without my permission.

My photo's are on a national calendars for 2015/2016/2017 (got 1/2 million like votes on one) are now hanging in a university gallery. Some are in books, I have won many photo contests, starting from age 12.

All that bragging aside :) I am still waiting to take one picture that I am 100% happy with. It hasn't happened yet, but I keep trying.

I considered myself an "above average amateur".

The reason for my post was to perhaps protect someone's identity where a bad guy could find your identity via a photo. There are many people here who post photos AND have given a lot of financial details who do not want their identity known (myself included).

FWIW - My advise is be aware and be careful with posting photos if; it's already on the web and traceable to your name / web address/ etc, or you are discoverable from your photo meta data.

Last edited:
I never charged for my photo's except for weddings. I often post on FB groups where most photos are copyrighted and are of National Geographic quality. They are often shot by professionals, seeing this I started adding the copyright info myself.
A good day is when I have the most likes that week on large Face book group like NANPA (13,600 active members). NANPA | North American Nature Photography Association – Connecting the Nature Photography Community

I have found some of my photo's, without my copyright, on other websites, used without my permission.

My photo's are on a national calendars for 2015/2016/2017 (got 1/2 million like votes on one) are now hanging in a university gallery. Some are in books, I have won many photo contests, starting from age 12.

All that bragging aside :) I am still waiting to take one picture that I am 100% happy with. It hasn't happened yet, but I keep trying.

I considered myself an "above average amateur".

The reason for my post was to perhaps protect someone's identity where a bad guy could find your identity via a photo. There are many people here who post photos AND have given a lot of financial details who do not want their identity known (myself included).

FWIW - My advise is be aware and be careful with posting photos if; it's already on the web and traceable to your name / web address/ etc, or you are discoverable from your photo meta data.
Further the copyright allows the author to prevent anyone else from making money of the photo with the authors permission. (or indeed to use the photo at all in a public way)

It's unlikely they'll make much money at all with them. But it does show that they are lazy people of low ethical standards.

I've mentioned this book before - The Copyright Zone. If, and only if, you register your photos with the U.S. Copyright office (for U.S. residents only of course) you have a lot of options, some of which can bring you a large financial windfall.

If you're not interested in reading the book, here's a youtube video done by the authors with the material somewhat condensed. It is long at 1:15 but if you post photos anywhere you should be aware of this material.

It's unlikely they'll make much money at all with them. But it does show that they are lazy people of low ethical standards.

I've mentioned this book before - The Copyright Zone. If, and only if, you register your photos with the U.S. Copyright office (for U.S. residents only of course) you have a lot of options, some of which can bring you a large financial windfall.

If you're not interested in reading the book, here's a youtube video done by the authors with the material somewhat condensed. It is long at 1:15 but if you post photos anywhere you should be aware of this material.

A good case to focus on landscapes and nature photography. ;-)

Nice shots, Ronstar. I was there recently also, but the water flow was less. I'll post some after processing.

Nice shots, Ronstar. I was there recently also, but the water flow was less. I'll post some after processing.

Those are really nice shots Ronstar.

When I show folks my Starved Rock photos, I'll show them these as "what it should look like" :D

Thanks - The Starved Rock area has received 4-5" of rain in the last few days. That coupled with saturated grounds has produced a crazy amount of water in the waterfalls. It was nice to see.

ETA - The roar of the falls was incredible. I made a little video in my dslr. First time I tried a video in the dslr - wanted to see how well it maintain focus across the depth of field. Not to bad. It seemed like it did it all itself

https://youtu.be/VZbYoOf-dew

Last edited:
Wildcat canyon is the first, then LaSalle, then St. Louis canyon. St. Louis canyon is the farthest west, very close to Route 178. You can hike there west from the visitors center on bluff trail, or park at the rte 178 frontage road parking area and hike in- about a half mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom