The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are interesting. The relatively limited color palette almost makes them look like a color illustration from a book. Did you use HDR at all, or some other post-processing technique?

No, just Lightroom. The dynamic range was an issue because of the bright sky and the dark brick. So I ran up exposure by just under one stop, dropped highlights & whites to zero, and blacks up a bit. Tone curve was medium and not much different than normal in detail for a landscape.

Attachments

• LR_settings.JPG
    LR_settings.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Detail.JPG
    Detail.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 138
Nice pics, everyone!

Here is another photo from a recent hike just outside of San Francisco:

13966695396_4bc4081816_c.jpg

That picture makes me want to get outside FIREd. One thing that impresses me about the Bay Area is the very close proximity to a lot of great outdoorsy stuff. All that great hiking and the wonderful views just north of the Golden Gate Bridge in Marin, for example.

This area has indeed a lot to offer without going very far at all. This picture was taken from San Bruno Mountain, just south of the city. The Marin headlands / Mt. Tam area is a great place for hiking and offers equally breathtaking views.

Interesting. It's hard for me to tell any difference from the images they're showing though. So many other things can influence an image that it's hard to attribute a difference to just the lens or camera.

Funny you should say that Walt, as the thing that is driving my possible transition to a new camera is not image quality or features (though both have improved in the 9 years since I last bought a camera), but form factor and ergonomics.

With all the talk about how disposable electronics goods are becoming, it's heartening to me how major electronics purchases, such as cameras, can last a good amount of time with consistently useful functionality, if treated reasonably well. Well-made electronic goods have never been so robust and reliable.

We are living in something of a golden age!

Shot some at the railroad roundhouse in Martinsburg, WV, one of the few remaining. Locally it is something that many people are trying to preserve but of course money is tight.

Nice!

I've been to the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore which uses its roundhouse as a display area, but had no idea there was one in Martinsburg. (I grew up in your neck of the woods.) Thanks for sharing.

I've been to the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore which uses its roundhouse as a display area, but had no idea there was one in Martinsburg. (I grew up in your neck of the woods.) Thanks for sharing.

The Baltimore RR museum is on my list of places to visit this year since I haven't been there for almost ten years. The roof collapsed shortly after that and it was closed for 2-3 years while they rebuilt/repaired things.

The Baltimore RR museum is on my list of places to visit this year since I haven't been there for almost ten years. The roof collapsed shortly after that and it was closed for 2-3 years while they rebuilt/repaired things.
Railroad museums and roundhouses are on my list of places to visit as well. I visit the the former CB&Q roundhouse in Aurora, Il whenever I can. It helps that it has been converted to a brewpub. Awesome building - it's the oldest limestone roundhouse in the US. Beer and food are great also

Railroad museums and roundhouses are on my list of places to visit as well. I visit the the former CB&Q roundhouse in Aurora, Il whenever I can. It helps that it has been converted to a brewpub. Awesome building - it's the oldest limestone roundhouse in the US. Beer and food are great also

Greenfield Village up near Detroit has a neat roundhouse you can walk through. I should have photos somewhere in my disorganized files...

Playing with HDR to bring out textures using a single photo. Using photos about -1 EV seems to work more to my taste.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1398437549.854244.jpg

I like both of those but for different reasons, I guess. To me, the HDR one is more "artsy" and seems like I would want to frame it in my study. I love the colors on the second on and the way it pops.

You guys have sucked me in. I have done a lot of photos as a pastime and was going to go into big time in retirement (1.5 years). I am going to start playing with some bracketing for HDR this weekend. I love some of the stuff you guys have done..

The Photographers' Corner

I get the same feel. I can't seem to bring out the saturation as much in the HDR versions.

Go for it! No point in waiting. During my last years of w$&k I made purchases for retirement, while my income was higher.

There's a free HDR program called Luminance, available for Wndows, Mac and Linux. A good starter program. RAWTherapee is a free RAW editor, and DarkTable is a free Lightroom clone, but it's not available for Windows. I'm really into free open source stuff.

Last edited:
There's a free HDR program called Luminance, available for Wndows, Mac and Linux. A good starter program. RAWTherapee is a free RAW editor, and DarkTable is a free Lightroom clone, but it's not available for Windows. I'm really into free open source stuff.

Thanks, I think my weekend is now planned.....................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom