The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The adventures of buying gear in Thailand

Fake goods are common in Thailand. So are stores that don't honor return, exchange and warranty policies if the customer is a foreigner. The reputations of the long established national camera chains are well known, thanks to expat forums. So imagine my shock when I realized the lens I bought this morning was a fake.

I was so excited to find this less popular lens locally that I failed to notice it lacked one of the features which sets it apart from others in it's class: it's a zoom that doesn't extend, all the movement is internal. Thirty minutes after going out for a shoot I noticed it extended. Riding home involved continual reminders to slow down and be careful, this wasn't worth dying for.

By the time I got home I was determined to assert myself, but knew it was only money. Then I realized there was a second test for fakes. I knew it was 5 grams heavier than a lens I owned. Hefted the two and they weren't even close.

One thing Dad taught me was to 'Measure twice then cut once', so I went online to verify the lens didn't extend and ... :blush: oops ... it extends, but doesn't rotate while doing so, unlike the competition. But what about the weight ... :blush: oops ... second test shows they're almost too close to tell apart.

Thai retailers never forget. There are 2 camera stores in town so I'm glad I calmed down and double checked. Finally a big :dance: 'whoo hoo' because the image quality from the first shoot is as good as I'd hoped.

Some test exposures taken with Nikon AW1

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1406253264.755099.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1406253340.025075.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1406253358.560765.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1406253417.352668.jpg

I stopped carrying my light meter when I got my first DSLR - figured I didn't need it anymore. Forgotten how much easier it is to use, and us calibrated very closely to AW1. It's once again a permanent feature in my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Spent most of the week getting in tune with the AW1, but spent one day out with the D800 - the results are awesome. I'm SO glad I dumped the D200 in the lake.

Nice canoe shot.

I miss canoeing from when I was in Ontario (but not the mosquitos).

Tried kayaking for the first time today around Munising Mi. Wish we had room on the truck camper for a tandem sea kayak. A lot less effort, and the rudder made steering easy, especially for photography.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1406335996.203932.jpg

Tried kayaking for the first time today around Munising Mi. Wish we had room on the truck camper for a tandem sea kayak. A lot less effort, and the rudder made steering easy, especially for photography.

View attachment 19471

What do you use when kayaking for photos? I got my Cannon S100 wet when we tipped our canoe a few weeks ago. Can get great shots on the water and can also get camera wet.

Jack

Just got a Nikon AW1. Some limitations, but nice photos. All-in-all,a good all around carry camera. Can't wait for the underwater telephoto lens to come out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The Photographers' Corner

Plan on getting an F mount adaptor. My fx 70-210 would be a 175-525 on the AW1 lol. Wouldn't be waterproof though

Great shots of the pup and of your water travels Seraphim! I can see how Sea Kayaker came up with a username. Great kayak shot!

The Photographers' Corner

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1406561209.149743.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1406561249.142387.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1406561272.338040.jpg

The last photo is an extreme crop, but it was kind of cute. Makes me think "Super Duck!" The second was the view from our truck camper window last night.

We haven't had much internet activity, so visits have been sparse. Leaving Manistique and UP today. Should have more connectivity.

Manzanar Relocation Camp

I was at the Manzanar Relocation Camp in California's Owens Valley the other day and took this photo with my new Canon 6D. I am also trying to play around with HDR. This is a photo of the camp cemetery and memorial on the western edge of the camp. In the background is Mt. Williamson (14,379') which is the 2nd highest peak in the Sierra Nevada's. Mt Whitney (14,505') is just south of here.

i-BgC7P74-L.jpg

Nice shot fidler...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1406672604.955598.jpg

Munching on strange mushrooms just outside our camper. Hope he doesn't come bumming munchies later on ...

Cockpit of a vintage plane at the Oshkosh Air Show

Was that a Beechcraft? I seem to recall some models of those had that swing-over wheel.

I went to Oshkosh in 1976 but haven't made it back since then.

Was that a Beechcraft? I seem to recall some models of those had that swing-over wheel.

Can't remember if it was a Beechcraft. I'll check. Here's another - can't remember what this one was either. Judging from what my niece's husband told me, this show is a lot bigger than in the old days.

14777676461_0c7c970ca5_k.jpg

Walt - I'm almost sure it's a Waco - I zoomed in on the dash and I can see "Troy, Ohio" printed. That's where Waco's were built. I can barely a "Wa.." above that.

Nice plane photos. Like the wide angle shot...

Went out to dinner with DW for our anniversary, these are some shots from the grounds of the Bavarian Inn in Shepherdstown, WV. The water is the Potomac River.

Attachments

• Bavarian_Inn-1.jpg
    Bavarian_Inn-1.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Bavarian_Inn-2.jpg
    Bavarian_Inn-2.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Bavarian_Inn-3.jpg
    Bavarian_Inn-3.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Bavarian_Inn-5.jpg
    Bavarian_Inn-5.jpg