The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe it or not 3 degrees in early January is rather nice. It could just as easily be 25 or 30 degrees below zero.

I guess it's all perspective then. BTW, before retiring when I was researching where to move to I looked at the Census Bureau's web site to find the continental state with the lowest population per square mile. That state was North Dakota.

Then I looked at the NOAA's web site for climate data there and the light bulb went on.:LOL:

It's 13 below now with a 4 mph wind giving a wind chill of25 below zero. I think the population density of the state is about 9 people per square mile.

This is the first day this winter that it's been cold enough for sun dogs. 3 degrees and lots of ice crystals in the air

I was born in North Dakota (Mott area) and spent the first seven years there. I, then, grew up in the Black Hills of South Dakota (Lead/Deadwood). I never seen but have a (very) vague recollection of (hearing about) Sun Dogs. How sad... this is amazing.

This was yesterday Sun Dogs and I am stuck in Colorado.

Here's another sun dog picture from a couple of years ago. It was taken at sundown.

Attachments

• Sun dogs.jpg
    Sun dogs.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 17
How does the gear hold up at those temperatures?

Can frost build up, especially inside lenses?

Or condensation when going inside to outside or vice versa?

I've never had any problems with frost. When the temperatures get really cold the air is extremely dry. If you don't use an LED focus screen on a digital camera an eyepiece can fog from the moisture around your eye but it will clear when you move it away from the eye. I also sometimes use a telescope and that needs to be allowed to reach air temperature before good astronomical photos can be taken but never any frost. Condensation will happen going inside with the cold equipment but I just let things sit in open air and dry and have had no problems. I've never seen a lens fog on the inside. One other thing is I make sure batteries are not old, In cold temps batteries will fail fast.

I've seen a couple of full moon nights when a rainbow like ring can be seen around the moon but I've never had a camera with me when that's happened. It's very rare, the last time I saw that was before I had a cell phone with a camera.

In an earlier post I said 3 degrees wasn't too bad. Two nights later it hit 26 below.

Last edited:
Portrait with stork, propane, eggplant, and bee hives.

12540858_10155003526132925_3500564725765134365_n.jpg

Last night I went to Scripps Pier in La Jolla (first visit). This wasn't the picture I was planning to get but I'm very happy with it.

I don't know the couple or have any idea who they are. They were just there enjoying the sunset.

whoops here is the pic

Attachments

• bay046368.jpg
    bay046368.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 21
What is the difference between Bridge and Lightroom?

Thought only Lightroom was included in the CC and sold as standalone.

Adobe's new "Boundary Warp" tool in the Panorama Merge tool:

That is slick! Those programmers never cease to amaze me.

Explanade, Bridge comes with Photoshop and I believe is a file viewer and management tool. I played with it briefly several years ago and haven't used it since. If I'm mistaken I'm sure someone will correct me.

Lightroom is essentially a database program but you can do a lot of image manipulation with it before having to go to Photoshop. Many photographers regard it as essential, as do I. Perhaps you can find a copy of Scott Kelby's Lightroom CC Book for Digital Photographers at the library or buy a used copy. I highly recommend his books. They are well written and contain step-by-step instructions and hundreds of screen captures to explain what is going on.

One of the neat things about Lightroom is that it never alters the original image file. To get a copy of an altered image you "export" it to a new, different, file that will show the changes. And I've read that many photographers believe that the print module alone is worth the price of the software - it's pretty sophisticated.

Yeah I thought from the video this new feature is only on Adobe Bridge.

But it's part of the Lightroom 6.4 release.

I didn't watch the whole video but I thought they said something about iPhone panoramas that it would fix? If it did that, that would be great.

But really what they need to fix would be perspective correction, so that you don't have that rounded effect in the middle of these smart phone panos.

What is the difference between Bridge and Lightroom?

Thought only Lightroom was included in the CC and sold as standalone.

Walt's explanation is correct... and sufficient. However, for a much more detailed explanation, this Google search will fill in the blanks. Bottom line is, however, they have completely different functions.

Bridge is, actually, part of the CC program. (simply put) It is part of Photoshop.

Yeah I thought from the video this new feature is only on Adobe Bridge.

But it's part of the Lightroom 6.4 release.

It is, actually, an "Adobe Camera Raw" feature... which makes it a part of the CC version of Lightroom. So you get it with either program.

Lightroom is essentially a database program but you can do a lot of image manipulation with it before having to go to Photoshop. Many photographers regard it as essential, as do I. Perhaps you can find a copy of Scott Kelby's Lightroom CC Book for Digital Photographers at the library or buy a used copy. I highly recommend his books. They are well written and contain step-by-step instructions and hundreds of screen captures to explain what is going on.

My "go to" book on Lightroom is Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC/6 - The Missing FAQ by "The Lightroom Queen," Victoria Bampton. See, also, her Blog at The Lightroom Queen or her website at The Lightroom Queen – Tips, Tutorials & Troubleshooting for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.

GAS vs LBYM

Gear Acquisition Syndrome allowed me to attempt to explain the 'why' and 'how' of LBYM to a friend. I failed.

I ran into him one morning at a coffee place near the only photo shop in town. He reads my blog, and so commented on my recent annual cost of living in Thailand post. He knows I turn 62 this year and intend to delay taking SS until I'm 63, but doesn't see why my reason would be sufficient (It's to maximize a Roth conversion without going over 15% bracket). Finally he has long since figured out I must be LBYM because my non-trivial splurges, e.g. I flew business class to Europe for the first time, didn't fit with the rest of my spending habits.

I accompanied him to the photo shop. The Pannasonic / Leica f1.4 25mm (50mm equiv) was on display for the first time. We both know I want a fast 'normal' prime lens, it has better image qualities than my Pro zoom at 25mm, and I can afford it. What he didn't understand was how and why I was able to decide by giving more weight to my needs than my wants.

Dawn

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1455485543340.jpg
    1455485543340.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 19
Pelican in morning fog

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1455492915350.jpg
    1455492915350.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 20