7.6 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Sundown

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1462063157318.jpg
    1462063157318.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 18
Anybody here have the Sony A6000, or the newer A6300? I'm looking at upgrading from P&S to mirrorless, and these have really stood out in my research.
This reply is a bit late, but if you're open to a fixed lens mirrorless compact (no interchangeable lenses), then the Ricoh GR II is worth considering, IMO. It has a nice sharp 28mm equivalent lens and an APS-C sensor. It also has a feature called snap-focus that I haven't seen on any other camera. As with other cameras, pressing the shutter button halfway activates the auto-focus. However, if you're in a situation when you want to take a shot very quickly, if you push the shutter straight all the way down, the camera jumps to a pre-selected focus distance and takes the shot almost instantly. For bright days, I have it set to something like f/11 at 1/250s and the camera selects the ISO. My snap-focus is preset to 1 meter, so at f/11, everything from about 2 feet to 10 feet is acceptably sharp. With the snap-focus set to 1.5M, at f/11, everything from about 2.5 feet to infinity is acceptably sharp. Street photographers love this feature.

The Ricoh GR and GR II are very, very pocketable, making them very easy to carry around with you.

I understand that not everyone will want a camera with a single wide angle lens, but thought I'd mention it. The image quality is definitely there. The ergonomics are good too. On top of that, it's less than US$600.

Nice! Where did you find those?

There is an antique car museum in Hershey, PA that I've been to a couple of times. It's about an hour 20 minute drive I think and I can spend hours in there.

I know what you mean - I can spend hours looking at old cars, too.

Found these in Wilmington, Illinois at the Route 66 Illinois Red Carpet Corridor Festival. Illinois Route 66 Red Carpet Corridor.

Also went to the Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie Bison Festival, but couldn't get within 400 yards of any bison, so no luck on good bison shots.

It's a rainy yucky day here so I put the macro lens on and started looking around for something, anything, to play with. Nikon D7000, 85mm macro lens, 36mm and 20mm extension tubes, and a +2 and (at different times) a +4 lens on the end of the macro lens. Plus the Nikon R-1 Speedlight remote kit. First, some popcorn:

Attachments

• popcorn-1.jpg
    popcorn-1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 16
  • popcorn-2.jpg
    popcorn-2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 17
  • popcorn-3.jpg
    popcorn-3.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 17
What is this? The last photo should be the giveaway.

Attachments

• whatisit-1.jpg
    whatisit-1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 17
  • whatisit-2.jpg
    whatisit-2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 34
  • whatisit-3.jpg
    whatisit-3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 22
The depth of field is only a couple of millimeters! I never have anything that good.

The depth of field is only a couple of millimeters! I never have anything that good.

On the first two staples shots the aperture was f/9.0 Later on I closed it down to f/32 for more depth of field and that shows in the popcorn shots too.

I love that Nikon TTL flash system and use it a lot. You can put shutter and aperture on manual and the flash system will follow along as far as it can. If you want more or less light you can set it for +/- three stops at the flash controls and another three via the camera.

These are a drinking straw I did yesterday but didn't post. Just in case you ever wondered how that little bendy thing worked....

Attachments

• straw-1.jpg
    straw-1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 15
  • straw-2.jpg
    straw-2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 16
  • straw-3.jpg
    straw-3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 15
Pictures of a tobacco barn in CT near where I once lived. Another picture of a grocery store (torn down 2006) near where I currently live.

Attachments

• Tobacco Shed 2.JPG
    Tobacco Shed 2.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Tobacco Shed 3.JPG
    Tobacco Shed 3.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Our Grocery Store.JPG
    Our Grocery Store.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 16
I'm still guessing in case there are two correct answers:

note: added second photo for easy and obvious comparison
to Walt34's photo (several posts above)

The bristles of a baleen whale.

Last edited:
Just put together a new underwater set. Sony RX-100 II with Nauticam housing, wide angle and macro wet lenses, 2 strobes, etc. Still in awe how much smaller it is compared to my last set: Subal with 5D2.
Can't wait to get it wet. Unfortunately our first dive trip since getting the ok from my ENT won't be until September. But it'll be for the whole month!
I'll have to play in the pool until then.
Any other UW photographers here?

Prison cells at St. Elmo's Battery, Valletta, Malta

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Just put together a new underwater set. Sony RX-100 II with Nauticam housing, wide angle and macro wet lenses, 2 strobes, etc. Still in awe how much smaller it is compared to my last set: Subal with 5D2.
Can't wait to get it wet. Unfortunately our first dive trip since getting the ok from my ENT won't be until September. But it'll be for the whole month!
I'll have to play in the pool until then.
Any other UW photographers here?

Not a real UW photographer, but I have done some GoPro stuff underwater. I also have a Sony RX-100. I didn't know they could be used underwater.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom