The Photographers' Corner - 2021 to ?

Pic I took a couple evenings ago on the Gulf Coast of FL. The moon and Venus. Love the color contrasts in the sky.

Attachments

• 253859399_10224552872956545_6648849033366891189_n.jpg
    253859399_10224552872956545_6648849033366891189_n.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 38
some light painting

Attachments

• 19F_7276.jpg
    19F_7276.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 38
Nice pic.

Just want to let you know, if it's a concern for you that when you post a Flickr link people can se you name from that post.

Thank You. Not a concern. I like how they display from Flickr, and I enjoy being able to see full resolution on Flickr, other photographers settings, equipment used and other info. I have learned a lot from other folks shots.

A nice Red Tail Hawk I photographed a couple days ago.
DRJC9645-Edit Red Tail Hawk by David Johnson, on Flickr

How do you like that 800mm lens, Dave? Back in my birding days I used to tote around a 500/4 (typically with a 1.4x extender) to get almost the same length, but with a lot more weight. Had the 800/11 been available back then I think I would very likely have traded the extra stops for the reduction in pounds.

PS. Looking at your Flickr page you have some very striking wildlife photos (and an impressive arsenal of lenses). I particularly like your bald eagle in flight - perfect composition and timing and every bit as sharp as anything I ever got with the old EF superteles

Last edited:
How do you like that 800mm lens, Dave? Back in my birding days I used to tote around a 500/4 (typically with a 1.4x extender) to get almost the same length, but with a lot more weight. Had the 800/11 been available back then I think I would very likely have traded the extra stops for the reduction in pounds.

PS. Looking at your Flickr page you have some very striking wildlife photos (and an impressive arsenal of lenses). I particularly like your bald eagle in flight - perfect composition and timing and every bit as sharp as anything I ever got with the old EF superteles
I like the 800/11 a lot. When it was first announced, I laughed as it seemed ridiculous. But after reading folks that actually own and use it, I had to try for the price. Light enough to handle, the extra length allows me to crop less, so don't have as much noise to deal with. The only great white I have owned is the 300mm F2.8 IS II. I used it with the 2X a lot. I just sold it a week or so ago, as the size made me use it less and less after getting the 800mm. Thanks for the kind words on my Flickr page. I am getting the new RF 1.4X delivered tomorrow, so we will see how that works. Seen good results from others.

TOOLMAN, that is some interesting photography! Very nice hobby and work you have done. Thanks for sharing those photos.

The Photographers' Corner - 2021

A little embarrassed to be posting this in among real photographers but it’s one of my best [emoji15].

Using my iPhone 13 pro.

From bottom left: Venus, moon, Saturn, Jupiter, old San Juan wall, Puerto Rico. Taken yesterday.

Looks great on my phone but not sure if resolution is lost when I upload.

IMG_0308.JPG

ETA: I have no idea about photo composition but I like the 4 bodies and the wall and light.

Last edited:
Ive been doing a photo calendar for the past few years. 2022 will be old local barns. Just sent the pics to snapfish yesterday. Here's one of them.

Attachments

• 2022 calendar barn flag barn.jpg
    2022 calendar barn flag barn.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
This isn’t posted for the photographic ability. He was in the Calleguas Mugu Estery. IMG_2959.JPG

Another great FL Gulf Coast sunset on our last night here....

Attachments

• Bradenton Beach Susnset 2021.jpg
    Bradenton Beach Susnset 2021.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 39
Bic Pen, macro 5X, focus stacked

These micro pictures remind me of looking under the microscope to see a micro-USB connector.

I was attempting to make a Micro-USB connector hold better in my phone. First I tried some precision tweezers, once I put the tweezers under my microscope, they didn't look so precision! I used a diamond knife sharpener to get the ends cleaned up and adjusted them for good alignment. This would grab, but not tight enough to lift the lever high enough to bend it back into position. Then I thought I could lever under the end with a sewing needle, I could not get it under the lever, so I put the needle under the microscope, doesn't look so sharp under magnification. I sharpened it on my diamond stone. That got it sharp enough to do the job, but the metal is fatigued so it's not going to last.
Can you buy a quality Micro-USB cable? I looked over Amazon, but there seemed to always be someone saying over time it would not stay in the product. The outside reviews never tackle that, they just say how the wire never breaks.
As Roseanne Roseannadanna said, "it's always something"

Desert bighorn mountain sheep - taken at Colorado National Monument. The funny thing was we stopped at the very first pullout/viewpoint at the East entrance to the park and this group was chilling out. We hadn't even made it to the visitors' center, and this was the best wildlife spotting of the day.

Best regards,
Chris

Attachments

• DSC04032.jpg
    DSC04032.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 28
BubbaChris, how convenient -- as if they were waiting for your visit. They are amazing animals. A great capture.

Nothing professional about these pictures taken with phone last evening.

Attachments

• IMG_8328.jpg
    IMG_8328.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8327.jpg
    IMG_8327.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8325.jpg
    IMG_8325.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom