The Retire Early Home Page

REWahoo! said:
Reminds me of the old joke about how saliva isn't harmful unless swallowed in small amounts over a long time period... ;)

And then only if its your own.

Hmm...someone else was promoting the benefits of fish oil here a while back.

REWahoo! said:
So fish oil is either good for you (and good for Dr. Dave's bank account) or bad for you (and good for the pharmaceutical company's bank account).  :confused:

FORMAL APOLOGY AND MEA CULPA TO THE FORUM...

I am new to this forum. I came across the post of a seriously ill individual, and replies from others to his situation. I will begin my own fun with experimental infusions of a new app of a Genentech wonder drug (rituxan) next Tuesday at UCSF, after two previous conventional drugs failed, so I was moved by the ill person's situation, and knew I had something of value to contribute to the discussion of STATINS- which are a TRUE problem/borderline scam- for those of you who are so hungry for something to be glib and cynical about.

Not knowing who I was dealing with, I put my two cents in, and I regret it. Won't happen again. There's a fine line between being glib and cynical, and being a stupid schmuck. Hope some of you find it one day. You dudes are too cool for school.

Art - dont take it so seriously. We're a bunch of goofballs, thats all. What do you expect? We're a bunch of people without jobs...

I was suggesting fish oil a while back and my wife and I still take it. I think its good for you as long as you get some that isnt loaded with mercury and whatnot from the recent fish poisonings. I'll throw any log on the fire that isnt too expensive and might do me some good. I got the usual bunch of junior high school stuff here. Just stick your tongue out and proceed.

The whole shocking story (Abridged)

Ok, here's some more reasons I am not keen on fish oil.  

As the previous poster said, there is the problem of  mercury and other industriual pollutants. yeah yeah, everybody who sells them swears they are "purified" but just what does that mean excatly?  And how can I be sure it means anything at all?

In MY OWN PERSONAL case there is a problem with antibiotics.  Along with having been fried by statins
I am sensitive to the flouroquinolone family (like the Manson  Family!) of antibiotics. These are used extensively in all meat and fish production. If I eat  fish or chicken that has been treated it can get serious. AND for an extended period of time. Not a 2 day bellyache. I spent most of 2003 recovering form an inadvertant exposure from food.

So, while they might say they use ONLY wild caught fish livers to extract the oil from...how do I know that? I have no way of proving or knowing anything and there are no evil, dreaded government regulations pre-emptively controlling their actions to reassure the public. Sure if I get killed or further crippled  I can roll the dice with another merchant, I guess.  But they mostly do teh same thing teh same way., It's called "industry standard".  It's preposterous.

I ain't stickin' that in MY mouth.

Art said:
You're right, th. Thanks.

Sorry Art - was just funnin'.

I have taken fish oil in the past, however, I too have some concerns (eg pollutants).

I'm much more likely to eat fish, and also go with flaxseed (flaxseed oils) which also contain Omega-3 acids. The flaxseed oil by itself probably isn't complete enough.

This following site is actually a proponent of "seal oil", but the pages on fish and flaxseed oil are somewhat informative.

http://www.omega3sealoil.com/Chapter5_1.html
http://www.omega3sealoil.com/Chapter5_2.html

moghopper said:
Sorry Art - was just funnin'.

Thanks, Mog, but not necessary.

Anyway, I started on flax oil for the Omega 3. If you visit the sight I mentioned, you'll see why that dog won't hunt (well). And you really can't eat enough fish either. The enewsletter is free. And he can't spell to save his life, which, to me- adds to his credibility.

Razz, you know your own situation and I'm sure you are the best judge of how to proceed. You're tough, I admire your strength and have nothing but the greatest respect for you. So much so, in fact, that I have removed Chester Arthur as my avatar, out of deference to you.

Art

Art said:
Anyway, I started on flax oil for the Omega 3.

Correction: I started on ground flaxseed- I ground my own- not flax oil.

Just chanced on the portion of this thread related to cholesterol and wanted to relate a recent experience. I tested 246 (total) on 5/19 and began a diet program (added to existing walking). My previous best ever total number was 192. On July 14th I tested at 159 with LDL down over 70pts. What I didn't tell the dr. was that I was taking 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon every day with my oatmeal. It is also true that I dropped 20lbs over this time, but I had been at the lower weight before when I tested at 192. Read more at http://cholesterol.about.com/b/a/108723.htm.

Also, higher amounts of cinnamon than this can be toxic

I am a 41 year old female and wondering if I should retire early. I don't a thing about early retirement, how to do it, or what if any consequences there are. I would just like some info. I also don't know how to find out how much i would get monthly if I do.

tommie said:
I am a 41 year old female and wondering if I should retire early.  I don't a thing about early retirement, how to do it, or what if any consequences there are.  I would just like some info.  I also don't know how to find out how much i would get monthly if I do.

Well, young lady, you've come to the right place.

In this forum you will find all the answers you need.

Just get yourself some popcorn, have a seat, and enjoy the ride here.

It's funny how some people think of how long they have to go....8 years or 5 years, etc. For many years I have thought of it this way....when I was 38 I thought, 'I can retire today....if I want to live in a trailer in the country'. Today I think, 'I can retire today.....if I want to sell my house and live well in Mexico'. I keep working and saving because I know that DW won't live in a trailer or in Mexico, but mentally, I know we can if we want to. I guess everyone has to decide on their big day. Personally I will keep working until my kid is in college and I am fully vested in my pension....9 more years, but there is that part of my brain that says....I can retire today.....if

dusk_to_dawn said:
It's funny how some people think of how long they have to go....8 years or 5 years, etc.  For many years I have thought of it this way....when I was 38 I thought, 'I can retire today....if I want to live in a trailer in the country'.  Today I think, 'I can retire today.....if I want to sell my house and live well in Mexico'.  I keep working and saving because I know that DW won't live in a trailer or in Mexico, but mentally, I know we can if we want to.  I guess everyone has to decide on their big day.  Personally I will keep working until my kid is in college and I am fully vested in my pension....9 more years, but there is that part of my brain that says....I can retire today.....if

Welcome to the board.

Yes, we can all retire if........
Each of us has our own "if" list we use to balance resources accumulation vs future income needs. For some that means working in the salt mines another 1,5, or 10 years to get the Brass Ring of pension, fully vested 401K, stock options or what have you. For others, it means getting out from under the thumb of management and being free. The cost for do so is an individual matter and depends on your wants and needs.

She you could live in a travel trailer in Mexico eating beans and rice but if that does not make you happy tben what will?
Your What will tell you how much you need to have in the vault to fund your needs. When the level in the vault equals your needs (plus a little slop for just in case) you are there.

Glad to have you here and I am looking forward to your thoughts and comments.

dusk_to_dawn said:
It's funny how some people think of how long they have to go....8 years or 5 years, etc. For many years I have thought of it this way....when I was 38 I thought, 'I can retire today....if I want to live in a trailer in the country'. Today I think, 'I can retire today.....if I want to sell my house and live well in Mexico'.

I think the year counts are odd, too. I've thrown out 10, 15 and 20 years as figures but try to qualify them as extremely rough guestimates. (Before I did projections I guessed 10-15 years; after projections I figure 20 if things go reasonably well.) Since I've been free of debt and watching the money pile grow I can begin to entertain options other than my previously envisioned "traditional" ER. Only quite recently while reading Terhorst's book have I begun regularly entertaining the idea of semi-retiring now/soon. So now I can look at it your way and say "I can quit now if I work odd jobs here and there and live very frugally." I like your way of looking at it; it will be a good periodic mental exercise instead of wating 10-20 years for 4% to cover a year's expenses.

I may be on the wrong board....but I'm new to the forum. Can I download the FireCalc program to my computer so as to make changes and get results without being logged on to the web?

beeker said:
I may be on the wrong board....but I'm new to the forum. Can I download the FireCalc program to my computer so as to make changes and get results without being logged on to the web?

I'm not aware of any way to download FIRECalc.

beeker said:

I don't know of any way to download FIRECALC, but you can download intrcst's Safe Withdrawal Calculator:

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/softlist.html

The Save Withdrawal Calculator is a spreadsheet based historical simulator. The data base and the methodology are nearly identical for the two programs. FIRECALC is more user friendly and has some nice features that the Safe Withdrawal Calculator does not have. But you can do some things (including customize the program) easier with the Safe Withdrawal Calculator. :D

They need to keep Bodi Miller and his parents off TV or I'll end up retired tomorrow. I don't need ideas like that.

He posts here under the name "brewer123456". But he swears he's a 15 year old named 'michelle'.

Why did retireearlyhomepage.com drop the dory36 message board from their front page? Just noticed it about 10 minutes ago.

larry said:
Why did retireearlyhomepage.com drop the dory36 message board from their front page? Just noticed it about 10 minutes ago.

I don't know. It just happened a day or two ago, and I don't think anybody's heard why.

No way to download, but you can export a spreadsheet (with the formulas) as long as you don't use one of the alternate spending models (95% rule or Bernicke).

The spreadsheet isn't formatted to be pretty, but you can have something on your PC that will let you play around.

Back
Top Bottom