The year you were born...

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
What happened.What happened in my birth year?

My mom couldn't vote on my birthday because President Franklin Delano Roosevelt was being re-elected. What was going on in the year you were born?

Last edited:
Thanks, that's a fun link. "Hello, Goodbye" by the Beatles topped the charts... and the year we first landed on the moon.

Nice site, but it kept telling me "that was the world you were born into" when describing life in the US at the time. That was not the (part of the) world I was born into.

Being born in 1966, I think I know that Google, DVDs, and digital books weren't around back then. :facepalm:

ESPN debuted!!! Can't imagine not having ESPN.

Being born in 1966, I think I know that Google, DVDs, and digital books weren't around back then. :facepalm:

Yeah, I was born in 1948 and the site told me that, too. :LOL:

Other than the filler that was probably added for many other birth years, like the above, all the website came up with by the time I ran out of patience was that the movie "Easter Parade" came out that year. :rolleyes:

The "Tripartite Aggression" in late 1956 which closed the Suez canal for about a year.

In 1975 I would serve aboard the USS Inchon on assignment to prepare for the reopening of the canal after Egypt's 1967 war with Israel. Inchon spent about three months clearing mines from the north entrance to the canal near Port Said.

Last edited:
I had one of those boring birth years, as did Mr. A (many years previously). Heck, I bought him the "newspaper published on the day you were born" and he never took it out of the box.

Amethyst

nice site, but it went on long enough that my screen saver came on :facepalm:

I lost patience and tried to close the tab. The pop up window actually said 'typing too slow? Hit cancel and we'll print it out all at once'.

Sometimes impatience pays!

What little I read of it - slow loading - didn't seem relevant to much. Newswise, 1950 was a pretty boring year.

1966 for me too, and yes, that struck me the same way...very unremarkable.

Also, I didn't like the way it typed it all out like that...just takes too long.

1966 for me too, and yes, that struck me the same way...very unremarkable.

Also, I didn't like the way it typed it all out like that...just takes too long.

What! the typing out letters like from the last century is too slow for today's ADD culture? I thought it was too slow also, but I took it to be a historical demonstration, for good or bad :confused:

What! the typing out letters like from the last century is too slow for today's ADD culture? I thought it was too slow also, but I took it to be a historical demonstration, for good or bad :confused:

Yes, I felt very millennial as it dragged on and on, despite being born in 1970!

I was born in 1963 but the stuff it wrote mentioned nothing about JFK getting shot and killed, arguably one of the biggest events of the second half of the 20th century.

I read a heck of a lot faster than that! It's scrolling away in the other window now...not real interesting stuff, though.

1943 Born in a Kaiser Hospital on a break from building Jeep Carriers. 'Rosie the riveter' got preggers in the shipyard.

:LOL: :LOL: :dance:

heh heh heh - just kidding but was born in a hospital for war workers and lived in housing built for shipyard workers. Disappeared in the flood of 48. :D

Sputnik 1. I briefly fact checked this next one, but the S&P 500 came in replacing the S&P 90? I had never heard of the S&P 90.

No I was too impatient to wait on the way that application worked, just Googled.

MRG

Yes, I felt very millennial as it dragged on and on, despite being born in 1970!

No joke. So slow. I need data NOW!!!!!!

The year of my birth, they released some Star Wars movie. Apparently that was before DVDs.

The "sound of music" movie was released during my year of birth. I have not seen the movie yet.

Back
Top Bottom