This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surfin' the Web at 77F inside the house is good, even if I run out to the backyard shed to check on the solar power equipment a few times a day. Eventually, will have a wireless telemetry system for remote monitoring.

And come winter, I will be basking in the sun with 70F outdoor temperature, while others bundle up to go run their snowblower.

....And come winter, I will be basking in the sun with 70F outdoor temperature, while others bundle up to go run their snowblower.

Or you might be looking out your door at this (last winter in Scottsdale, Az)

Attachments

• snow cactus 2.jpg
    snow cactus 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 48
^^^^ Ah, not enough to even bundle up, let alone running a snow blower.

And it lasts only one day, good for a scenery change.

^^^^ Ah, not enough to even bundle up, let alone running a snow blower.

And it lasts only one day, good for a scenery change.

Great scenery change - I spent the snow day taking the best photos that I've taken in Az. I went to the Granite Mountain trailhead east of Pima Rd, North of Dynamite. Snow in the parking lot was 8-10". I didn't stop for fear that I would get stuck. The city of Scottsdale closed the trails up there for a couple of days to let them dry out. When I went back, it looked like it had never snowed.

They just revised the high today from 112F to 114F. We are now as hot as Provence, France. Who wouldda thunk?

And it's still dry heat. I would die in 114F with high humidity and no AC.

Still remember the few days in Paris in June 2017, when the temperature hit 95F or so. I was so miserable in the Airbnb without AC. During the day when we walked about the city, it was tolerable, but at night it was so difficult to sleep when it was that hot.

This weather is awful!!

Weather looks very torturous in most of Europe tomorrow( 100+/-). We’re headed to Switzerland/Germany/Netherlands at the end of August, so I’ve started to pay attention. Climate change is weird; in the Northeast part of the US, temps are below normal, rain is significantly above normal and sunny days are few and far between. Our first real beach day was yesterday.

I wish you luck. As mentioned in our 6-week road trip through Europe in 2017, we started out in early May. It was nice and cool when we landed in Paris. At the end of the trip in mid June when we were back in Paris, it was murder! And it was only mid 90Fs. I guess I am spoiled with AC here.

Earlier this year, we traveled early through Spain and Portugal, starting in early April, coming back mid May. It was nice! It got hot in Spain earlier due to its lower latitude, and I was so glad I started earlier.

My two brothers took their family to Europe this year also, and came back in early June. They barely escaped this heat.

We went to Poland in October and it was 64 and humid. We used the A/C.

The weather in Arizona. But it’s a dry heat. :-X

Attachments

• 48D2B35E-28CC-4A78-BD98-C17D4A7C3BE6.jpg
    48D2B35E-28CC-4A78-BD98-C17D4A7C3BE6.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 35
Yeah, well, we got plenty of blue skies. It’s the large yellow ball in the sky that’s the problem ��

Yikes, 270 miles SE of Scottsdale @ 4600 ft maybe 85 for the high and 20% chance of rain the rest of the week.

Looks like hurricane season has finally started ramping up for us! See below, our possible Tropical Storm Barry, expected to come ashore somewhere in Louisiana maybe around Saturday. We are told to prepare for 12"-18" of rainfall.

The storm isn't even here yet and we already have a river flood warning for the Mississippi River here in New Orleans, since it is already extremely high due to waters moving down it to the Gulf of Mexico from up north. So, 12"-18" on top of that and it's beginning to sound like a potential flooding event.

We haven't had any hurricanes or tropical storms here in New Orleans for maybe 6 years or so, IIRC. So, I guess it's to be expected. It's still too soon for a good prediction of where this storm will go, or how strong it may ultimately become, etc.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 31
Looks like hurricane season has finally started ramping up for us! See below, our possible Tropical Storm Barry, expected to come ashore somewhere in Louisiana maybe around Saturday. We are told to prepare for 12"-18" of rainfall.

Yeah, I have been following the forecasts for this storm also. We own a house now on the Florida Gulf Coast, which is supposed to get a fair amount of rain from this storm tomorrow, but as you say, it appears to be moving to the west now, toward Louisiana and maybe Galveston, TX. Hopefully it will not impact you too much in New Orleans....please keep us posted on how things develop there.

SRP (Salt River Project), my local government-owned utility company, showed that for Monday July 8, 2019, I used 23 kWh during the off-peak period and 5 kWh during the on-peak period of 2PM-8PM. The average temperature over 24 hours was 91F (33C).

I looked up last year's data for similarly hot days. Found I burned 41 kWh off-peak, and 26 kWh on-peak. It was 67 kWh total compared to the 28 kWh now.

The DIY solar/battery storage system plus the new auxiliary mini-split have been halving my electricity usage. Moneywise, it should cut the bill more than 1/2, because much of the saved kWhs is during the peak hours where electricity cost is 3x of that during off-peak.

Last edited:
Today was absolutely terrible, high of 78°, a few high fluffy clouds and sunny. We ate outside tonight and it was horrible, no bugs or critters.

The next couple days are hot, 86°, 87°. Maybe the time to turn on the AC for an hour or two to say it still works. Then it looks like boring summer, low of 50° highs of 80° and sunny for the next two weeks.

CRAZY weather!

Early this morning, after just 4 hours' sleep, I was awakened by the most severe thunderstorm of my life, bar none. I mean seriously! This was worse than some hurricanes I have been through. I never have heard thunder that loud and close.

So I came out to the den, checked online and found out we were under a severe thunderstorm warning and a tornado warning and a flash flood warning and over 400 lightning strikes in 15 minutes right near me. All warnings,not watches, ugh. Turned on the TV and their weather map was all red, and they said the worst of it was right exactly precisely where I am. The weatherman actually drew a small circle on the map and might as well have said,"here's exactly where W2R's house is" but instead said "here's where the rotation is".Oh goodie. No wonder the thunder was so loud! There was a waterspout that moved from LakePonchartrain right towards our neighborhood (which is close to the lake) and there were some fears that it remained a tornado after coming ashore and could have caused extensive damage (but no, it didn't). Until things calmed down I stayed away from windows and all that. We got over 5" of rain in an hour. What a deluge.

According to the TV this was not part of future TS Barry or Hurricane Barry. But according to the blog of a very experienced (but retired) TV weatherman that I follow, yes it was, this was the far outer bands.

The storm seems to be over now, and things are returning to normal. My lawn guy is actually out there mowing as I type! Talk about dedication to one's job, whew. There is extensive flooding around town, but our block doesn't tend to flood. This afternoon I have an important appointment with the knee surgeon so hopefully the storms will stay away so that I can get there.

The storm seems to be over now, and things are returning to normal. My lawn guy is actually out there mowing as I type! Talk about dedication to one's job, whew. There is extensive flooding around town, but our block doesn't tend to flood. This afternoon I have an important appointment with the knee surgeon so hopefully the storms will stay away so that I can get there.

I know this is an important Dr appointment but it is not worth driving thru flooded roads. If there is water all the way across a road don't go thru it. Leave early, drive safe and good luck.

We had the storm pass thru our area yesterday . The thunder was intense and the rain lasted most of the day .

I know this is an important Dr appointment but it is not worth driving thru flooded roads. If there is water all the way across a road don't go thru it. Leave early, drive safe and good luck.

Thanks. I promise we'll be very cautious and "turn around, don't drown" as the public service announcement urges. Luckily the doctor's office is less than 2 miles away so we won't have far to go.

Here's a link showing what we were going through earlier today:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...-orleans-as-much-more-rainfall-looms/70008778

We had the storm pass thru our area yesterday . The thunder was intense and the rain lasted most of the day .

Unfortunately I know. Ate at Yoder's Amish restaurant yesterday.

Thanks. I promise we'll be very cautious and "turn around, don't drown" as the public service announcement urges. Luckily the doctor's office is less than 2 miles away so we won't have far to go...

Two miles is a swimmable distance anyway. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom