This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
LRDave and Neihn, thanks for worrying about us. We think or hope that we'll be fine this time. Maybe we're "whistling in the dark"? Hope not.

But really, the drainage canals are pumped way down, in preparation for the storm. That's a very good thing to see.

The city has not called for any voluntary or involuntary evacuation at this point.

Storm surge predictions have dropped by a foot, and the river is no longer expected to overtop the levees.

It hasn't rained all day. So far today we have had nothing as bad from Barry as that awful rain and thunder that Moemg got.

F and I live next door to one another in 54 year old homes that have never flooded since they were built. Of course there's always a first time....;) I do hear thunder way off in the distance.

I expect that TS Barry is going to be pretty spectacular but right now we are planning to just wait it out. Here's a radar map. We are located exactly where that dot is indicating New Orleans, on the South Shore of Lake Ponchartrain.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 170
... F and I live next door to one another in 54 year old homes that have never flooded since they were built. Of course there's always a first time....;) I do hear thunder way off in the distance.

Just an excuse for me to post the following song:

Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear that thunder?
You better run, you better take cover

Still no rain here, in contrast to the dire predictions on the national news. Maybe later?

Well, I say no rain at all but that is not quite correct. Apparently in the past 24 hours it rained 1/10th of an inch, at around 8 AM. I slept right through it.

Anyway, all is well here, thus far. We are still hunkering down since it might just be a brief delay before the deluge.

We are prepared and there is nothing further to do except relax and keep an eye on TS Barry. :popcorn:

Still no rain here, in contrast to the dire predictions on the national news. Maybe later?

Well, I say no rain at all but that is not quite correct. Apparently in the past 24 hours it rained 1/10th of an inch, at around 8 AM. I slept right through it.

Anyway, all is well here, thus far. We are still hunkering down since it might just be a brief delay before the deluge.

We are prepared and there is nothing further to do except relax and keep an eye on TS Barry. :popcorn:
Thanks for the update, and very good to hear you're safe, sound ... and dry. :greetings10:

Reactions: W2R
Stay safe W2R. Sounds like it could pass to the west of you, but depends how far reaching the right side of the storm is.

The center might possibly be in the process of relocating further south, which would be good news for us. But we don't know that quite yet.

Of more concern is that forward motion is nearly stalled (over warm waters) so presently it is thought to be sitting out there busily intensifying into a hurricane.

But will it be our hurricane, or somebody else's? Who knows. It's just so hard to get all worked up over this storm when the weather is fairly normal like it has been thus far. Watching and waiting.... :popcorn:

Just hang on, W2R.

Tropical rain bands are really hard to predict. The center of the storm is one thing, but the way the bands set up is quite another. I agree with your experts, what you saw the other day was the influence of proto-Barry, even if it wasn't the actual official storm yet.

When Florence hit NC last year, there were a few counties that got a "training" rain band that lasted over 3 days. Hence, a 34 inch total at Swansboro. Just unbelievable. 50 miles NNE, they got less than 10.

Hopefully, Barry won't do any of this training rain band business.

I expect that TS Barry is going to be pretty spectacular but right now we are planning to just wait it out. Here's a radar map. We are located exactly where that dot is indicating New Orleans, on the South Shore of Lake Ponchartrain.

Sounds like good plan. Especially no history of flooding at your houses.
Wish you luck.
BTW many years ago I rode my motorcycle across the Ponchartrain's bridge.

Thanks, everybody.

It's still not raining much, if any, although we are getting gusty winds now.

F went out to buy take-out for lunch and bring it over here. Businesses are still open although many are planning to close early tonight. F doesn't have to go to his part time "fun job" tonight.

Here's a pic taken near the entry to the Causeway bridge (the one that Ls99 rode across years ago). This was taken maybe 5 minutes ago from one of the Causeway webcams and about 1/2 mile from my house. As you can see there really isn't much rain here (yet?).

The weather dude on TV just said heavy rains will start late tonight.

Attachments

• snap_c1.jpg
    snap_c1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 18
Here we go....looking at this radar, I'm thinking we may not be waiting much longer.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 19
Here we go....looking at this radar, I'm thinking we may not be waiting much longer.

Yeah, I think it's safe to put away the lawn sprinkler for the next few days.:)

Seriously, I do hope all goes well for you and F down there.

Also watching - even though it's been 14 years since NOLA. Even my friends ended up in the surrounding areas - Bay St Louis, Bush, Carriere.

heh heh heh - The Bonnie Carrie Spillway has been open for a while so my old stomping grounds in da swamp might be a tad wet. At least they haven't opened the Morganza - yet. Got my fingers crossed for ya. :flowers:

Also watching - even though it's been 14 years since NOLA. Even my friends ended up in the surrounding areas - Bay St Louis, Bush, Carriere.

heh heh heh - The Bonnie Carrie Spillway has been open for a while so my old stomping grounds in da swamp might be a tad wet. At least they haven't opened the Morganza - yet. Got my fingers crossed for ya. :flowers:

They said that they aren't going to open the Morganza for this one, and that even if they changed their minds and did that immediately, by now it would take too long for it to lower the river levels. There hasn't been a significant rise in the river yet so maybe that was a good call.

It started raining here and the gusty winds are kicking up a bit more.

Yeah, I think it's safe to put away the lawn sprinkler for the next few days.:)

Seriously, I do hope all goes well for you and F down there.

Thanks! We're fine. He just brought me a take-out Caesar salad and also a po'boy for himself, and we enjoyed a late lunch (or early dinner?). Then he walked home during a break in the rain. It's nice that our houses are only about 20 feet apart.

Barry is intensifying and becoming more organized, and some nasty bands are forming that may threaten us. We'll see.

Hunker down and stay safe, W2R!

Definitely, lots of hunkering going on here.... :D Actually I just don't have the energy to do anything else right now. I have the TV on, with live 'round the clock coverage of Barry. I took a nap earlier since I'll probably be up much of the night.

How is it going W2R?
Please update us when you can.

Looking at the weather channel right now and it doesn't look too bad in New Orleans. Some power outages. Lots of rain to come tho and it's a slow moving storm. Here in east central MS 5-8" of rain is in the forecast. We need it tho.

Dawg52 is right - - oddly, it's not even raining here right now and the sun is shining off and on. We have had less than half an inch of rain so far today, although we are told to expect rain at the rate of several inches per hour, later on today, and then that should be slacking off tomorrow. Or sometime.

Mississippi and Alabama are really getting clobbered though. Looking at the weather map, I see red, intense storms training over that area so I hope they are doing OK. Also there are parts of SE Louisiana down south by the Gulf that are not behind any levee protection system (like, Montagut and Chauvin down south of Houma, Louisiana) and they are getting some bad flooding but then they always do and expect it. Few people live there.

Our PFTD is to stay here at home and hope for the best. Even last night they were telling us that we'd get strong storms all night and many inches of rain, but we didn't. Honestly I think that both the effects of TS Barry, and what areas would be impacted, have been very difficult to predict. We still have 24/7 coverage on all TV channels so I am watching that while reading the forum.

Oops, I should have said Hurricane Barry - - it was just declared to be a Category 1 hurricane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom