This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still low 90's in FLA.
DGF now gets cold at 60 degrees. I guess we are retired now.

a friend in colorado sent yesterday's forecast graphic over.

Attachments

• snow and fire.jpg
    snow and fire.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 40
Dtail,
I have a Florida townhome waiting for me.
If things go as planned, I should be there by early November.
Save me some of the warm weather.

Are you there year round? I notice rain every day down there now. The rainy season?

JP
Still low 90's in FLA.
DGF now gets cold at 60 degrees. I guess we are retired now.

Dtail,
I have a Florida townhome waiting for me.
If things go as planned, I should be there by early November.
Save me some of the warm weather.

Are you there year round? I notice rain every day down there now. The rainy season?

JP

Yes, I am there year round. I live in Tampa. The rainy season is June through September. I would say that in my area, it rains about 4 days a week in June/July and 6 days a week in Aug/Sept.
The rain output from Oct through May is much much less and it could go 2 weeks without a drop.

You will love the weather in Nov.
Again by me, there are on average only 30 days a year where the temperature does not reach a high of 70 degrees.

Yes, I am there year round. I live in Tampa. The rainy season is June through September. I would say that in my area, it rains about 4 days a week in June/July and 6 days a week in Aug/Sept.
The rain output from Oct through May is much much less and it could go 2 weeks without a drop.

You will love the weather in Nov.
Again by me, there are on average only 30 days a year where the temperature does not reach a high of 70 degrees.

Our house is an hour or so north of Tampa, and we snowbird there from about Nov. thru March each winter. As you say, Dtail, the weather is generally very nice during the winter months, and fairly dry. Cold fronts roll through now and then, but they typically don't last long, and the temp. bounces right back up within a day or two. JP, you will really enjoy it down there this winter, I am guessing - I know we do. We live in northern Michigan from April thru October, so our summer home area and our snowbird schedule is similar to what you plan to do.

Looks like the weather is beginning to cooperate with firefighters (less wind, more humidity, rain in the forecast), at least in the suburbs of Portland, Oregon. My DD lives there so I have been so [-]concerned[/-] freaked out and worried about her, but now it looks like firefighters have been able to beat back the largest fire near her at least to some extent. So even though the fires are still raging elsewhere, this one fire seems to be almost under control. What a relief (for me).

But this is a "This weather is awful!" thread. So, to get back on topic, it looks like Tropical Depression 19 is forecast to become a hurricane (Hurricane Sally?) and head right for New Orleans, where I live, arriving around Tuesday.

This year has been so insane! 2020, give us a BREAK. :LOL:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    491.2 KB · Views: 12
Yes, the cooler weather and decreased wind have helped.
The air quality is horrible. Hopefully, the rain will arrive and help clear the smoke and help with the fires. Although, the Sherriff and fire dept expect the fires to burn in some areas for months.
Being on edge for a few days, at level two "be ready(1)/set(2)/go now!(3)".

Looks like the weather is beginning to cooperate with firefighters (less wind, more humidity, rain in the forecast), at least in the suburbs of Portland, Oregon. My DD lives there so I have been so [-]concerned[/-] freaked out and worried about her, but now it looks like firefighters have been able to beat back the largest fire near her at least to some extent. So even though the fires are still raging elsewhere, this one fire seems to be almost under control. What a relief (for me).

But this is a "This weather is awful!" thread. So, to get back on topic, it looks like Tropical Depression 19 is forecast to become a hurricane (Hurricane Sally?) and head right for New Orleans, where I live, arriving around Tuesday.

This year has been so insane! 2020, give us a BREAK. :LOL:

We could use the rain here in Houston, but not as much as Sally will probably hand out to you in N.O. :LOL:

We could use the rain here in Houston, but not as much as Sally will probably hand out to you in N.O. :LOL:

It's overcast and raining here right now! Nice, let's get the ground thoroughly saturated and unable to absorb one more drop, right before a hurricane hits. :rolleyes:

:LOL: :2funny:

Luckily our homes haven't flooded in the 55 years since they were built so we are probably OK from that standpoint.

Yes, the cooler weather and decreased wind have helped.
The air quality is horrible. Hopefully, the rain will arrive and help clear the smoke and help with the fires. Although, the Sherriff and fire dept expect the fires to burn in some areas for months.
Being on edge for a few days, at level two "be ready(1)/set(2)/go now!(3)".
My DD has lung issues so this air quality has been utterly hideous for her. Luckily, due to these lung issues she already has an air purifier that helps at least a little bit, and she is staying inside.

Level two must be so unnerving and frightening! I hope you don't have to evacuate.

Here comes Sally. Expected to reach hurricane strength. Stay safe y’all!

Attachments

• D356BC03-7671-4276-8678-D725F54C8A71.png
    D356BC03-7671-4276-8678-D725F54C8A71.png
    108.1 KB · Views: 43
Yup! We are under a Hurricane Watch already, and it's not even a hurricane yet. I hate this. When is 2020 going to relent? I'm ready for some good news for a change.

:eek:

Yes, third hurricane in as many months. Ugh.

We have been in the cone of probable impact for SEVEN hurricanes this season! It's ridiculous. The post you responded to is an old one, but once again we have a hurricane warning posted. :(

Yesterday the high for S Arizona was 85, now a little past 1pm and it's 37 with over .5 inch of snow. Cut the rattlesnake, bear season short. All is not lost we will survive.

snow sparkling.jpg

We have been in the cone of probable impact for SEVEN hurricanes this season! It's ridiculous.

You must be feeling like there's a target painted on your forehead. Or at least the city.

You must be feeling like there's a target painted on your forehead. Or at least the city.

Sure seems like it sometimes. :) Anyway after preparing seven times, we are pretty sure we are all set this time. :D

Frank and I were just now talking about what life will be like once 2020 is behind us, and things settle down a bit. We are looking forward to a more normal existence at some point, and thinking about what we'd rather be doing. Who knows? We might even go on a vacation or something totally wild like that. :LOL:

This Nor'easter will be the first true winter storm since I fully retired in May 2019. I'm genuinely excited. Having grown up in the SF Bay Area, any snow was a rare delight. We moved to central PA in the beginning of 1999. It took us a short time to realize we could see a ski resort from our house. Even with significant shoveling, I've enjoyed the snow. DS has a lift ticket reservation for Friday, and has taken the day off of work.

I'm happy for any snow where I don't have to dig out at 5 AM to go to work. And DS is working from home in a basement office. I love retirement!

I love retirement!

Oh yeah, snow is fun when you're in elementary school or retired. We're forecast for a foot, give or take a bit. DW has the fixin's for chili-making tomorrow and we have no plans other than to fire up the snow blower and play in the snow as the mood strikes us. And watch all those unfortunate souls scraping ice and snow off their cars in the early AM and then depart for work. Yuck!

This Nor'easter will be the first true winter storm since I fully retired in May 2019. I'm genuinely excited. Having grown up in the SF Bay Area, any snow was a rare delight. We moved to central PA in the beginning of 1999. It took us a short time to realize we could see a ski resort from our house. Even with significant shoveling, I've enjoyed the snow. DS has a lift ticket reservation for Friday, and has taken the day off of work.

I'm happy for any snow where I don't have to dig out at 5 AM to go to work. And DS is working from home in a basement office. I love retirement!

Enjoy.
we still like the snow as well and even though we live in NH neither one of us skis.:LOL: DW used to do a lot of down hill skiing in her youth but we just never took it up since.
We do love to hike and snowshoe and get plenty of that in.

Enjoy. We grew up to the north of where you are and it looks like you're going to have fun. I remember growing up with some really good winter storms.

About 1972 we lived in a rural farming area and it was a great snowy winter. Early in the year someone killed a doe, probably in buck season, about a mile from our house. At the time we had a Brittany named Judd who loved to run. It was a great place for a dog to run miles of trails and fields to roam through. My parents spent that winter in Florida and my big sister supervised me. My parents were due back the end of February, rains started a week before and melted all the snow. One morning I woke up to see all that deer's bones littered across the yard.

Seems Judd found that deer and brought it to my parents back yard piece by piece where it had been covered by snow all winter. DS insisted I clean up all the deer before DM came home..... I probably appreciate her wisdom more today.

We had about 10" our last storms but it looks sunny and dry for a while. Enjoy your [emoji1662].

Last edited:
Enjoy. We grew up to the north of where you are and it looks like you're going to have fun. I remember growing up with some really good winter storms.

About 1972 we lived in a rural farming area and it was a great snowy winter. Early in the year someone killed a doe, probably in buck season, about a mile from our house. At the time we had a Brittany named Judd who loved to run. It was a great place for a dog to run miles of trails and fields to roam through. My parents spent that winter in Florida and my big sister supervised me. My parents were due back the end of February, rains started a week before and melted all the snow. One morning I woke up to see all that deer's bones littered across the yard.

Seems Judd found that deer and brought it to my parents back yard piece by piece where it had been covered by snow all winter. DS insisted I clean up all the deer before DM came home..... I probably appreciate her wisdom more today.

We had about 10" our last storms but it looks sunny and dry for a while. Enjoy your [emoji1662].
Our current dog did the same thing one winter. Very proudly coming up the back steps with the hind quarter of deer that some coyotes must have done in.

I may enjoy snow more when I finally retire, but right now it's a pain in the azz ! It is currently snowing here in NW Ohio, but only an inch or two forecasted...much more to the East of us.

I will be looking for a snow cab for my John Deere 318, because I do enjoy plowing, but not with the cold wind in my face.

So far the big winter storm of SW PA....... about 1/4" of snow on the grass. Having prepared my snowblower seems to be working.
Edit add, local time 18:10 hrs., now up to a whopping 1" and change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom