This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 78F right now in New Orleans with a light breeze. No snow, obviously. But I am trying not to "crow" about it, because next August and September we'll have our frightfully hot weather and hurricane season back and I'll be posting on this thread about that. Meanwhile, today I'll guiltily enjoy this shorts-n-sandals weather.

Take care, you all, and take a page out of Beowulf's book and hire out that snow shoveling if you think you are old enough to make that advisable.

Prediction was 6" of snow for today for SW PA, so far maybe 0.6 of dusting.

I guess it depends on where you measure. On the deck out back there was every bit of 4", but on the driveway it'd be pushing the envelope to say 3". It's the heavier wet stuff, but not slushy, perfect snowballing snow. Anyway, I cleared all that and DW insisted on going out earlier and doing the sidewalk. I'm not sure why we bothered, we're not going anywhere!

It seems our totals will be closer to the lower forecast range. It has been snowing since around 7AM but so far only about 2 inches. Forecasted totals for our area have dropped from a top of 12 inches to now 4-5 inches.

The weather pattern in recent years seems to move the big snows south of us into Northern Illinois and along the state line, but you guys along Lake Michigan enjoy that Lake Effect.

Glad it was mild for you (assuming that is what you wanted!). Yes, we got plenty of lake effect. Well over a foot, and still coming down, but largely tapering off. And, like you, drifting distributes this very unevenly.

Check out the overhang on the far corner of the garage. And this was at 11 am!

Attachments

• 63380628287__AC9FF595-A0AF-47FE-9583-8CF0FF757372.jpg
    63380628287__AC9FF595-A0AF-47FE-9583-8CF0FF757372.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Glad it was mild for you (assuming that is what you wanted!). Yes, we got plenty of lake effect. Well over a foot, and still coming down, but largely tapering off. And, like you, drifting distributes this very unevenly.

Check out the overhang on the far corner of the garage. And this was at 11 am!

We're getting a little light snow now again, but NWS says to expect less than an inch. Certainly the wind has died down.

The lake can do some crazy things to snowfall when the wind is coming out of the east, that's for sure. :)

I had to cut through some 14-16 inch drifts with my snowblower, but other stretches in the driveway were scoured nearly clean. I'm deep in the country with nothing to block the wind. A buddy who also lives in an old farmhouse says "it's like heating a corn crib."

Weather.com and weather.gov don't give snow drift estimates. I'd personally like to know. NYC could get 16" on top of this, which in my estimation would bring this drift damn high.

Attachments

• snow-court.jpg
    snow-court.jpg
    1,021.9 KB · Views: 32
What a letdown!

All that hype over the snow that never was. Well, we got a little bit of snow, but not enough by any means to earn the label of "storm". The only place using a snowblower was really warranted was at the hard-packed EOD (end of driveway) pile that the plow always leaves. That would have been tough with a shovel.

What a yawn.

What a letdown!

All that hype over the snow that never was. Well, we got a little bit of snow, but not enough by any means to earn the label of "storm". The only place using a snowblower was really warranted was at the hard-packed EOD (end of driveway) pile that the plow always leaves. That would have been tough with a shovel.

What a yawn.

Well, weather is a huge money maker for the news folks. Hence the headlines we see these days,

"100 MILLION PEOPLE TO BE AFFECTED BY WINTER STORM DUD"

(and of course, on the Weather Channel is still doing this idiotic naming of winter storms). :)

Well, weather is a huge money maker for the news folks. Hence the headlines we see these days,

(and of course, on the Weather Channel is still doing this idiotic naming of winter storms). :)

Same 4 day long hyperbolic drivel in SW PA. The roads here have been bare the whole time.

The Weather Blather Bloviators struck again.

And, hence the hyperbole over events that happen EVERY winter (and spring and summer and fall). Is anybody over 30 really shocked that there are occasional snowstorms in the winter?

Is the Weather Channel even relevant any more? I removed their app about a year ago because it was nothing but an ad server punctuated by "the sky is falling" reporting of not unusual weather events.

What a letdown!

What a yawn.

You KNOW that was because you had your new snowblower all ready to work on it! If you had just let it break down, the storm would have produced the deepest snow in West Virginia history. :D

Who knew it could actually snow in the Northeast in winter :LOL:

We had between 8 -10 inches here in the western Chicago burbs over the weekend. On top of the 4-5 inches we received last Tuesday. Heavy wet snow, my medium sized snow blower struggled with it. More supposedly coming later this week. Then frigid temps next weekend. I guess winter now starts in late January around here. Hopefully it will end by April.

I know some in NJ that got 28 inches with snow drifts making it much higher.

I guess my +6" 30 miles north of Mexico will be called "unbelievable".

IMG_20210126_074106654.jpg

Morning temps in the 30's the next few days in FLA, then 80 high on Saturday.

Snow forecast here - above the 11,000 ft level. It's gonna be really cold the next few nights - low as 60 deg. F. That's when the comforter comes out to go over the sheet. YMMV

Arrived at my AL condo yesterday and the temps were in the high 40's with a strong wind coming off the bay I live on. It felt like 30 degrees. Hope the winds stay down today. May get to ride my bike later today if it does. Warmer as the week moves on.

What a letdown!

What a yawn.

Interesting. I'm only about 20-30 miles from you, and we got some fairly significant snow. It was spread out over 3 days, but I'd estimate we got at least 10". It just stopped within the past hour. We had some major ice dams on our roof, and I used the snow blower twice and shoveled a few times in the interim. It wasn't a storm that I would worry about, but it definitely warranted virtually closing the virtual schools. The major road nearby (Rt 7) is wet but clear, but the back roads are slushy/icy depending on the time of day.

Finally got a whopping 2.5 inches in SW PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom