This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
75 degrees here in NC. Played golf today in shorts and short sleeve golf shirt. I don't ever remember having such warm weather this time of year but I am enjoying it.

I'm sure it's part of the script she follows. She obviously has no idea nor does she care. She's just glad to have a (thankless) j*b. Maybe she also gets a discount from PG&E. YMMV

+1

The telephonists are the 1st line of defense at a company. They are like the grunt soldiers, put there at the front to be run over by the enemy tanks.

I would not give them a hard time.

By the way, when I had a momentary outage some time ago, when I called the service number to report, the computer played a message saying they knew about it already, and were working on it. Nowadays, with automated monitoring equipment the utility knows which area is down without the customers having to report it, unless the outage is very localized.

Last edited:
I've been that one or two houses that are on a side feeder, so I always call. They are great though, I have flagged them down to let them know in the past and they get right on it. We are in the trees and the main run goes down, and the neighbor and I are on our own 200' long run of primary wire to our shared transformer. Often it will have a branch across it too.

Lotsa rain here in the central valley, just what we need. Gonna rain for another week too. Delta is getting a good fresh water flush. Should make the fish frisky!

Warm again here today (80 F). Everything is starting to bloom again! What??

Anyway, I'm playing golf tomorrow as this weather is supposed to be like this all week.

It was almost 70 degrees in North Alabama at dark and raining cats and dogs. We don't see many thunderstorms the end of December.

It's 50 degrees and rainy here in the SF bay area, like it's been for the last week or so. Can't wait to see the updated drought monitor map tomorrow. Hopefully it will show a lot less of the dreaded "exceptional drought" that was spreading over the western US.

-10 light breeze and full sun. I just got in from starting ranch truck and pulled it into garage. I will head to ranch tomorrow for the day and get a few things done there.

Cool and cloudy today with a few valley showers. Supposed to rain but doesn't really look like rain. I feel sorry for the tourists. Of course, to most of them, 74 degrees is warm. If any place is sunny, it will be Waikiki. For some reason, the clouds seem to dissipate over the beach. It's as if there is some unwritten understanding between the weather and the tourism industry. YMMV

Warm again here today (80 F). Everything is starting to bloom again! What??
The Bermuda grass should be mostly dormant by now here in Central Texas. Except it isn't with the relatively warm nights, and disease patches are showing up everywhere in the neighborhood lawns. Ours is fairing better than most.

Our Salvia (Mystic Spires Blue) perennials should be losing some leaves (which they have) and not sending out new growth. Nope. A whole lot of new growth at the base of the plants, perfectly set up to get fried during any extended cold snap.

The Bermuda grass should be mostly dormant by now here in Central Texas. Except it isn't with the relatively warm nights, and disease patches are showing up everywhere in the neighborhood lawns. Ours is fairing better than most.

Our Salvia (Mystic Spires Blue) perennials should be losing some leaves (which they have) and not sending out new growth. Nope. A whole lot of new growth at the base of the plants, perfectly set up to get fried during any extended cold snap.

Our St. Augustine grass is growing slowly and weeds are popping up everywhere. My Canna Lillie's are still throwing flowers as are the knock out roses.

A few years ago, Texas had a drought. After a few torrential rains, and maybe a hurricane too, there was no more drought as all the reservoirs got refilled. Totally amazing!

A few years ago, Texas had a drought. After a few torrential rains, and maybe a hurricane too, there was no more drought as all the reservoirs got refilled. Totally amazing!

Yes that drought lasted the whole summer and the state lost millions of trees. And there were fires too.

Then in 2017 (September) we had Storm Harvey hit us and drop 53" of rain....:blush:

Yes that drought lasted the whole summer and the state lost millions of trees. And there were fires too.

Then in 2017 (September) we had Storm Harvey hit us and drop 53" of rain....:blush:

I have friends who lost their new house to Harvey. Truly a sad story. Mother Nature gives and she takes away. YMMV

I have friends who lost their new house to Harvey. Truly a sad story. Mother Nature gives and she takes away. YMMV

This place was a sight to see. My DW was downtown in the Houston Medical Center and just had a heart valve replaced the day before Harvey hit. Since access to downtown and the Medical Center was cut off, she was stuck on the 11th floor the hospital for 6 days. :facepalm:

All roads and freeways into town were under water. You literally could not go anywhere in this town of 5 million people.

A mixed day, few more inches last night and we saw the sun! It's not gone simply hiding because we've been in the clouds since before Christmas. Local guy says we're getting another 12-18 inches before new years eve.

After yesterday's whoopsie getting the snowplow stuck in our neighborhood they sent in the road grader all chained up. I passed him as I was leaving to run some errands. When I came back with groceries and McDonalds he'd plowed 3-4 feet of chunky crapola in the end of the driveway. Sweet! After we ate I went out to blow it open when 4 neighbors came by with two more snowblowers and shovels. They'd all been plowed in too. Didn't take very long.

This place was a sight to see. My DW was downtown in the Houston Medical Center and just had a heart valve replaced the day before Harvey hit. Since access to downtown and the Medical Center was cut off, she was stuck on the 11th floor the hospital for 6 days. :facepalm:

All roads and freeways into town were under water. You literally could not go anywhere in this town of 5 million people.

The rest of my friends' sad story is that they rebuilt - only to be flooded out again (forget which Houston flood that was.) Then he got cancer and passed just this year in late 60's. He had followed a j*b down to Houston - his position at his Megacorp disappeared but was available in Houston. At 61, he could have ER'd but did not believe he could make it. Truly a tragic period for them. YMMV

Fresh fluffy snow and more coming. Weber for scale. Unfortunately the snow is packing down so a Weber inch isn't an inch of snow.

A couple years ago we had somewhere around 10-12 feet of snow and it never got over our 4 foot fence. 20211230_075129~3.jpg

The thunderstorms rolled thru N Jawja last evening with a lot of noise but not so much rain here as in some places. We were under a tornado watch but it never got really bad winds either thank goodness. 68 degrees now it is supposed to be in the 20's for a low Saturday night into Sunday morning and all next week. Truly like that old saying "don't like this weather, wait an hour"

The rest of my friends' sad story is that they rebuilt - only to be flooded out again (forget which Houston flood that was.) Then he got cancer and passed just this year in late 60's. He had followed a j*b down to Houston - his position at his Megacorp disappeared but was available in Houston. At 61, he could have ER'd but did not believe he could make it. Truly a tragic period for them. YMMV

Yes, that is a sad story. It's one thing to handle the mess from the floods when we have them, but passing in the 60's is tragic. I recently lost a good friend of mine who still lived in Connecticut where I was from, but he went at 75.

A bit of freezing rain, on top of the snow, this morning, warming up above 35 today.
Some possible snow again tonight if it gets to the low 20's, otherwise, I think we are out of this for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom