This weather is awful - 2022 to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are baking at 100 which is over the norm for Reno this time of year. Going to a 5pm outdoor wedding on Saturday. Ugh!
It only got up to 97F here, but with no rain it still seemed miserably hot! Luckily my AC guy came yesterday, and consequently my AC is once again running beautifully so between that, and the ceiling fan, I was able to keep cool here in the house.

I hope the wedding is short so you and the other guests don't melt. :) Or, maybe they'll rent one of those big fans to cool down the guests.

The reception is also outside. But there’s trees on the property. It’s my stepson or I wouldn’t go.

No named storms in August. First time in 25 years. Only the 3rd time since 1960.
Missed it by less than a day... Danielle was named this morning with winds of 40mph.

No named storms in August. First time in 25 years. Only the 3rd time since 1960.

Hopefully this season will continue to be mild. Let's stay safe.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the central Pacific as well as the Atlantic. Waiting in 2020 for the arrival of Douglas was frightening. Just a few miles one way and it could have been a direct hit instead of a near miss.

Could the silver lining to global climate change be fewer named storms?

Missed it by less than a day... Danielle was named this morning with winds of 40mph.

Tied for 2nd longest streak between named storms of all time. Well it had to end sometime.

Sounds like Danielle is no threat but next one could be.

It's been thunderstorming all day, here in the New Orleans suburbs, with intense rain all day so far, along with flash flood warnings and the whole nine yards. Luckily, we don't have to go anywhere or do anything so let it rain. It's SO nice to be retired on days like this! :D

Officially we already have 1.5", but it's still raining really hard; I wouldn't be surprised if we had several times that much by the time it's over. Great weather for napping.

Here in N Ga. over the weekend Summerville Ga. which is a small town in NW ga had really bad storms come thru dumping 9 to 12 inches in a short period. The town was flooded bad. As of this morning they are still having to drink bottled water and the mayor is still asking sightseers to stay away so the emergency personell can work. This area isn't what you would say really prosperous anyway so this really hurts them.

So crazy--rain and floods on the East, drought, wild fires and excessive heat on the West.
Maybe it could even out a bit sometime:confused:

So crazy--rain and floods on the East, drought, wild fires and excessive heat on the West.
Maybe it could even out a bit sometime:confused:
Glad I live between them, this time. :)

I'll chime in here with some GOOD weather news - here in NJ, in the Greater Megalopolis, we are getting EXACTLY the type of rain we needed, an all day steady, but moderate, soaker. I have missed it so much that I just spent the last 90 minutes on my covered deck, on my chaise lounge, with a book, coffee, and (later) a cat in the lap, enjoying the sound, sight, and smell of rainfall. I could never live in a really dry area. Rain every 3 or 4 days, and some kind of storm once a week, that's what I like!

Still baking at 15-20 degrees above normal. I haven’t been able to walk my dogs at night like I usually do because it’s still 95 at 7pm.

Meanwhile in the dry heat of really south Arizona, we had 7.25" of rain in August. And I have walked the dogs in the morning in the low 60's, high in the afternoons low/mid 80's. We are thankful for that nice Mexican tropical flow and maybe a hit off Hurricane Kay later this week.

I just reminded DH that he hasn't thanked me enough for insisting we install AC (in October 2021) :LOL:. It's 108 here in the SF bay area peninsula where we rarely get into the high 90s. And it's not the hottest time of the day. Yesterday, the temp increased 4 degrees between 2 and 5pm. I'm anticipating rolling blackouts today.

I just put out a bowl of fridge cold water for the neighbor's cat. She appreciated it...

I just reminded DH that he hasn't thanked me enough for insisting we install AC (in October 2021) :LOL:. It's 108 here in the SF bay area peninsula where we rarely get into the high 90s. And it's not the hottest time of the day. Yesterday, the temp increased 4 degrees between 2 and 5pm. I'm anticipating rolling blackouts today.
I really hope you don't get hit by any blackouts since your new AC isn't going to help during such events... That is, unless you have a backup generator too... That's what lot's of us here in Texas have done.

Last edited:
I really hope you don't get hit by any blackouts since your new AC isn't going to help during such events... That is, unless you have a backup generator too... That's what lot's of us here in Texas have done.

PG&E just listed the "blocks" that will have rolling blackouts if needed. We're not on the list. I did a bit more research and reason we're not on the list is our "block" contains critical infrastructure. 2 fire depts within a mile in each direction and hospital about 2 miles away. These rolling blackouts are for 2 hours only. We are still subject to the PSPSs. Many blackouts in the area due to equipment failures; we've been lucky so far. 108 yesterday as well as today.

Bought the second home in Wyoming so that I didn't have to suffer through another DC summer--but I was not expecting a Top 5 All-time heatwave for my locale. Looks like it's finally supposed to break after tomorrow, and it's a dry heat and it gets down into the low 50s overnight, but this is still not quite what I had in mind!

I'd rather go through a Top 5 All-time heatwave in Wyoming than in DC, though. I'm pretty much Frosty the Snowman in the greenhouse from July through September in DC. Glad to see the mid Atlantic has gotten so much moisture this summer, at least. My garden won't have died.

Bought the second home in Wyoming so that I didn't have to suffer through another DC summer--but I was not expecting a Top 5 All-time heatwave for my locale. Looks like it's finally supposed to break after tomorrow, and it's a dry heat and it gets down into the low 50s overnight, but this is still not quite what I had in mind!

I'd rather go through a Top 5 All-time heatwave in Wyoming than in DC, though. I'm pretty much Frosty the Snowman in the greenhouse from July through September in DC. Glad to see the mid Atlantic has gotten so much moisture this summer, at least. My garden won't have died.

You are finding out what the hottest summers in Wyoming will be, which is good. No surprises later on! Sounds like you are tolerating it pretty well for a Top 5 All-time heatwave. Probably a lot more bearable than DC during summers like that.

We've had the weirdest summer here in Louisiana. It was over 100 almost every day in June and early July, but now that we are in the (usually) hotter month of September, it's not so bad. We had a high of 86 today. Lots of rain but so far no hurricanes or tropical storms to worry about, which is unusual too.

Got to 107 today, not going away until the weekend.

Calling for frost for the next few nights/mornings temps. Been upper 80's to low 90's here for a couple weeks now. Doesn't really feel all that bad since a dry heat with little humidity. The one thing it doesn't hit the 90's till 3 to 4 o'clock than starts down again with over nights in 40's and 50's.

Our AC hasn't come on, but a half dozen times so far. If it does it is after 4 o'clock in the afternoon. We open up the windows every night and don't close them till about 10 o'clock AM.

Weather has been bad for us with lack of rain. No measurable amount for about 8 weeks now.

Last edited:
DC weather seems very mild to us. But we grew up in Texas (DFW) and thought we had great weather there too.

DC weather seems very mild to us. But we grew up in Texas (DFW) and thought we had great weather there too.
I just cannot deal with the DC humidity in summer. Walking out my front door and being immediately drenched is just not my thing. And even the evenings can still be pretty soupy--in my spot in the city the overnight temps can go weeks without getting under 70.

That said, it has seemed like August the last few years has been less oppressive than it was maybe a decade ago. But I still can't stand the humidity.

I also love snow, and that has become pretty hard to come by in downtown DC.

But fall and spring are both magical.

You are finding out what the hottest summers in Wyoming will be, which is good. No surprises later on! Sounds like you are tolerating it pretty well for a Top 5 All-time heatwave. Probably a lot more bearable than DC during summers like that.

We've had the weirdest summer here in Louisiana. It was over 100 almost every day in June and early July, but now that we are in the (usually) hotter month of September, it's not so bad. We had a high of 86 today. Lots of rain but so far no hurricanes or tropical storms to worry about, which is unusual too.
I salute those who make it through Louisiana summers!

Even with a forecast of 103+ today, it still got down to 53 on my patio overnight. If it weren't for the smoke from a distant fire, it would be a great morning for biking. I remember my grandfather getting out the door at sunrise in the summer to ride his horse up into the pasture to move the cattle, then get home, do some things around the barn and yard, and then head inside until the worst of the day's heat was gone.

As Street was saying, the hottest temps arrive pretty late, and then as soon as the sun goes down it starts to cool. This house seems like it is really well insulated. I sleep with the windows open, and that cool air can hang around inside until the AC maybe comes on after 4.

I will be back out here for the first few months of next year, so looking forward to seeing the literal polar opposite of 103 degrees!

Very low humidity - those temps can really drop at night! Makes a huge difference.

Very low humidity is also why temps can climb so much during the day when the sun is out.

Last edited:
I salute those who make it through Louisiana summers!

Even with a forecast of 103+ today, it still got down to 53 on my patio overnight. If it weren't for the smoke from a distant fire, it would be a great morning for biking. I remember my grandfather getting out the door at sunrise in the summer to ride his horse up into the pasture to move the cattle, then get home, do some things around the barn and yard, and then head inside until the worst of the day's heat was gone.

As Street was saying, the hottest temps arrive pretty late, and then as soon as the sun goes down it starts to cool. This house seems like it is really well insulated. I sleep with the windows open, and that cool air can hang around inside until the AC maybe comes on after 4.

I will be back out here for the first few months of next year, so looking forward to seeing the literal polar opposite of 103 degrees!

You mentioned opening the windows. Are you able to use fans to expel warmer air and bring in cool air at night? When we lived in a house in the midwest, we often cooled the house enough at night to avoid the use of AC during the day. Of course, there were times when that wasn't possible as it didn't get cool enough at night. Fans in upper floors can move a fair amount of air, allowing surfaces and internal objects to actually cool. Only issue was that DW occasionally complained that it was too cool at night. Go figure!

You mentioned opening the windows. Are you able to use fans to expel warmer air and bring in cool air at night? When we lived in a house in the midwest, we often cooled the house enough at night to avoid the use of AC during the day. Of course, there were times when that wasn't possible as it didn't get cool enough at night. Fans in upper floors can move a fair amount of air, allowing surfaces and internal objects to actually cool. Only issue was that DW occasionally complained that it was too cool at night. Go figure!

No such thing as too cool at night! That's what big thick comforters are for!

It's a pretty small house, on one floor, so opening windows in the two bedrooms (facing east and west) gets great cross ventilation and the breeze pushes out the warm air pretty quickly. I use a tabletop fan in my room just because I hate trying to sleep in still air. My bedroom faces west, and it takes a while for that side of the house to start heating up just from the sun. (That side does definitely heat up in the late afternoon though!)

I think my grandparents slept with the windows open on all but the coldest nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom