This weather is awful - 2022 to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was 106 in Reno yesterday a new record. We are 20 degrees above normal. By the weekend we will be much cooler. Last night at 6:30 it rained for 10 minutes. That’s enough for it to cool down to 91 with a nice breeze and the dogs and I went for a walk.

I salute those who make it through Louisiana summers!

Even with a forecast of 103+ today, it still got down to 53 on my patio overnight. If it weren't for the smoke from a distant fire, it would be a great morning for biking. I remember my grandfather getting out the door at sunrise in the summer to ride his horse up into the pasture to move the cattle, then get home, do some things around the barn and yard, and then head inside until the worst of the day's heat was gone.

As Street was saying, the hottest temps arrive pretty late, and then as soon as the sun goes down it starts to cool. This house seems like it is really well insulated. I sleep with the windows open, and that cool air can hang around inside until the AC maybe comes on after 4.

I will be back out here for the first few months of next year, so looking forward to seeing the literal polar opposite of 103 degrees!

For example, as I write it is 93 degrees @ 2:33 PM and projected 94/95 high today. Our home is 70 degrees inside, and the AC hasn't come on. I doubt it will we have it set at 77 degrees. In three hours, the temp will start to drop pretty fast and by 8:00 PM we will be able to start opening up for the night. Today is one of the hottest days we have had all summer. It could break some records in a 500-mile radius of us. The humidity is 27% as of right also, so that is a game changer.

Forecast for us is 43-degree low Thursday morning and a high of 73 degrees for Thursday. Friday looks like it will be a high of upper 60's and some frost warns for some of the lows.

Last edited:
Akk,
yellow, smokey, hazy skies today. New, nearby fire, got an emergency warning last night, no evacuation for us yet, but 3 towns over. Very windy yesterday, more expected today but not as bad, 90 expected temp.
We need rain!

Our temperatures are lower but now have smoke from California fires.

Beautiful day here at 62 degrees and a blue bird day, with a 5 mph NW breeze. Was 37 degrees @ 5AM this morning. Wore the long handles yesterday morning and last evening when I was in the back country.

The downside is very dry with no moisture coming in the near future.

Beautiful day here at 62 degrees and a blue bird day, with a 5 mph NW breeze. Was 37 degrees @ 5AM this morning. Wore the long handles yesterday morning and last evening when I was in the back country.

The downside is very dry with no moisture coming in the near future.
Very similar here, though we got a good slug of moisture on Thursday/Friday and so now there is new snow up high on the mountain.

Really terrible air quality in the whole PNW today.

Attachments

• PNW Air Quality.jpg
    PNW Air Quality.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 27
  • PNW Wildfires.jpg
    PNW Wildfires.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Really terrible air quality in the whole PNW today.

Yes, it's been awful the past few days.
But, we got a sprinkling of rain last night! Not much, but enough to wet the dry grass.
No further rain on the horizon though. So unusual.:(

Down here in south Texas we are seeing highs of 90 F and overnight of high 60's F and reasonably low humidity. This is forecast for the next 10 days. Just perfect weather. No rain in sight, but we had about a week of showers and some rainy days.

Time to put the top down on my Mustang.

It's supposed to get back to the mid 70's here by the beach in San Diego in a few days. We have had very hot weather since Labor Day weekend which is not unusual here at this time of year. What has been unusual is the high humidity we have been experiencing. We are 2 miles from the ocean and don't have air conditioning so the fans have been running in our home 24/7 to keep the kitties and us cool.

We are cooler but our air quality is 167. Ugh!!

62 degs this morning here in my part of Texas. :dance: Almost unheard of at this time of the year around here.

Last edited:
I love it! Here in Ga. it went from 90 to 53 faster than a speeder on I75 that had just spotted a GSP trooper! Gonna be like this for next few days low 60's to mid 80's great weather for riding my Venture!

Chilli here in the heartland and (wait for it) the heat wouldn't come on! HVAC company said they need to get a part (oops!)

Chilli here in the heartland and (wait for it) the heat wouldn't come on! HVAC company said they need to get a part (oops!)

Yep, we've had a couple nights already when the outside temperature went down into the mid 50's. I turned on the furnace more to make sure it worked than that we needed the heat since the house was still warm enough.

I do the same thing in the spring with the A/C - don't wait until the temperature is in the 90's to turn on the A/C and then find out it won't work.

We are fortunate to have a wood stove as a back up as well as a gas range which makes quite a difference though it is not an ideal heat source. YMMV

What APP are you using for the air quality info:confused:

I am using air now. Unfortunately we were also smoky today. We are at 267. It’s often worse at night.

I am using air now. Unfortunately we were also smoky today. We are at 267. It’s often worse at night.

Apparently another fire sparked from the first fire. I think there are now three up in the hills.
The wind cleared out the valley today.

That smoke sounds so uncomfortable! I hope it clears up soon.

The NHC has another disturbance for us to keep an eye on, and right now it is headed in our direction, more or less. But so far it seems like conditions may not encourage any tropical development. We'll see. So far this year none of these disturbances that break off of Africa have made it into the Gulf before falling apart or turning north.

It's 68F here right now, the coldest it's been in weeks or maybe months. No rain today and none predicted. Very unusual for New Orleans at this time of year! It's chilly and I think I'll adjust the thermostat upwards before I go to bed.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-14 004652.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-09-14 004652.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 24
Finally having some more normal Fall weather--mid 60's-mid 70's--AC off and windows open--love fresh air!
Still no rain though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom