This weather is awful - 2022 to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, complaining that it's too hot in early spring would be considered a good thing to some, so I'll just write it off to the price of Paradise...

I dunno. :)

Would be more of a paradise to me, if I had an AC, and electricity to run it of course. :cool:

Ran the snowblower this afternoon to clean up the remaining prior snow. It's snowing now and is supposed to for several days. Our local forecast says it will snow all tonight and take a little break before it snows a foot or so. I couldn't tell if the foot was on top of tonight. In the mountains, they are forecasting 1-4 feet. I guess it is all good.

San Joaquin river is above flood stage within 10 miles of here. Not worried, it's done that before.

Gonna be a lot more rain tomorrow and the next day. Hope the levees hold.

San Joaquin river is above flood stage within 10 miles of here. Not worried, it's done that before.

Gonna be a lot more rain tomorrow and the next day. Hope the levees hold.
We have a major river not to far from us too but we have some hilly terrain between us and the river... Never been a problem here but some of the ranchers within a mile or two of the river have to move their cattle out of the floodplain a couple of times each year when the river overflows. PIA for them.

Last edited:
I dunno. :)

Would be more of a paradise to me, if I had an AC, and electricity to run it of course. :cool:

(Theoretically) not allowed in our building - I think primarily because of noise. Having said that, I know of at least two units that have AC (though they are very quiet.)

Realistically, we don't need AC except for the few days per year when the trades die but YMMV.

Hallelujah! Finally after 3 dry months we got some serious rain. 3.5 inches so far!

Getting hammered by another atmospheric river on the West Coast. The creek on the edge of my orchard is running fast and high. Lots of debris getting jammed up under the bridge that crosses the creek.

Only bright side, business is brisk at the rock quarry where I do some part-time work. Truck after truck being loaded full of large rock used to stabilize bare slopes burnt by last Summers forest fires.

Getting hammered by another atmospheric river on the West Coast. The creek on the edge of my orchard is running fast and high. Lots of debris getting jammed up under the bridge that crosses the creek.

Only bright side, business is brisk at the rock quarry where I do some part-time work. Truck after truck being loaded full of large rock used to stabilize bare slopes burnt by last Summers forest fires.

You must be north of us. Dry the last few days here but may rain tonight. The river still runs fast with snowmelt. Must go white water rafting this summer.

Do you think this “atmospheric river” stuff will let up into spring? Is it a winter phenomenon?

ETA: Just read one article saying that “the spigot” is likely to turn off in April.

Last edited:
Do you think this “atmospheric river” stuff will let up into spring? Is it a winter phenomenon?

ETA: Just read one article saying that “the spigot” is likely to turn off in April.

Long time Northern CA resident and remember a couple cycles of this atmospheric river phenomenon starting early January. Both times I remember storms eased up and we dried out in February. I’m a civil engineer and got lots of highway and bridge repair work during the past events. Super fun time because everyone just wants damaged roads and bridges fixed quickly and don’t really care how we get it done!

I’m up in the foothills of Placer County east of Sacramento. Have minor ponding in my orchard, but nothing major.

We got almost nothing and are still in the center of the "Exceptional Drought" bullseye.
I guess you live in one of the ~5 "dry counties" in Texas. :LOL: Actually they are north of your location I think.

Last edited:
I guess you live in one of the ~5 "dry counties" in Texas. :LOL: Actually they are north of your location I think.
It is wet now, but I grew up in a small town in a dry county. Luckily it was only 14 miles to the county line and the only cab driver in town was years ahead of his time and had his own version of DoorDash.

The story goes that after the county went wet many weren't happy. Someone called a guy's mom to report she had seen her son purchasing beer at the grocery. He was 41.

Finally, we appear to be in the clear with regard to a nice long stretch of days with no predicted rain. We recently walked by the large hill landslide in S. Orange County some of you may have heard about, and seeing that pool dangling off overhead was something to see for sure. The walking trail directly underneath is still closed (rightly so!), but it can be easily observed from the beach.

Made me appreciate all over again the strongly worded advice from our realtor to get a geologist report before closing on our home!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-31 7.18.08 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-31 7.18.08 AM.png
    391.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Finally, we appear to be in the clear with regard to a nice long stretch of days with no predicted rain. I live withing a few miles of the large hill side slide in S. Orange County some of you may have heard about, and walking by it (from the distance of the beach, not from the directly-underneath walking trail), and seeing that pool dangling off overhead was something to see for sure.

Made me appreciate all over again the strongly worded advice from our realtor to get a geologist report before closing on our home!

attachment.php
I'll bet those with beach front/hill side property had their property values drop (no pun intended) like a rock. Hopefully they were fully insured.

Last edited:
Though Oahu only got a few showers, Kauai got 5 inches yesterday. A couple of folks drove through flowing water and were swept into areas where they had to be rescued. One dog lost its life due to what could have been even more tragic indeed. Folk that should know better still drive into flowing water. You'd think folks who had experienced the Pacific Ocean would understand the power of moving water.

Still, we dodged a bullet on this latest storm. Raining here again today, but this should be the last of it for the foreseeable future, I believe.

Normally, I love the rain, but this is getting too much of a good thing though YMMV.

We're in a tornado watch and thunderstorm warning. Thunderstorm warning came true. Some hail and heavy rain now. Rained 0.7" in the last 5 minutes. Max intensity 3.90"/hr. Hardly any wind.

The story goes that after the county went wet many weren't happy. Someone called a guy's mom to report she had seen her son purchasing beer at the grocery. He was 41.

So, don’t leave us hanging. What did the mom do, give her permission, ground him for a week, send him to his room?

We're in a tornado watch and thunderstorm warning. Thunderstorm warning came true. Some hail and heavy rain now. Rained 0.7" in the last 5 minutes. Max intensity 3.90"/hr. Hardly any wind.
Same here until 9pm "again"...

Koolau is catching the rain on the normally-dry side of Oahu, while those of us on the windward side are enjoying sunshine. No trades, though, which is what keeps us comfortable. No heating or AC in my neighborhood, but since the temp is always between 70-82, not much to complain about.

Really bad tornados and thunderstorms in a lot of states this afternoon, like Arkansas, Iowa, Illinois, and more. Right now there are 12 active tornado warnings in various states. Some of this bad weather is in northern Louisiana, but none expected this far south. I've been listening to a weather livestreamer on youtube for a while who is following the storm chasers and scanners.

Really bad tornados and thunderstorms in a lot of states this afternoon, like Arkansas, Iowa, Illinois, and more. Right now there are 12 active tornado warnings in various states. Some of this bad weather is in northern Louisiana, but none expected this far south. I've been listening to a weather livestreamer on youtube for a while who is following the storm chasers and scanners.

I've been watching this guy - maybe the same Youtube as you're watching.

I've been watching this guy - maybe the same Youtube as you're watching.

Yep! I listened to him for a while this afternoon, and then started browsing what other livestreamers were providing concerning weather conditions.

Did you hear how bad that tornado was in north Little Rock? Wow. And there's a bad one approaching Covington, TN right now. The little town of Wynne, Arkansas apparently was totally destroyed by another one. Seems like the worst tornado outbreak I have seen in a long time.

We get hurricanes, but generally we don't get giant tornados here in New Orleans. Mostly just small ones embedded in the hurricanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom