This weather is awful - 2022 to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems a little hazy here in northern Illinois. Air quality here 80-90.

Slightly off topic: I was watching some news story on the smoke in the east. One of the talking heads described watching someone remove their mask to smoke a cigarette. I wonder what the equivalent pollution score for cigarette smoke is. Returning you now...

Hot cold water!

After a cooler than usual May, for June we have suddenly switched to really hot summer temps. Yikes some 107s and 106s in the forecast for next week!

We already had some hot days and during the summer days our attic heats up our water pipes. DH measured it - 116 degrees out of the cold water faucet!! So during the day we don’t need our water heater. The water turns cold after running it for a while, but turn if off for a short period and it’s hot again already!

Hot cold water!

After a cooler than usual May, for June we have suddenly switched to really hot summer temps. Yikes some 107s and 106s in the forecast for next week!

We already had some hot days and during the summer days our attic heats up our water pipes. DH measured it - 116 degrees out of the cold water faucet!! So during the day we don’t need our water heater. The water turns cold after running it for a while, but turn if off for a short period and it’s hot again already!

My dad took advantage of this effect by placing a hot-water heater tank in the attic of the family business. For much of the summer, we had "free" hot water at the business. He could drain the tank for winter and isolate it with a couple of valves. Very progressive for the 1950s. (Well, not really because solar hot water heating is quite an old technology - but not much used in the midwest.)

Now it’s predicting 108 on Thursday flanked by 107s, 106s and 105s. :facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_0454.jpeg
    IMG_0454.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 33
This is why I lasted only 6 months in Texas.

High winds (~50mph at times) and heavy rain have been passing through my part of the state for the past 4 or 5 hours. Lot's of lighting and some reports of hail nearby too. No tornadoes but the weather alert radio has gone off at least a dozen times today. Looks like it will be ending in another hour or so. I don't think we have ever got so much rain in one year around here.

Low 40's here tonight. Windows will be all open after an evening of painting kitchen. Still smokey here and has been for months.

3 days for me. But I loved it despite the heat.

I spent 13 years in College Station, Texas, and it was the hottest place I have ever lived in my entire life. But like you, I loved living there despite the heat.

High winds (~50mph at times) and heavy rain have been passing through my part of the state for the past 4 or 5 hours. Lot's of lighting and some reports of hail nearby too. No tornadoes but the weather alert radio has gone off at least a dozen times today. Looks like it will be ending in another hour or so. I don't think we have ever got so much rain in one year around here.
Glad you aren't getting tornados, at least. Hope the weather settles down there and you don't get any damage from the storm. We have had warnings for several days that there was a slight chance we might get what you've been experiencing today. But, it didn't happen here.

I spent 13 years in College Station, Texas, and it was the hottest place I have ever lived in my entire life. But like you, I loved living there despite the heat.

The hottest and most miserable I have ever been was in south Louisiana in August at a drill site. You could have sliced the air with a knife and stack the pieces. It was so miserable (heat + very high humidity) even the snakes were not coming out.

Glad you aren't getting tornados, at least. Hope the weather settles down there and you don't get any damage from the storm. We have had warnings for several days that there was a slight chance we might get what you've been experiencing today. But, it didn't happen here.
All clear now and no damage on my property. There's still about 5% of customers in our electric co-op that are w/o power this morning. It was over 20% last night when I checked during the storms, so they are making progress. I hope everyone gets their power back in the next few hours since it's going to be really hot and humid this afternoon.

"Hats off" to the lineman in the electrical co-op.

Last edited:
Gotta love summers in Minnesota. Yes, I will be turning on my furnace today to take the chill out of the basement.Weather 061123 lores.jpg

I've got GKs in that general area, but still haven't been (heh, heh, they come to us as both sets of their grand parents live in our same town - well, in our case, for maybe 4 months/year.) Also, they move so often for DD's husband's w*rk, that we figured we'll wait until they finally "light" somewhere permanent to go visit. In 10 years, they've moved 4 times!

BUT the kids/GKs don't seem to mind the heat down there.

Gotta love summers in Minnesota. Yes, I will be turning on my furnace today to take the chill out of the basement.View attachment 46243

Same here is Wisconsin. 56 for a high today and 43 for a morning low tomorrow. Today I put on a sweater under my hoodie and had the hood up all day and put slippers on and was still cold but refrained from putting the heat on. Tomorrow morning I don't think I will be able to resist.

99 F and humid at 5:38 PM here in the Houston, TX area.
Yuck!

100 degrees but NOT humid here in the Valley. Makes all the difference.

Well OK it’s already dropped to 96 and still not humid. We get humidity in the morning, but not in the afternoon.

Our serious extended heat wave is supposed to start on Tuesday.

Yuck!

100 degrees but NOT humid here in the Valley. Makes all the difference.

Well OK it’s already dropped to 96 and still not humid. We get humidity in the morning, but not in the afternoon.

Our serious extended heat wave is supposed to start on Tuesday.

We are supposed to get up around 100+ F by the weekend. We'll see.

Same here is Wisconsin. 56 for a high today and 43 for a morning low tomorrow. Today I put on a sweater under my hoodie and had the hood up all day and put slippers on and was still cold but refrained from putting the heat on. Tomorrow morning I don't think I will be able to resist.

Sounds like our weather with some cold rain. I could be back home and count on 80 degree high with 70 degree low. What am I doing here?

Just spent a gorgeous 4 days of cool yet sunny weather while vacationing in Lake Toxaway, NC. Began raining today, the day we left. I love rain but enjoyed the perfect weather during my annual reunion with 9 elementary/middle school friends. Beautiful country. Beautiful weather. Beautiful friends.

Arrive home tomorrow and shall be sunny with a high of 70. Seems the fair weather shall follow me home. Good luck to those where the temperatures are climbing. My your air conditioners and electricity never fail!

We got home Saturday from a week of camping at the lake. We had perfect weather all week with overnight lows in the mid 50's and highs in low 80's with a slight breeze daily. Got up Sunday am to rain an thunder showers off and on all day and more of the same forecast this week. Ohh well it is after all early summer in Ga. don't like the weather wait a little while it will change.

Yeah, I broke down and turned the furnace back on....

Yeah, I broke down and turned the furnace back on....

63 in the house when I woke up this morning but I toughed it out without the furnace. Up to 64 now at 10a. Cold but i'll survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom