Thoughts on TESLA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not be surprised if the plant in China is indeed substantially completed and producing vehicles by Chinese New Year next year.

Tesla will have a very hard time selling mass produced EV's in China unless cost can be drastically cut, like 50% . Just too much competition in the China EV market.

The real value in the plant is producing parts and large sub-assemblies at low cost for shipping to the US plant in Fremont CA.

I have my doubts on the plant construction schedule (it's Feb and no ground has been broken yet) and also the manufacturing build out which entails PLC's, many robots, tons of conveyor equipment, an automated paint line, etc, etc, etc. And Musk says they will build the batteries there too?

I was in manufacturing for many years and built out simple plants compared to a big auto production facility. He's nuts to think all this will be done by 12/19.

I'll bet the steel has not been ordered yet and lead times for lots of steel is generally many months.

While story is not specific to Tesla, it does mention experience with Model 3. So just kind of highlights obstacles that all EV's need to overcome.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/05/tesla-jaguar-and-nissan-evs-lose-power-in-freezing-temps-.html

Having many years of driving experience with gas cars and batteries, I don't think any car battery fares well when it's below 0 F. Even at 20 F, the cranking power is severely diminished on any battery. For that reason, I keep a large 500 amp jumper battery in the warm house. It has been invaluable on many occasions. So I can only imagine, as indicated in the CNBC article, how much range is curtailed on an EV in such conditions. IMHO. having an EV in winter in areas that experience well below freezing temps for long periods of time, is not something I would want to have.

I have my doubts on the plant construction schedule (it's Feb and no ground has been broken yet) ....

Aw c'mon. How long can it take to put up a tent? :)

TSLA is up today. The Maxwell and VW news came out yesterday, not sure what's pushing it today.

-ERD50

I'm beginning to think Elon Musk has 2 or 3 secret identities in this forum. What else could possibly keep this thread going?

Aw c'mon. How long can it take to put up a tent? :)

TSLA is up today. The Maxwell and VW news came out yesterday, not sure what's pushing it today.

-ERD50

The thing about tents is you need a lot of hot air to keep them inflated. Maybe if Musk could put his office in the tent, it would work.:D

I am speculating the initial structures will be the aluminum truss / fabric membrane " Tent" same as the model 3 production line. The modern day "Quonset Hut" on a large scale. And an army of manual assemblers on the line inside initially. Robots later.

Don't know how connected Elon is in China, but if you have Juice, it's just amazing how quick construction can be done. Much of the industry is operated directly or indirectly by the P.L.A.N. *, and you can literally get an army to get your project going . Pun intended.

( * P.L.A.N. Peoples Liberation Army , Navy - the official military in China. )

Tesla did say a software update is available on my Model 3 today, I scheduled it for 2AM. If it is anything relevant I'll report back.

I said I'd report back..The update lets you keep the car and its contents at a temperature you select on the app. (there was about 3 paragraphs of explanation, thats what I recall). You already could remotely turn on the a/c from your phone, thats not new.

Also the charge port was able to handle frozen temperatures better, after the update.

There was other things not weather related.

https://www.wivb.com/news/investiga...aint-grim-picture-of-buffalo-plant/1754568826

In November, Tesla gave the media its first glimpse inside the Buffalo factory.
Employees described it as a “dog and pony” show that was planned by Tesla for over a month. They said Tesla had walls built to hide unused equipment and blocked off large areas.
This brought back a memory of my Megacorp from 35 years ago. The CEO was visiting the site. They literally painted walls and put in new carpeting down specific paths through the site where they knew the CEO would go! This was an internal dog and pony show!
I may criticize Telsa for some stuff, but this concept of a dog and pony show for the press is way too widespread. Happens too much these days.
The article above has a bunch more stuff about the Gigafactory if you choose to care.

Jack Benny knew a winner when he saw it

Tesla is old news. Why not a car named after an even greater electrical pioneer: James Clerk Maxwell.

Attachments

• Jack Benny's Maxwell.jpg
    Jack Benny's Maxwell.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 17
Tesla is old news. Why not a car named after an even greater electrical pioneer: James Clerk Maxwell.

Man, this thread's boring, can we shut it down? :LOL:

Seriously! I'm unsubscribing. :LOL:

<For the excitable, this is a joke draining over from another thread>

Dry electrode battery

If any of the dry electrode claims are half true, then Tesla batteries may be set for a big improvement. Some excerpts from a fan of the purchase of Maxwell Tech:

"Tesla recently acquired Maxwell Technologies, an ultracapacitor and battery component manufacturer that's working to provide improved energy storage capabilities."

"With these breakthroughs, Tesla has become a much stronger company and its future is looking increasingly bright. Priced at almost $313 per share at the time this article was written, I believe Tesla can achieve a price of $415 by the end of the year through more steady profits and increased production capacity."

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4238584-teslas-largest-competitive-advantage

We had a poster here that reported a solar roof was being installed in their neighborhood. I think it may have been a Tesla employee trial installation. I was looking forward to hearing updates from the member but haven’t seen anything.

I wonder how the various fire, building and zoning codes affect getting a solar tile roof installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom